Front Brakes On Honda Rincon & Rancher

Started by Paul_S, November 30, 2005, 11:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_S

Both my nephews rancher and my 100 mile old Rincon have really spongy front brakes, they work fine if you pump them, but then after a minute you can pull the lever all the way to the bar.

It seems they need bleeding, does that sound right on a brand new quad.

Anyone know how easy this is to do.

Thanks

TRX450R_Racer

The best way to do it is with a vacuum pump. You hook it up to the bleeder on the caliper, one it up and pump until no air comes out. You just need someone filling the master cyl. This is also a good way to change the brake fluid. I do it every year on everything I own. It makes the parts last a lot longer.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Paul_S


Limolarry

Paul, I had a great time riding with you and Matt today. I was thinking about your brake problem. Since the bike is not that old, then I suspect your master cylinder would not be the problem. If your brake shoes have worn down they may need adjusted tighter. you have to squeeze the lever several times because the shoes have too far to travel before they hit the drum. everytime you squeeze the brake lever, the shoes close a little farther until they reach the drum.
Does anyone out there now if my theory is correct?
My brakes seem to work this way on my old ford truck. all I do is adjust the shoes a little closer to the drum and I have great pedal again.
2005 Polaris Sportsman HO 2" lift 26" Vamps
2001 Honda Rancher 350 ES
2007 F-150

meathead1

your right normally if the front brake is worn it will bcome spongy remember when u adjust your front brakes that u have 2 drum ajusters per brake dont use them unless u have to hondas drum brakes wear quickly i replaced me foreman with disc brakes in front it helped
ARCTIC 650
450 FOREMAN
500 quad runner

Paul_S

Hi Larry

Thanks, I am going to take my bike to the dealer and let them fix it.

I got a snorkel kit today, still thinking about whether to fit it on or not - but if I do, I guess I am going to have to try that creek at your place.

Paul