I put a set of 26" tires and aftermarket ITP rims with the proper offset on my new Rincon. A friend put a set on his 06 Rubicon and we have the same question. It seem the front wheels on each bike apprear to be towed out a bit, is all we need to do is adjust the ty-rods a bit until the handle bars and wheels are straight. Any tech support would be appreciated, each bike has less than 20 miles on them and have not been ridden since the tires have been put on them.
Thanks, Bill
This is how i do it. Get the bars straight. Take 2 tie straps and hook them on the bars tawords the ends. Then hook them to the rear rack or grab bar in a cross. This will keep the bars straight the whole time. Loosen the tie rod nuts. I use 2 yard sticks and a tape measure. You need 2 people to do it. You both hold a yard stick up against each front tire pointing to the front and back of the machine. Then use the tape measure to measure in front of the wheels the distance between thw yard sticks. The go behind the front wheels and measure that distance then adjust the tie rods accordingly. I hope this helps I can add pictures tonight when I get home if you want.
If you have time I would appreciate it, it will help. I was just concerned there might be a problem. I start working midnight tonight for a couple nights and wanted to gather as much information until I get a chance to do it on Monday. Does the larger tires just make the alignment look funny because I will put the stock tires back on when I ride in sand? I am sorry to be so stupid about this, again thanks for the help.
I'm not familiar with utility quads, but I think the toe was messed up when you bought it. I checked mine when I got my quad and it wasn't right. I think the bigger tires just make it look worse. I will get you some pictures tonight.
If you get a chance please post those pictures. I will be doing the job tomorrow.
You should just take it to Tire Kingdom. $29.95. ;)
Seriously though, Thats a great idea TRX, I can see how that would work pretty darn good.
Sorry it took so long I've been busy and forgot I said I would take these pictures. This is how you secure the bars to keep them straight.
(http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/toe2.jpg)
Then you need 2 people to hold the yard sticks like this on both front wheels. Pick a spot that is straight not on the raised letters on the tires.
(http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/toe1.jpg)
Then take a tape measure and mearuse in front of the tires like below picture shows. Then do the same behind the front tire and then adjust accordingly.
(http://www.members.aol.com/hondatrx450racer/toe.jpg)
Hope this clears things up.
That is how I imagined it going, thanks for the post and help. I'll let you know how it comes out.
Bill
Well it took some doing but I was able to do my Rincon and my buddy's Rubicon. I attached a picture and appreciate your help. Click on the picture and it will get a bit larger. My Rincon is on the left. I was told I would lose some power but it will still put the front wheels off the ground. I have only rode the bike once and not yet with the new tires, so I will have to see how it is in the sand.....
[attachment deleted by admin]
Glad to be able to help. The quads look killer!!
Thanks for the big ups on my bike and I really can't thank you enough for the help. I just can't wait to ride it. Where do you ride at in our area? Maybe we can hook up sometime.