I need to know what size allen head goes to take off the cover to access the magnito to line it up with the I mark.
When I adjust the valves.. What am I actually doing other than checking the clearence? Once I check the clearence, what do I actually adjust?
I dont have to buy a shim kit do I?
You do have to buy a shim kit. Changing shims is how you vary the clearance.
if you need the manual, i think i have it electronic
Quote from: Chillinthemost on August 23, 2006, 03:27:16 PM
You do have to buy a shim kit. Changing shims is how you vary the clearance.
Damn. I was dreading that!!
Quote from: backinsaddle on August 23, 2006, 03:28:55 PM
if you need the manual, i think i have it electronic
Thanks for the offer, but I have one too!
Ok, so adjusting the valves means replacing the shims?
I can go get a feeler gauge to check the clearence
Shim kit:(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gcsharkie1/hotcamsshimkit.jpg)
Feeler gauge:(http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y145/gcsharkie1/00999007000.jpg)
my idea is take it to bsy (our local yamaha shop) and they do it. they have a AMA mx team so they do a good job.
Well, im not completely mechanicly retarded.. So I know I can do it myself.
i can take a bike apart..........it is just the reassembly that gets me every time.
Well, the first bolt you take off should be the last to install.. Its just that easy!
it is the 200 in the middle that confuse me. i got this theory though. if you take something off like lets say plastics, you can put the bolt back in and then it is there and you dont lose it or get confused. it dont work like that all the time but it does sometimes. you guys probably already figured this out but it is still a good idea.
Quote from: Fox17 on August 24, 2006, 05:40:06 PM
it is the 200 in the middle that confuse me. i got this theory though. if you take something off like lets say plastics, you can put the bolt back in and then it is there and you dont lose it or get confused. it dont work like that all the time but it does sometimes. you guys probably already figured this out but it is still a good idea.
Not be be an mean person, but that is just plain common sense... ;)
i knew some idiot would say that.
I am not an idiot trying to make you look like a dumba$$, just saying that this is one of the many helpful little things you learn along the way as you work on your quad, just about everyone that I know does this, and yes you are right it is a great idea, everyone should do it, makes it alot simpler.... Sorry if you took that in the wrong way.
LOL. 2:L i was kidding. yea i figured everyone probably already did that but i just thought of it like 2 weeks ago.
A good thing to do is take pics and pos video, Also its good to have a second person for support when doing repairs new to you.