(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/kpmraiders/100_1875.jpg)(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/kpmraiders/100_1874.jpg)(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/kpmraiders/100_1873.jpg)(//)
nice
looks pretty dang good.. nice work.. ;)
Just a few more dollars and it will be finished.
so watcha gunna be jumpin that thing with?
Me a ltz 400 and 2 friends of mine with dirt bikes.
Maybe only 1 friend, the other was supposed to give me $200.00 to finish so we could jump this weekend, but he was convienently unavailable.
Quote from: Raiders43 on August 14, 2006, 01:14:27 AM
Maybe only 1 friend, the other was supposed to give me $200.00 to finish so we could jump this weekend, but he was convienently unavailable.
Hmmm first time welder.....
I'd let your friends jump first :D Do you already have a landing area and all that good stuff?
I do construction so I have access to dozers and such so my job has huge piles of dirt every where to manipulate into a landing.
Hey, if I come up with $200.00 bucks, can I be your new friend?
Where is this ramp going to see action?
All I need is the raised expanded metal for the top. I have a job in Dundee that has a large pile of dirt to use for a landing. If my broke a$$ friend gets off the money this week, Sat or Sun will be test day.
Looks like you did a nice job. :ThumbsUp.gif One suggestion, you may want to cross brace the back, from the ground to the tallest part of the ramp for some lateral stability
Nice ! I hope your homeowners association don't bust ur balls.
I don't have much metal left, do you think small lenghts in each corner of the back would work? Thanks for the input.
Looks sweet, like the color. Just curious, what plans did you use?
Quote from: backinsaddle on August 14, 2006, 02:10:03 AM
Looks like you did a nice job. :ThumbsUp.gif One suggestion, you may want to cross brace the back, from the ground to the tallest part of the ramp for some lateral stability
Do what he said^
Nice Job!
Quote from: Raiders43 on August 14, 2006, 02:22:46 AM
I don't have much metal left, do you think small lenghts in each corner of the back would work? Thanks for the input.
Don't know. i imagine the expanded metal will stiffen it up a bit. Get 3 or 4 guys up on the top for some weight (at least the weight of quad and rider) and see how stable it is (rock back and forth). If you have movement in the joints (instead of it lifting off the ground), you may need to stiffen. If not, you may be o.k. another option is to cross brace in the back, and in a second location maybe 1/2-2/3 the way back.
It is as close to the rev 1 plans as I could get.
What are you gonna use to cover up the lip?
those bars going vertical on the side are going to be taking some strain when you hit half way. i think you need to weld some bars diagnal to stiffen it up. probally nothing to worry about for a few test jumps but thats it it might collapse after a few . did you use wire or rod?...size? p.m me if you need any more info....but very very nice for first time.
I used 6013 rods, you mean braces at a 45 degree angle?
Quote from: klutchbuster400 on August 15, 2006, 08:29:16 PM
What are you gonna use to cover up the lip?
# 9 raised expanded metal
I think 561rincon and I are talking about bracing in different directions. I'm talking about cross bracing the big square as you look at the back of the jump. I'd cross brace there, skip a support, and cross brace the next (from one side of the ramp to the other, either an X or an A, X being stronger I would think). The second support probably isn't necessary, but would give me peace of mind if I built it. I think 561rincon is taking about bracing the opposite as the brace you have on the last and tallest support. Run a diagonal up from the bottom before the second tallest brace to where the third tallest attaches to the ramp curve, that's where a lot of the weight transfer will happen. Don't want to speak for 561rincon, but I think that's what he means?
Ask one of the quadsonly guys. They have a ramp(s), I've never built one, so they would probably know better.
To be safe, I think you should have some one hit it with a really heavy Utility Quad.
Who's gonna be the guinea pig?
Who gets to go first?
If you're going to do it somewhere in Lakeland, can I film it?
This has all the designs for making me 10,000 bucks on Amercias Funniest Home Videos, or perhaps I can sell it to Vonage for one of those commercials.
Any volunteers.
looking sweeeeeet, nice job. Our ramps are all different but the one we use most is the rev1. It has to be the smothest ramp ever. As far as the cross bracing they are all right. the X needs to be at the open end of the ramp and you need angled braces in it to counter act the weight and momentum of a quad hitting it.
There will be more force than you think. Our ramp that we are using at dreths show has been modified many times because of bending and tweaking.
You guys get used to that ramp and maybe we can get together and share some airtime!
Quote from: backinsaddle on August 16, 2006, 02:03:51 AM
I think 561rincon and I are talking about bracing in different directions. I'm talking about cross bracing the big square as you look at the back of the jump. I'd cross brace there, skip a support, and cross brace the next (from one side of the ramp to the other, either an X or an A, X being stronger I would think). The second support probably isn't necessary, but would give me peace of mind if I built it. I think 561rincon is taking about bracing the opposite as the brace you have on the last and tallest support. Run a diagonal up from the bottom before the second tallest brace to where the third tallest attaches to the ramp curve, that's where a lot of the weight transfer will happen. Don't want to speak for 561rincon, but I think that's what he means?
Ask one of the quadsonly guys. They have a ramp(s), I've never built one, so they would probably know better.
yes exactly and also 7018 rod will give the best strength.
Well???
WTF? You show us the ramp..get us all hot and bothered and then......................
nothing?
When can we see this thing in action?
I know of a 92' canal that needs jumping!
MUST OF BUCKLED! Or pray tell they forgot to surface ramp the thing and just hauled buggy right into the works! Alas, they were good men.
(http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k272/kpmraiders/100_2010.jpg)(//)
This is the only picture we took before the battery went dead. :'( All went well the ramp DID hold up and everyone liked it. Hopefully I will have better pics next weekend.
Wait a minute..I know that construction site.
Where was this picture taken?
That port a john looks familiar.
It's in Dundee, the only job we have with a big enough pile of dirt.
Grab that porta potty with the Lowell put it behind the ramp. Then send me a video of you jumping and crushing it.
I'll edit it into the video....only take some video of someone going into the port a potty first, and then cut the shot, I'll edit it like you're crushing someone in it.
(I wonder if this qualifies as "responsible riding:)
How much $$$ do you have into this ramp?? I was going to have our stair guy built one for me . But he just gave me a crazy price. So I think we will just build it ourselfs.
I think it would be cheaper to make him your new best friend.
Anyone want one built just buy the material and I'd weld her up cheap.
I have about $800.00 into with just material, labor I didn't count because I did it myself and it was kinda fun. But we have three people going in on it so it won't be but around #270.00 apiece.
Is this the first one you've ever jumped?
Was it a little intimidating at first?
Did anyone crash?
We built a big table top out of a pile of clay we had on that same job, and it was pretty big but when the clay was gone for use in the roads we planned on building one we could keep and just move where ever we wanted. The good thing is it will always be the same jump now. Before I would go and spend about an hour with a dozer getting everything smooth and we would ride on it for one day then the locals with utility 4-wheelers would mess the lip up and we would have to start over the next weekend. But other than the local tracks and the clay pile, this is the first metal jump I have ever done, and I have to say I LIKE IT!!
Quote from: UncleRico on September 04, 2006, 04:42:23 PM
Is this the first one you've ever jumped?
Was it a little intimidating at first?
Did anyone crash?
I dunno, but seeing a z400 jump it looks pretty cool!
We should bring that thing to Croom where it's nice and soft and sandy...we could jump up the hill like a step up, as we try out some new tricks...that way when we crash we don't break too many bones. Plus, the hospital is only a short helicopter ride away.
I'll distract them at the gate with my sliding thumb trick, and you sneak by with the GIANT SKY BLUE METAL KICKER jump.
Sounds good! Polk County is slightly closer though.
Looks like you guys did a fine job. ;) I think I'm going to have to go this route too. $800 that's not bad for a lifetime of fun. ;D