Can a sport rider have fun on a Utility?

Started by 1FasterBlaster, December 19, 2005, 02:25:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1FasterBlaster

I 'm used to blasting down trails full throttle with all my buddies on their 400's and 450's.
A couple of months ago, I severed two nerves in my throttle thumb. I've tried to ride the trails like I use to...but I just can't do it. It hurts like hell trying to ride fast with my thumb.
  Is there a Utility quad than rides fast , but doesn't feel like I'm gonna flip over? Is it as fun as sport riding?

svtbolt04

823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

themensh

wow.....what a question.
  Here is my background.....I ride a Honda 1500 goldwing for my street bike.
  I have ridden Kawasaki 400s, a Yamaha 650, a Suzuki 125, A Honda
1100 and 1200 Goldwing, 1000cc Harley sportster, and a Honda elite 50cc.
   I had fun...no matter which bike I was riding.
  Now, if you have limitations as far as riding......but you still want to ride?
  Ride whatever you can.  My friends called me a 'motorcycle sleeper'.....
because I would ride ANYTHING...Honda, Yamaha, Harley......yup.....I like to ride.  I could not go as fast on the Honda elite.....and didn't sound quite like a Sportster...but you know what?   Yup...I was riding.
   Ahhhhhhh........hope you get better soon.

                     Chuck

LakeMaryKid

Quote from: svtbolt04 on December 19, 2005, 02:31:07 AM
Twist throttle?

Or if that doesnt work, take a jet ski throttle. Its a "trigger" for the throttle. Learned that one last week from Slow450r.
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

1FasterBlaster

I have a jetski and yes that throttle is kewl. But quads ride a lot harder than a jetski does in the water. I was thinking of switching to utility because the suspension is smoother.

svtbolt04

elkas?? Haha, just kidding. Go for a Big Bore UTE. You can get a grizzly 660 used with low hours for about 3700-5k

Good bike, great power and easy throttle.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Numkut

Well I've always liked stock UTEs over stock sports. Coming off a racing dirtbike sports feel chocked up with sketchy suspension (refering to a stock raptor660 which was my dads old ride), while I've always loved how nice and smooth the utilitys are. You can enjoy the veiw and ride alot slower while having as much fun. When I go places with my Uncle and when want to just have a nice relaxing day and check out the sites we ride his 2 Polaris 500s. They are a blast. Plus those big ol seats feel so good. As far as keeping up with your buddys you might have a problem there. I tried keeping up with a RM125 I was with in Neveda and I had that 500 pinned the whole time and he was still WAY ahead of me. Theres defiantly tons of fun to be had on Utilities powerslides are awsome I can do donuts all day on our Grizzly and I've been through the side of a lake so these machines really can go through just aobut anything.
YZ250
Grizzly 660 (Dad/Moms ride)
[url="http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg"]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y122/numkut/Numkut_Sig.jpg[/url]

Magnum330

Hey The Utilitys are great fun also. If you can go to tractor supply company they have a throttle extension that you can adjust and use the palm of you hand works great and you don't need as much force to push it to the limit.



Donnie
Meet ya out on the trail.

ish

I have both and yes you can have a great time on either. mostly i have more fun on the ute due to the fact that i am muddin and have the cooler strapped to the bike so wherever i want to have a break i do.
[url="//www.atvmiaxtreme.com"]www.ATVMiaXtreme.com[/url]
[url="http://img230.echo.cx/img230/4730/xtreme6bj.jpg"]http://img230.echo.cx/img230/4730/xtreme6bj.jpg[/url]

SkyHighT100

Sport quads and Utilities are both extremely fun in their own ways. But honestly I dont see how anyone can compare the two because they are truely two different worlds.
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]

Gamer

Yamaha is the only company I know of to build a Sport/Utility Bike.  Its the Yamaha Wolverine.  They just redesigned it though and I think they are only classifying it as a sport bike now.  I have the 2001 model which looks more like a utility with the big front and rear rackes.  Take a look at the new one.  It looks bad ass....

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/477/0/home.aspx

GSPKurt

1 FB-
Come out the next time susieblazer & Hoss meet me & Stitch, and you can try my Eiger & see what you think. Also, the twist throttle suggestion is a great one. Cheaper than buyin' a new quad.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

themensh


>>"Yamaha is the only company I know of to build a Sport/Utility Bike."<<

  I think the Polaris Scrambler 500 is pretty close to SPORT.....and has 4X4.....
   
http://www.polarisindustries.com/en-us/ATV/2005Models/Scrambler500/

I guess it depends how close to sport OR utility you want to get?

(I was thinking about getting a Scrambler, until I found my used Yamaha Grizzly)

                      Chuck

raptor426

Quote from: SkyHighT100 on December 19, 2005, 04:39:54 PM
Sport quads and Utilities are both extremely fun in their own ways. But honestly I dont see how anyone can compare the two because they are truely two different worlds.
I agree 100% with that.  I ride a raptor 660R, and I prefer sport bikes over UTEs, but when I ride my dads Grizzle 660, well, all I can say is that mudding is A LOT of FUN!!
2005 Yamaha Raptor 660r #26:AC grab bar, Alba Pro Elite nerfs, Uni filter, UM full body skid, AC swingarm skid, White Bros R4 slipon
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 660:27" Mudlites, 12" C-series rims, 2500# winch
2003 Yamaha YZ426F:stock
2002 Honda Rancher:27"Mudlites
2001 Polaris Scrambler 400

Quad32x

Try  the  twist  throttle  first.  Like  GPSKurt  said  its  a  LOT  cheeper  then  a  new  quad.  If  you  go  this  route  just  be  very  careful  till  you  get  used  to  the  twist.  Ive  never  used  anything  else  so  trust  me  once  you  get  used  to  it  you  will  love  it ! :ThumbsUp.gif
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Chevy1500z71

Quote from: Gamer on December 19, 2005, 07:49:15 PM
Yamaha is the only company I know of to build a Sport/Utility Bike.  Its the Yamaha Wolverine.  They just redesigned it though and I think they are only classifying it as a sport bike now.  I have the 2001 model which looks more like a utility with the big front and rear rackes.  Take a look at the new one.  It looks bad ass....

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/sport/products/modelhome/477/0/home.aspx




yea... my dad has one, its prety nice but it depends if you want to shift or not. the autamatic trany is pretty good tho, it goes a lil over 50mph

sct450

i just heard today that bombardier makes an 800. the guy told me it was faster than a 450 and it is 4x4.
04 YFZ450
GO NOLES
GO PHINS

GSPKurt

Quote from: sct450 on December 22, 2005, 11:14:09 PM
i just heard today that bombardier makes an 800. the guy told me it was faster than a 450 and it is 4x4.

That thing is a BEAST!
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

florida gator

I have a Scrambler and I have never been left behind by a sport bike and I can go where most utilities go. Not much of a wheelie machine with the extra weight in the front end but great all around bike.

qt314nfla

I need to put some work in to my wolverine to get it running like I want it.  You are welcome to try mine out.  I ride it hard....well as hard as I know how to run it.  I have a blast w/ it.  The serious sport will leave me behind for now.  But I generally run it in front of the utes on the group rides.  It doesn't jump well, but I've had it 4 ft off the ground.  Doesn't wheelie well....YET!  And it hangs w/ the utes in the mud.

stump66

JUST GETTIUNG OUTDOORS SHOULD BE ENOUG, WHO YA RACIN' SQUIRTS?  JK   :K :K
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

2 rut

98 f150 3in w/305-70-17's    
05 big bear
02 lakota  
2 kids on my weekends 
and a mortgage

1FasterBlaster

Don't know if I can get use to a twist throttle. Going wide open while trying to hang on and hitting a tree doesn't sound too exciting.I've almost done that with the thumb throttle.
I do like the sport riding. But the new trail system also is starting to make me think a utility might be the only way to ride. Me and some buddies went riding on the west side of Ocala forest just off 42. Thirty minutes down a trail, we saw a fence post right in front of the trail posting no motorized vehicles.

stump66

Its sounds like the area you ended up at was around "BIG BASS LK" that was our favorite family spot but they were logging it and you want to talk about tearing up the forest, GEEZ  >:( it looked like a bomb went of. And they say WE ruin the joint.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL
GLEN aka sport66 aka STUMP66  :groupies.gif
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

Scramdaddy

One of my favorite feature's of the Scrambler's is the ability to ride pretty fast as well as cruise around with a beer in your clutch hand! 8)
2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  [url="//gen3usa.com"]Gen3usa.com[/url]

florida gator

Quote from: Scramdaddy on December 25, 2005, 02:11:06 PM
One of my favorite feature's of the Scrambler's is the ability to ride pretty fast as well as cruise around with a beer in your clutch hand! 8)

I did that Halloween. We cruised the hood looking for adult treats!

kfx400rob

i dont understand how a utility will be any better on ur thumb, u should get a twist throttle, svt bolt is sellin one for $65 barely used
06 kfx400
00 ez-go with rotax 503.
01 gmc 2500 d-max.

qt314nfla

He just wants to come play w/ us mudders. ;D  J/K

Chillinthemost

YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

qt314nfla

#29
I don't know ask seebeejim, nocturnal, 05greengrizz, brettlittleguy, jjamesbarr, bbf, nos_prairie, grizz, sk8rdude, budman, team_quad_green, 05flsportsman, thrasher, moose, shadow, wilburz, purelogic, swamp rat and swampdonkey, big dog and big daddy, and the list goes on.  We all seem to have a blast on them.  Even in my crowd I'm still a minority. ;D

Chillinthemost

Well I meant girls and seebeejim, nocturnal, 05greengrizz, brettlittleguy, jjamesbarr, bbf, nos_prairie, grizz, sk8rdude, budman, team_quad_green, 05flsportsman, thrasher, moose, shadow, wilburz, purelogic, swamp rat and swampdonkey, big dog and big daddy.
  Utilities dont fullfill my "needs". I do have to admit though that I like our Rhino.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

qt314nfla

I good just givin ya trouble back.  I use to ride a small sport quad and may get another one day.  It's a different type of riding for sure.  And you're right that rhino is a blast.  I just figured I'd let chino know he won't be the only guy on a ute.  All in good fun they are both fun just different.  And different crowds that ride each.

1FasterBlaster


Scramdaddy

The Scrambler is based on the Sportsman, with the exception of the IRS, plastic and racks, it's about the same thing. I dont really look at the Scrambler as a UTE class machine.  The average UTE has racks, IRS, and shaft drive. Having chain rear drive and shaft front drive, I try to keep the chain out of the mud. Honestly, I think Scram's just dont fit in anywhere. lol I do love mine tho!
2004 Scrambler 500 4x4 .  [url="//gen3usa.com"]Gen3usa.com[/url]

Muddbuggy

Chino come on down here and you can ride my vinson and see what ya think...
GOTTA HORNEY RHINO....06' CAMO
07' OZARK 250
05' Z250
05' Z400 ACnerfs/beadlocks/carbon fiber Yoshi


SEABEEJIM IS A CLOWN PUNCHER.....

1FasterBlaster

Going riding on Monday the 2nd. Wanna bring it to Brookesville?

MuddFreak77

I've had both sport and UTE's.  I currently have a Honda Rincon and it can hang with most of the bikes.  If I ride I can keep up with most of the bikes.  It all depends on how I feel like riding.

Freakk

QT that little wolvi is a beast!!!  but to small for me    ;)
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand