I'm relatively new to the atv scene, I just bought a couple new 250ex's in Feb. 2004. Well, I'm 6'2", 200 lbs and I want a bigger atv. I'm trying to sort out a deal online for an '03 400ex that's in west palm beach. What should I be looking for, problems areas, signs of abuse, etc? I will see and ride the bike before I get it, of course. I just don't want to get screwed so I'm looking for advice.
What I know about it so far is that he is NOT the original owner, it needs tires which he has bought but not put on, it's stock, and he's supposed to get new plastic for the front because he took the lights off and fab'ed his own panel but it keeps breaking or something. He's supposed to get me some pics tonight. I'm looking to trade him but the value of my trade is about $2200-2500.
I appreciate all responses and comments. Thanks.
just check the frame over and check for anything bent. Ummm see how it sounds listen for knocking ticking etc.
What are you trading him?
I'm trading a 69 VW right hand drive suicide doored bug project.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/bugdust69/RHD%20suicide%2069/rhd.jpg)
Oh, he said he just put a new sprockets and a dido? chain on it and went down one tooth on the front sprocket, for more torque?
He meant a D.I.D. chain. They're great chains.
When you get to see the bike see if he has started it before you got there. You might even call and make sure he doesn't start it prior to you getting there. This will let you see how the carb works on cold start , some can be a bear and it will also let you see if there is any excessive ring or valve guide wear by how bad or if it smokes when it starts. There also may be internal noises that will go away as it warms and things expand.Grab the front control arms and give them a good shake and see if there is any play in them. Look for shock leakage. Other then that like lmk suggested look for bends and make sure you get the vin and run it. I think the vin should also match the case numbers on the engine maybe someone else will know for sure.
I have a 400ex with a trinity 440 kit and its pretty bullet proof. Love it.
Good luck!
Thanks for the replies so far, keep them coming. If the deal works out he will be delivering it from W.P.B. to me in Middleburg so the quad should be cold.
Check everything everyone else said plus check the rear axle for any play in the bearing carrier(worn bearings), shake all your components at the joints to check for wear...ball joints tie rod ends etc.
an '03 that needs tires already? he runs it on the street a lot.
basically, I second all the advice given already.
Id@