http://img116.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010005largeww2.jpg
http://img443.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010007largevd5.jpg
http://img402.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010016largehf1.jpg
http://img407.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010022largeib4.jpg
:'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
I'm going to try and repair it but fat chance of it holding up.
damn bro..... thats ugly !! !! is that a peice missing out of the cylinder?? where is that peice??
remember its down in there some where..... :'( engine running lean?? i feel your pain !! !! i have been there many times!! :N
Its a piece of the sleeve, that separated from the rest of it and the cylinder casting itself. I pulled the reed cage to check on the reeds, because earlier in the day it had started running kind of crappy and I found the brand new boyesen carbon fiber reeds had like a 1/4 inch gap from the cage. They were fine when I put them on, but regardless I flipped em around and put it back together. Everything inside the motor looked fine at the time. After making a couple test runs in a field out here by my house it started bogging and running crappy again and died on me. It cranked right back up. Idled fine and I went slowly back to the shop . I figured the reeds musta been defective and already warped out of place or something. I pulled the intake again and found a curious little sliver of flat metal laying in the intake, with the side of the piston all chewed up. I pulled the head and the intake side of the cylinder was all scuffed up, exhaust looked fine. It was dark and I didn't pull the cylinder off until today but thats what I found. Has ANYONE every heard of a piece of sleeve seperating in the middle of the bore?? I've seen the bottom corners that extend down into the cases break off before but never anything like this...
That cylinder would have to have been re-sleeved improperly to do anything like that. P.M. me if you are serious about getting it back by the 20th. I have some stuff I could sell to get you going again.
if it has no scuffs on the exhaust then i would have to say it was a crappy sleeve !! !!
i have NEVER seen this happen...... most likely vibration got to it and it finaly broke off becuase it was not huging the cylinder itself..... gonna need a new cylinder man.... the stock cylinder does not resleeve well. which is probebly why you are in this boat in the first place... :(
we got a couple of stock cylinders we could sell you but i dont think i have any pistons to fit the cylinders i have.... contact scott if you are interested......
Thats a stock sleeve...still has the 88 and the honda part code stamped into the bottom ear of it. Scott I will PM you, I will be in the St. Marks area tomorrow visiting family, maybe I could pick it up from you then?
all our parts are at my shop in moulrtie...... ??? sorry bro...... :N i could ship it to your house.... ;)
I'm not that far south of Moultrie.
I "ramped" the edges where the piece broke out and also worked on the piston a little bit to knock off the high places as best as I could. I was looking at it though, do the rings go down that far? I don't think they do. If they don't, I don't see how it could hurt it as bad. Not like a ring is going to jump out of spot and catch it. Just more pressure on the sides beside the transfers and the other bridge would be the main draw back I guess. I need to get the grinding dust cleaned out of it and put the piston back in and see where it stands.
http://img70.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010043largeha4.jpg
http://img53.imageshack.us/my.php?image=p1010031largeam2.jpg
Well I was thinking about running it until a friend reminded me what would happen if I was broadslide in a turn and the rear wheels locked up >:( Scott, did you get my PM? My computer was acting up at the time.
hey im only 30 miles away from moultrie billy! give me a shout if I can help~!
Billy, are you fixed? Looks like we have 3 trikes signed up now!
Billy,
I got your P.M. and responded to it yesterday. I have 2 extra stock cylinders, both with mild MX style porting on them and can still run on pump gas. They are in Moultrie though. If you can get a piston(ask Derek what size to get) and gasket set I'll spot you the cylinder and just pay me when I see you next time at the races.
Hey Chris, are these guys from my site or someone else? The more the better! I put the topend back together, and then had a bad head gasket leak. I pulled the head off and replaced the gasket with a new 69mm "big bore" one from cometic. Now, I believe I have a crank seal that is bad or something. I didn't have any smoke at all before and all of a sudden its just going like a freight train. I haven't had good luck with this thing at all, about ready to pickup another old reliable CR500 motor and drop down in it. I will work on it some more this weekend and try and get it figured out.
Scott I did get your PM. I guess its not as urgent anymore since we arent racing this weekend, and I can't make it to the race next weekend because of prior obligations. I've got a spare 87 cylinder here that I can use, but It needs bored and a piston also. I just didn't have anything to bolt back on and use until I repaired the original one. I actually think it'll probably hold up fine now that I ramped that edge of the sleeve, rings don't come down that far anyways.
Hey Billy,
I dont know where they came from. I just received two emails within a week out each other asking if we race trikes and if they can join.