Good news peeps, the Polk County Board of Commissioners have voted in our favor to open an OHV park. In the meeting this morning it was a unanimous vote in favor across the board. So it seems like we'll have a place to ride VERY SOON! There are a few different sites being considered as of now. They all agreed that the growth rate for OHV vehicles were on the rise and we need a legal place to go Polk County ranks 4th in the state in OHV sales and we were 3rd last year (Palm Beach County beat us out by 7 more sales). There was talk of Croom, Apalachicola State Park and ONF.
As far as acreage, I can't tell you. But talk of purchasing TECO property somewhere in the county looks to be the #1 site and a couple others being considered also. Hopefully more info will come as this begins to roll.
That's great news. They've been talking about this for years. It's about time :Clap.gif
Thats awesome!!! May be a bit aways, but im sure its worth it
That is fantastic news!
Great News! I am upset that they did not let me know about the meeting I have been in touch with commissioners and they never once told me this was on the agenda.
that would be nice
sound great!!! can't wait to hear more
finally a legal place to ride ;D ;D ;D
ANYONE HEAR ANYTHING NEW ABOUT THIS?
I just checked the Board of County Commisioners website and I didn't see any mention of the good news.
Does anyone have a link to the meeting that discussed the opening of an OHV park?
I think it would be a good idea if we emailed the commisioners (you can do so from the website) and express our approval and thanks to keep the momentum going on this thing.
I hope they look to Durhamtown, in Georgia for ideas.
thats good news Rob. do you have a website that we can email and show our support?
Actually, I was browsing the PCSO website and went to the online meeting through it. Just so happened they were talking about the OHV park as I began watching. They show those meetings live I think? So after watching it I couldn't find a link to the meeting again :( . Here's the link for the County Commissioners though.
http://www.polk-county.net/county_offices/commissioners/index.aspx
I'll try and see if they have a link to that meeting somewhere.
Okay... for all the non believers, just click this link and look on the 3rd agenda for this meeting on the 10th of this month. Doesn't go into detail, just pretty much states that this plan has been approved.
http://www.polk-county.net/InternetV4/county_offices/commissioners/docs/agenda/Age051006.pdf
Or read this...
POLK COUNTY
MEETING AGENDA – MAY 10, 2006
CALL TO ORDER - 9:00 a.m. - Jack Myers Chairman
NVOCATION – Jim Freeman, Deputy County Manager
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE - Jack Myers, Chairman
A. APPROVE CONSENT AGENDA APPROVED – Also, See 5/10/06 Addendum
B. PRESENTATIONS and RECOGNITIONS
1. Colleen Burton, Executive Director for Polk Vision, to present an update on Polk Vision.
2. Consider adoption of a Resolution of Communities for a Lifetime supporting efforts to make
Polk County a better place for older adults to live, providing all residents with the opportunity to
achieve their full potential and contribute to the betterment of their communities. APPROVED
3. Jack Terrell, All Terrain Vehicle Committee, to update the Board on the revived need and
justification for the committee to continue their work and ask for the Board's approval to do so.
APPROVED
C. PROCLAMATIONS
1. Proclaim May 2006 as TEEN PREGNANCY PREVENTION AWARENESS MONTH. Terri
Chambers, Healthy Start Coalition of Hardee, Highlands, & Polk Counties, Inc., will accept the
proclamation. APPROVED
2. Proclaim May 6-12, 2006, as NURSE'S WEEK. Sean McMicken, ARNP, President, Florida
Nurses Association, District 12, will accept the proclamation. APPROVED
3. Proclaim May 13-20, 2006, as TOURISM WEEK. Mark Jackson, Polk County Tourism/Sports
Marketing Director, will accept the proclamation. APPROVED
4. Proclaim May 14-20, 2006, as EMERGENCY MEDICAL SERVICES WEEK. Harvey Craven,
Polk County Emergency Medical Services Medical Control Manager, will accept the
proclamation. APPROVED
5. Proclaim May 21-27, 2006, as PUBLIC WORKS WEEK. Martha Malkowski, Facilities
Management Division Office Manager, will accept the proclamation. APPROVED
D. PUBLIC HEARING TO CONSIDER SETTLEMENT
1. Public Hearing to consider approval of a settlement with the landowner in the case of Polk
County vs. Snead, et al., Parcel No: 111, Case No: 53-2005-CA-004590-0110, an eminent
domain taking for the construction of improvements to Yarborough Lane in Polk County,
Florida. APPROVED
2. Public Hearing to consider offer of settlement in the claim of Jeffery Peterson and Kris
Huggins. APPROVED
Good deal, Rob!
The links to the commissioners email are on the Polk County Board of Commissioners website.
I think you should take the time to voice your encouragement for this endeavor.
I just fired off an email to voice my approval.
Jack Terrell is the man, folks! He's been fighting the fight for a few years, now. Thank you Jack. And, more good news for Big Cypress.
http://www.arra-access.com/arra/cypress_comments.html?member_key=e6i63n2o5b378x&