Hello and Thanks for reading! I'm brand new to the sport of ATVing. I'm really interested in purchasing a 4x4 ATV for hunting, mudding, and exploring. So far what I'm interested in getting is a Polaris 500 EFI Sporstman or Bombardier Outlander 650 XT. I want an ATV that will go thru pratically anything and hardly ever get stuck, this is the reason I'm staying away from the 700 and 800's. I plan to buy a winch also. I really just want to buy a great bike now, so I don't have to spend more money in the future for a better one. Does anyone have any recommendations or tips as to which ATV to get?? Thanks again!
You will not be disappointed in the Polaris 500 HO. I have two of them and had a Polaris 325 magnum before that and very well pleased. There are other quads out there and as long as you get a name brand you will be OK
If those are the bikes you are thinking about buying , I say get the Bombardier 650. It is a true 650CC Bike, and ATV Magazine voted it ATV of the year in ATV Magazine , If you do go Bombardier get a Front Bumper on it ASAP.
I have been a yamaha fan all the way, but this weekend I rode a Suzuki 700 King Quad. Let me tell you, if I don't purchase another Rhino, I will purchase a King Quad. The ride,steering,handling were superb to say the least. Take a look at the King Quad, you won't be disappointed.
If you dont want to get stuck you may want to look at the Honda Foreman Rubicon. They seem to go through anything with the right setup. I would say that just about any bike sitting stock has a good chance of getting stuck.
As bigscrub said. Any quad with stock tires has a good chance of getting stuck. Be sure to put good mud tires on it.
the bomb 650 is probably a great bike. if u get the xt package it comes with a winch, heavy duty bumpers, handguards, and more agressive tires. my dad has the 400 and it is a great bike.
So I take it everyone here is leaning more towards the Bombardier Outlander. Do you think I should get the 800 or do you think that is over kill and should just go for the 650?
Thanks for your input!
That Bomb 800 is freaking sick. I saw a guy last weeknd with 29.5 Outlaws on one and it would smoke the tires.
Also going along with what I was saying before, people keep telling me to get a light bike. The only problem is all of the 4x4's are heavy bikes unless you get a 300cc, which in my opinion is too small. That is why I like the Bomb Outlander 800 and 650, there a respectfully light for there size class. Is weight that important of an issue?
Quote from: 05greengriz on April 11, 2006, 07:47:49 PM
I have been a yamaha fan all the way, but this weekend I rode a Suzuki 700 King Quad. Let me tell you, if I don't purchase another Rhino, I will purchase a King Quad. The ride,steering,handling were superb to say the least. Take a look at the King Quad, you won't be disappointed.
I love mine and if you want a great all around bike the KQ is it.
Please ride all you can because what others like you may not!
A lot of what you hear is personal opinion.
Cheers, CyCole
Ps. No matter what you get you will have a great time
Also be safe
We own an Bomb outlander 400 4x4, it will walk through anything...Go with the Bomb all the way...The 800 is a bad A$$ bike...
I have a Kawasaki Brute Force 750 and I love it ! It's fast, powerfull and weighs only 600 pounds which is about 200 less than most quads it's size. I have the stock tires on it still (though I ordered new 27" mudlites on C-6 wheels) and I haven't gotten stuck yet. And I've taken it through some thick mud. I'm sure partly I've been lucky, and partly because of the light weight, power, independant rear suspension, and the limited slip differential for the front wheels. Give it a look.
Well, My dad owns a 2004 Polaris 500 H.O. Sportsman. Let me just say this...
- It pushes 1,000 Pounds with a full tank of gas, racks,winch and a 210 pound adult.
- The stock tires for 2004 were Carsile (dunno how 2 spell it) Badlands. Lets just say they earned the nickname Baldlands...
But it is still a great quad. It has a locking front differental and with a good set of tires would be almost unstoppable. But I would recommend one of the two bombardiers. The 800 with gas and rider weighs about 200 pounds less than a sportsman dry. Now that 800 is allot of bike. It would take a full grown man and some muscle to handle all that bike. Plus if money is a factor then you might want to think smaller. Now not to say that the 650 is slow. I mean its a 650.. I would imagine the 650 would weigh less. And im almost positive it would have almost the same ground clerance. So it is ultimatley up to you. And if you have the money and the size the 800 would be your machine. But if youre on a budget or don't feel comftorable with almost 60 hp under you, then you'll b happy on the 650.
I've been doing a lot of research lately on bikes, including the tips and opinions all of you have given me. I'm noticed everyone seems to favor Bombardier over any other brand, especially the 800. I am also starting to favor the Bombardier's also. One huge difference I noticed is the 800 Outlander is remarkably lighter then any other ATV in its class. At 639 lbs. it is lighter then most ATV's in its class by a little more then 125 lbs!
I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to which Outlander I should get? The MAX (2 seater) is a nice option to have, but seems a little long. Does the length make a huge difference on an ATV or is an extra 10 inches no big deal? Also could you get the regular single seater Outlander and convert it to a 2 seater, so you don't necessarily have to go with the longer ATV?
By the way this Forum rocks! It's like having a conversation with several hundred, experienced, knowledgeable ATV riders. Thanks again everyone! ;D
Funny you should mention that. Atv television just did a test on the Outlander 800 two seater. I just watched it cause i got Tivo (hehe) They actually said that the larger one felt allot more stable. They seemed to perfer it over the regular outlander. Now, the anwser to your question about the conversion is no. I mean you can put a nice seat on the back of the normal one. But sooner or later the government is goining to make 2 up riding w/o a speclized bike illegal. The max has the second seat built in and it has footrests for the passenger. So if you plan to have a passenger allot then i would defintly go with the max. Or if the bigger bike would suit you better than get it anyway...
I don't mind spending the money on a bigger bike. I'm just worried about taming the beast; touching the throttle and the 800 busting a wheely, me flying off the back, and the bike slamming into the nearest object. Does anyone own an 800 Outlander that can tell me if this is true?
Well its not that bad. Now if you had a V8 then.... Na but it is the most powerful atv ever made. 28% more powerful than the polaris 800 and 25% more the the Brute Force. Thats why it would be smart to get the max version. Becasue even if nobody ever rides with you then you will still have that extra bike to dull the power down to breakneck ;D
Get the BOMB 800!! Rotax,EFI,4X4,Ect...... It's the best 4X4 OUT!!!! 8)
What do you guys think about getting a King Quad and deckign it out with all the bells and whistles with the money that I'd save by not buy a bomb? Anyone have any opinions on a Suzuki King Quad 700??
Alright after reading everyones comments (thanks alot everyone!) and doing a lot of research, I've finally made my decision..........
I'm getting a Bomb 800 XT ;D in camo and having the shop put on skid plates from front to back! I also may put ITP series 7 wheels with some chuncky tires.
This is a picture from the shop
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v617/MiamiMAPs/01.jpg)
Bike should be ready to pick up sometime next week. Needless to say I feel like a kid on the night before Christmas!! STOOOOKED!!!! ;D :D
Thanks again everyone and Happy Riding!
750 Brute Force ;)