Polaris Clutch & Bombardier

Started by AlterEgo, December 29, 2005, 10:28:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlterEgo

I'm going to purchase a new 2 seater ATV - either the Bombardier 650 Outlander Max or the Polaris Sportsman X2. I like the price of the Polaris, but recently I've heard some things bout their clutches going bad after wet riding.

Any truth to this? And any recommendations Bombardier vs. Polaris?

Thanks!
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

yunt2ride

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

Yamaha72

The polaris is probably belt driven if so when the belt driven atv''s get really wet the belts will slip on thm but only for a short while untill they dry off.
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150

Scramdaddy

Those belt issues were resolved almost a decade ago.
2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  [url="//gen3usa.com"]Gen3usa.com[/url]

AlterEgo

Feelin' better about the Polaris. Thanks!
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50

Qdawg76

Defiantely get the Polaris, Havent had any problems with mine
05 ATP 330
08 Polaris RZR 800
06 Predator 90
07 Polaris Outlaw 525

yunt2ride

If the belt housing is sealed off good then you will not get water in it unless you stay in water for long periods of time then maybe a little. They are sealed pretty good now. To dry out a belt, drain out the water then just put it in low range and run it out for about 5 minutes and your good to go.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

PaulyV500

Both machines are great. I have a bomb and I love it so far,  seems to run better everytime I ride it.  I really like the rotax engine, onboard brakes, spar frame and trailing arm rear suspension. The 2 seater outlander Max is also a convertable machine that has a small bed that attaches whenyou are one up.  Good luck with you decision.
2006 Bombardier Outlander 800 XT advantage timber
2007 Can AM Outlander 500 Max Red
2006 Can AM Outlander 400 Advantage Timber
Mickey Mouse ATV

AintSkeered

#8
My Outy's belt only gets wet if the water level reaches my seat and I stop. If that happens, I just loosen the bottom bolt on the CVT case to drain the water, tighten her back up and ride it. Some folks drill a hole in the CVT case and install a rubber drain plug. The bolt I refer to is pictured on step 3 of the following instructions;
http://www.atvonlinemagazine.com/atv_tire_wheel_machine_review/machine_reviews/my_outty800efi/drain_plug_install/drain_plug_install.html
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

AlterEgo

Thanks to all for the great info. Plan on making a decision and getting one this weekend. Pretty psyched!

Thanks again!
Bombardier Outlander Max XT 800
Polaris Predator 50