ATV Florida Forum

General => Tech Corner => Topic started by: hondarider95 on January 20, 2007, 06:48:36 AM

Title: Painting frame
Post by: hondarider95 on January 20, 2007, 06:48:36 AM
Ok, I am pulling the engine on my 400ex(as some of you may have read). So I am going to go ahead and paint the frame while I am at it, cause its go some light rust spots in some places, and the paint is worn too. I was thinking powder coat first, until I saw how much it is. Then I read that pj1 frame paint works well. I was thinking about getting paint stripper on it, pressure washing it, sanding it, 1-2 coats prime, 3-4 coats of paint, 1-2 clear coat. What do you all think?

The other question is what color? I am thinking the following:
1. black frame/subframe and red a-arms
2. black frame/subframe and black a-arms
3. same original silver paint

Let me know what you all think would look best. Anyone got any pictures of painted frames? Anyone ever used that pj1 stuff?



Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: Toomey on January 21, 2007, 01:27:50 AM
Either all silver or all black.  The red and black combo screams done at home paint job for some reason.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: klutchbuster400 on January 21, 2007, 01:49:16 AM
I say blue!
Lmk's 400ex looked awesome in red and blue.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: Eric5555 on January 21, 2007, 03:06:44 AM
all black
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: TRX450R_Racer on January 21, 2007, 04:10:23 AM
Anything except stock colors.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: cutngrs on January 21, 2007, 04:17:42 AM
take it and get it sandblasted  its only about $30  well worth it  its a pain in the a$$ doin it your self
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: hondarider95 on January 21, 2007, 07:13:37 AM
Thanks for all the input. I think I will go all black frame/subframe and a-arms. Will it look ok if I leave my swing arm silver, I think so, but just checking to see what you all think. Also has anyone used this pj1 paint? I pulled the engine out tonight. I got to open it up and see what all I need. But I plan to order my piston, rings, timing chain, gasket kit, and a bunch of that frame paint tomorrow. Then I can start striping down the frame while I wait for my parts to come in. I will get you all some pics.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: xr100racer on January 21, 2007, 07:25:39 PM
Quote from: cutngrs on January 21, 2007, 04:17:42 AM
take it and get it sandblasted  its only about $30  well worth it  its a pain in the a$$ doin it your self

Indeed
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: hondarider95 on January 22, 2007, 05:29:13 AM
How many cans of paint do you think it will take? I was thinking the following:

2-3 cans of primer
5-6 cans of black
3-4 cans of clear

Let me know what you all think. I want to order this paint asap. Also I think I will get it sand blasted.

Also I started tearing down the engine today, will finish tomorrow and take necessary measurements to figure out what all I need to order. Check out my other post for more info.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: TRX450R_Racer on January 22, 2007, 03:30:05 PM
That should be more than enough.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: hondarider95 on January 22, 2007, 04:17:59 PM
So should I get this?

2 cans primer
5 cans paint
3 cans clear

Hows that sound? I want to try and get this stuff ordered asap.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: TRX450R_Racer on January 22, 2007, 04:22:25 PM
Quote from: hondarider95 on January 22, 2007, 04:17:59 PM
So should I get this?

2 cans primer
5 cans paint
3 cans clear

Hows that sound? I want to try and get this stuff ordered asap.

I think so.
Title: Re: Painting frame
Post by: hondarider95 on January 22, 2007, 04:31:44 PM
So should I go ahead and order that? How many cans does each coat take? They are 16oz cans. I was thinking a coat per can or can and a half. Let me know what you all think.

Thanks