while at my house working very hard to get ready for the upcoming party (info in the group ride section)this hawk landed on my shed and then swooped down for a dead frog that was on my driveway. i was within 3 feet of him :o
http://media.putfile.com/hawk-on-my-van
thats pretty cool he didnt fly off
sweet you were close! you should have jumped on him! :o hahahahha
sitting on my shed
[attachment deleted by admin]
he sat there
[attachment deleted by admin]
like it was a photo op 8)
[attachment deleted by admin]
figured he would check out my hard work and grab some dinner :D
[attachment deleted by admin]
:o
[attachment deleted by admin]
he needed some tools to build a nest ::)
[attachment deleted by admin]
dinner time ;D
[attachment deleted by admin]
very cool dreth...wonder if it was once tame? or maybe injured and handled by humans???
it was very cool to have this happen. he was like a pet. he has been hanging around for a couple of days now and i never put it together :N hope yall enjoyed the scenery. ill keep an eye out now ;)
thats cool. looks like you got a new pet.
Very cool dreth!
I remember when I worked at the prison, we had one that would come onto the compound and sit on top of the buildings. Some of the inmates would catch frogs and toss them up into the air. That Hawk would snatch them mid-air and swoop away... only to come back a few more times a day. Frogs had to be alive though, he wouldn't snatch anything already dead :-\ .
Quote from: Ride1Rob on July 28, 2006, 01:46:05 PM
I remember when I worked at the prison, we had one that would come onto the compound and sit on top of the buildings. Some of the inmates would catch frogs and toss them up into the air. That Hawk would snatch them mid-air and swoop away... only to come back a few more times a day. Frogs had to be alive though, he wouldn't snatch anything already dead :-\ .
this frog was dead :-\ i thought it was weird
Cool shots Dreth, pretty neat when nature comes that close.
Pretty cool stuff. I one time saw a hawk like that snatch up one of my parent's chickens when I was a kid. I am man enough to admit that I cried, I was a little kid, what do you expect?
That little Moocher was at my house too! lol, j.k. I have the same kind of hawk, I live on a preserve so there are about 8 total and 5 bald eagles. Pretty neat to look at, but they make some annoying sounds.
(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/9165/picture0095fl.jpg)
(http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1751/picture0076ch.jpg)
(http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/2443/picture0087cu.jpg)
if u want to catch em do what i did yrs ago first build a half moon cage out of wire lathe and make a door in the side . on the top tie slip knots out of mono fishing line. then we went to kmart and bought a white mice. you also need a set of leather jesses for their feet and leather hood for head along with a welders glove. then we would drive around looking in the dead trees find one and drop the trap. hawks have good eyes so try to drop without them suspecting anything then drive about 1/2 down the road and wqait til they hit the trap and get caught up in the slip knot. hawks need a running start to fly again which gives u time to hood him up so he dont bite u and take him off the trap and put jesses on he's feet to hold em. florida law prohibits this now but in the 80's we did that every weekend i caught 5 red tails and the coolest was an albino all white very rare, along with a few sparrow hawks. they used to call me the falconeer peace