Voters choose to amend the constitution to make it more difficult for the government to forcibly take individuals lands for development purposes.
Amendment 8 prohibits governments from using eminent domain to take property for private development unless approved by three-fifths of the House and Senate.
I'm not sure how this effects, if at all, the nature conservancy and other organizations who claim to be pro environment.
It won't stop Nature's Conservacy..key words are private development...still can get it under many other isues, like, flood plain, endangered species, destruction of endangered specis, and the list goes on.
Quote from: indianjoe on November 08, 2006, 09:36:35 PM
It won't stop Nature's Conservacy..key words are private development...still can get it under many other isues, like, flood plain, endangered species, destruction of endangered specis, and the list goes on.
That's true.
Atleast we can try to work with conservationists. I mean the land will still be there, not some condo's. I am glad it passed because I have a big problem with the government taking my land to give to a developer. I would have died fighting for my land, because they arent taking something I worked hard for just to give to some dude making money off of it.
Ya but you might not make out of the reservation alive...... ??? ??? ???
Do Mayans count?
Indian Joe is correct on this. The government is exempt from this form of eminent domain. They can still take what they want. They can't take it and give/sell it to private developers.
Sucks because it happened to me. I owned at the 8 square miles in the Everglades......
Sad that you think you own something that you purchase with your hard earned money and sweat and they can just take it from you. And to think this is America not Cuba.,......
Actually, I thought I lived in Guatemala, hence the question regarding Mayans!
Quote from: miamigirlrider on November 08, 2006, 10:49:27 PM
Sucks because it happened to me. I owned at the 8 square miles in the Everglades......
Sad that you think you own something that you purchase with your hard earned money and sweat and they can just take it from you. And to think this is America not Cuba.,......
They failed to compensate you?
Usually you can make quite a profit on these deals. The govt. has no problem spending our money to avoid comdemnation litigation.
Miamigirlrider is correct and what they did to the landowners in the Glades can be repeated elsewhere, you might not make any profit and actually depending on the circumstances could take a loss.
Go to these links to see what is in their bullseye.....it is sad... :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/acquisition/FloridaForever/FFAnnual/Projects/A.2.Florida%20Forever%20List.pdf
http://www.dep.state.fl.us/lands/acquisition/FloridaForever/FFAnnual/default.htm
This amendement that passed is all but useless. It really does nothing to protect the land owner, it just helps the municipality if they can prove that it will improve an area.
Does anyone know if the "Bombing Range Ridge" in Polk County includes River Ranch?
If you don't know what I mean, check out indianjoe's links.
Quote from: otto on November 10, 2006, 03:02:34 AM
Does anyone know if the "Bombing Range Ridge" in Polk County includes River Ranch?
If you don't know what I mean, check out indianjoe's links.
if i remember looking at the maps correctly it includes part of river ranch
Quote from: SomBch on November 09, 2006, 08:00:26 PM
This amendement that passed is all but useless. It really does nothing to protect the land owner, it just helps the municipality if they can prove that it will improve an area.
Well, its like the lesser of the 2 evils. If my land is being taken I atleast want it to go to a school or powerplant or someting like that. Not a walmart or homedepot...
Bombing rnage ridge is River Ranch..Just like the Holopaw part is in the Holopaw riding area.
Quote from: MadMudder on November 10, 2006, 03:39:56 AM
Quote from: SomBch on November 09, 2006, 08:00:26 PM
This amendement that passed is all but useless. It really does nothing to protect the land owner, it just helps the municipality if they can prove that it will improve an area.
Well, its like the lesser of the 2 evils. If my land is being taken I atleast want it to go to a school or powerplant or someting like that. Not a walmart or homedepot...
The law doesnt say that it wont go to a private company, what it says is that there has to be a 3/5 vote on it. And thats why its useless , because if your rep for your district is in the pocket of developers(like most of them are) your still losing your property.So, in reality there is no "lesser evil". I blaim the developers and others who support this type of "land grab" technique for confusing the voter into thinking it is a good thing.
You're right.
Quote from: SomBch on November 10, 2006, 02:07:05 PM
Quote from: MadMudder on November 10, 2006, 03:39:56 AM
Quote from: SomBch on November 09, 2006, 08:00:26 PM
This amendement that passed is all but useless. It really does nothing to protect the land owner, it just helps the municipality if they can prove that it will improve an area.
Well, its like the lesser of the 2 evils. If my land is being taken I atleast want it to go to a school or powerplant or someting like that. Not a walmart or homedepot...
The law doesnt say that it wont go to a private company, what it says is that there has to be a 3/5 vote on it. And thats why its useless , because if your rep for your district is in the pocket of developers(like most of them are) your still losing your property.So, in reality there is no "lesser evil". I blaim the developers and others who support this type of "land grab" technique for confusing the voter into thinking it is a good thing.
Wow, I didint know that... In that case, we should have an ammendment in 08 that gets rid of this crap completly. I can see when a region or area is just getting started and there going to need land for a powerplant or something like that. But as developed and commericalizied floirda is, its just the goverment taking your rights away.
They can't take MY land away. I'm an AMERICAN!!!
My family lost 100 acres to the government for an expressway... sure we got money for it but we didn't have a choice
My sister lives in Sarento in Heathrow Estates ( pretty swanky hood ) and they want to run a reliever road through this guys cow pasture behind t the other side of her house. They havent given the owner any choices exept to give up his land. So, I asked isnt there another route that could be used? Their answer: Well , there is but, it goes through an area that bears normally inhabit. DID YOU HEAR THAT! BEARS!!!! So, I had to ask : Did you give a RATS ASS about the bears when you ok'd all the houses in this area to get built? Bears !!!, wtf will they think of next?
My family lost a Marina in Coconut Grove (Miami) to Emminent Domain. The county claimed it would be better suited as a park. This was in the late 70's early 80's. They let the land sit there dormant for 7 or so years, until it fell out of the court systems. Then sold it to Monty Trainer (now known as Monty's Bar and Grill) who had the city commisioners in his pocket from the get go.
I do not have any faith in the systems to protect your private land from the state.
This is local govts. modus operandi. This crap has gotta stop. Perhaps some class action suits with jury trials will end this palm greazing theivery.
Palm Beach County Commissioner Tony Masiloti is now up on Federal charges for pulling this kind oh horse$h-t.