>Something You Should Know About HOUSE FIRES Received from a friend
who is in the property insurance business. It is well worth reading. This
is one of those e-mails that if you didn't send it, rest assured someone
on your list will suffer for not reading it. The original message was
written by a lady whose brother and his wife learned a hard lesson this past
week. Their house burned down.. ..nothing left but ashes.. They have
good insurance so the house will be replaced and most of the contents.
That is the good news. However, they were sick when they found out the
cause of the fire. The insurance investigator sifted through the ashes for
several hours. He had the cause of the fire traced to the master bathroom.
He asked her sister-in-law what she had plugged in the bathroom. She listed
the normal things....curling iron, blow dryer. He kept saying to her,
"No, this would be something that would disintegrate at high temperatures".
Then her sister-in-law remembered she had a Glade Plug-In, in the bathroom.
The investigator had one of those "Aha" moments. He said that was the
cause of the fire. He said he has seen more house fires started with the
plug-in type room fresheners than anything else. He said the plastic they
are made from is THIN plastic. He also said that in every case there was
nothing left to prove that it even existed. When the investigator looked in the
wall plug, the two prongs left from the plug-in were still in there. Her sister-in-law had one of the
plug-ins that had a small night light built in it. She said she had noticed that
the light would dim and then finally go out. She would walk in to the
bathroom a few hours later, and the light would be back on again. The
investigator said that the unit was getting too hot, and would dim and go out
rather than just blow the light bulb. Once it cooled down it would come
back on.
That is a warning sign. The investigator said he personally
wouldn't have any type of plug in fragrance device anywhere in his house. He has
seen too many places that have been burned down due to them.
wow i would have never guessed!!!!! :o i am never putting those things in my house!!!!
thanks i told my mom to beware and watch them :o
FYI I found this on Snopes.com
http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/glade.asp
Those things don't work good in the bathroom anyways (at least not for me). I always just strike a match afterwards. ;D
Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on February 14, 2006, 11:25:13 AM
Those things don't work good in the bathroom anyways (at least not for me). I always just strike a match afterwards. ;D
I understand even a camp fire doesnt work 4 ya? :o
Quote from: SWAMP_DONKEY on February 14, 2006, 11:38:44 AM
Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on February 14, 2006, 11:25:13 AM
Those things don't work good in the bathroom anyways (at least not for me). I always just strike a match afterwards. ;D
I understand even a camp fire doesnt work 4 ya? :o
lol...Aint that the truth.
I've heard they start fires also. I can't believe they are still on the market.
Thanks for the heads up Swamp, I only have 15 of them in my house :o
Mine are OUTTA HERE !!!! Thanks man !!! ;)
Guys, go back towards the top and read the link in Joedirts post.
i had like 10 of those things all over the house.
but at 3 bucks a refill, i said the heck with that.
now there all in a drawer.
oh yeah and they do consume electricity. so................
"faaa-get about it"(italian accent) ;D
S S T I F
N A H S A
O Y I L
P S S S
E E
S
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just unpluged the glades. :o
Wow I never knew that, just took mine out too.