Poll
Question:
Should this be stickied?
Option 1: Yes!
votes: 10
Option 2: No. Post to explain why plz.
votes: 4
Option 3: Yes, But more information is needed. Plz comment.
votes: 1
Please
DO NOT disobey the laws. I think this law needs to be stickied here, with a warning that any wreckless and/or irresponsible driving and behavior could get your county to opt out and it will be once again completely illegal to ride quads in your county.
1. If your county chooses to opt out due to wreckless driving and numerous complaints, tickets and impounding of ATVs will once again be possible.
2. Maybe PBSO_Deputy could chime in but, I'm not sure if dirtbikes are considered ATVs and therefore allowed to ride on dirt roads. It might be possible that dirtbikes are still illegal to drive on dirt roads.
Quote from: PBSO_ATV_Deputy_4316.2123 Operation of an ATV on certain roadways.--
(1) The operation of an ATV, as defined in s. 317.0003, upon the public roads or streets of this state is prohibited, except that an ATV may be operated during the daytime on an unpaved roadway where the posted speed limit is less than 35 miles per hour by a licensed driver or by a minor under the supervision of a licensed driver. The operator must provide proof of ownership pursuant to chapter 317 upon request by a law enforcement officer.
(2) A county is exempt from this section if the governing body of the county, by majority vote, following a noticed public hearing, votes to exempt the county from this section.
History.--s. 14, ch. 2006-290.
316.183 Unlawful speed.--
(1) No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway at a speed greater than is reasonable and prudent under the conditions and having regard to the actual and potential hazards then existing. In every event, speed shall be controlled as may be necessary to avoid colliding with any person, vehicle, or other conveyance or object on or entering the highway in compliance with legal requirements and the duty of all persons to use due care.
Whoever voted NO needs to explain why.
ok yall i aint the sharpest tool but am i allowed to take my 4 wheeler out to a dirt road w/ a speed limit under 35mph in brevard
I'm not sure of what counties have or haven't opted out. I hope someone that knows the list of who has opted out can chime in.
This is almost a hopeless battle. But lets keep our fingers crossed.
I think if we can get a majority of the atv riding community to listen then there might be a chance for some counties.
Dude, ATV'ers are the slackest when it comes to doing anything to help themselves retain or create a future.
Good luck in your counties. Call your county comissioners. They have a telephone. It may take some work to get them and that's where the slacking starts. So many armchair generals who can post anything at anytime, but do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN REAL LIFE TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE.
PBC received about 2 calls in to the county comissioners office to see what can be done to provide land for OHV use. Big whoopie fart. Way to go people. If you think things will happen all by themselves, they will and if you don't help make those descisions someone else will and you will probably cry that it wasn't what you wanted.
Someone broke their you know what to make this state adopt a new law pertaining ATV's specifically. Now you have to run with it and ride safe and smart and call your local government!! Make yourself heard. Just say you support the new law and want to keep it alive and expanded. Mark T. Schmitt law is Florida LAW!! Make it known you want it enforced! We could work together with environmental groups to save land from hungry develepers. We just have to do SOMETHING other than pregnant dog in this open forum. This was the first of baby steps towards land for recreation. There is money. You just have to work together to make it known you want these parks.
sorry for the long winded rant
Quote from: mudnuri on October 15, 2006, 01:50:12 PM
Dude, ATV'ers are the slackest when it comes to doing anything to help themselves retain or create a future
Mayb on atvfl , but have you popped into atvmiaxtreme lately? They are ALWAYS doing things to save the sport , they even get their kids , and their kids friends involved in it.I dont ride anymore , I got out , but it IS possible , and ATVMiaXtreme has shown that.
I agree. Nothing we do to phone the commisioners is going to change the wreckless driving that some stupid riders do. Why can't people just enjoy the riding? Do wheelies and stuff on dirt roads that are away from houses that can complain guys.
I am very good friends with atvmiaxtreme and northport offroad. They are willing to come into Collier county and help with the battles we face here, and in return i go to the meetings they have in Miami and help them out however i can. But they are the exception, but they also recognize what's at stake. You are talking generational change forever,change that not only affects me, but will affect my great grand kids. WE can sit on our a$$es and talk about what we did to our bikes, or what the truck brought or whatever, but if we dont stand up in be heard, you will have to stick the atv up your butt hole....
The way it's going, ATVs will be an ancient thing that you can only drive on private property if you have a permit.
Per the below definition, dirt bikes, golfcarts and wheel buggies aren't covered by the new law. Personally, I overlook golfcarts unless there are more than 4 people on it...makes them unstable......
317.0003 Definitions.--As used in this chapter, the term:
(1) "ATV" means any motorized off-highway or all-terrain vehicle 50 inches or less in width, having a dry weight of 900 pounds or less, designed to travel on three or more low-pressure tires, having a seat designed to be straddled by the operator and handlebars for steering control, and intended for use by a single operator and with no passenger.
Quote from: mike90 on October 15, 2006, 01:59:52 PM
Quote from: mudnuri on October 15, 2006, 01:50:12 PM
Dude, ATV'ers are the slackest when it comes to doing anything to help themselves retain or create a future
Mayb on atvfl , but have you popped into atvmiaxtreme lately? They are ALWAYS doing things to save the sport , they even get their kids , and their kids friends involved in it.I dont ride anymore , I got out , but it IS possible , and ATVMiaXtreme has shown that.
Guys that was me. lol. mike90 left his s/n logged in on my comp
I hope rednecks in our town here find out about OHV meeting this tue
here in live oak.. Yeah i know alot rednecks ride atvs on dirt roads here mcalpin and uselly on weekends they do here. I hope Suwwnnee county don't Opt here and i would love have more friendly
riders here in my area to ride out here to have good time out here!!!
Its on the agenda for Levy County Tuesday morning and I will be there to speak up.
I think that stuff people have been saying about lining up hundreds of quads and rallying on a main road might be legal now, given it's a dirt road. :O
They have to be licensed, they are not an ATV.
heck yes o one wants to get a ticket
Quote from: MachineDog on October 16, 2006, 03:19:16 PM
I think that stuff people have been saying about lining up hundreds of quads and rallying on a main road might be legal now, given it's a dirt road. :O
You are on to something! Must have positive news story. Although the networks only want to dedicate the last 30 seconds to anything good. All the rest is doom and gloom.
I'm locking the voting until everyone who's voted no could explain why. It seems kinda stupid not to sticky something like this.
Quote from: mudnuri on October 18, 2006, 09:52:28 PM
Quote from: MachineDog on October 16, 2006, 03:19:16 PM
I think that stuff people have been saying about lining up hundreds of quads and rallying on a main road might be legal now, given it's a dirt road. :O
You are on to something! Must have positive news story. Although the networks only want to dedicate the last 30 seconds to anything good. All the rest is doom and gloom.
We could do this, all that could happen would be a $74.50 non moving violation for each quad. I spend more then that to ride every time I go riding. Would make a heck of a story.
They're legal though on dirt roads. I know that some counties have opted out though. I wouldn't think they'd give out violations to something legal.
Quote from: yunt2ride on October 19, 2006, 10:14:56 AM
Quote from: mudnuri on October 18, 2006, 09:52:28 PM
Quote from: MachineDog on October 16, 2006, 03:19:16 PM
I think that stuff people have been saying about lining up hundreds of quads and rallying on a main road might be legal now, given it's a dirt road. :O
You are on to something! Must have positive news story. Although the networks only want to dedicate the last 30 seconds to anything good. All the rest is doom and gloom.
We could do this, all that could happen would be a $74.50 non moving violation for each quad. I spend more then that to ride every time I go riding. Would make a heck of a story.
for 5 quads and the increase in insurance price ill stay outta that one.
anyway y cant a dirt bike be ridden? that bites. the government is as bad as RR now. >:( :'(