Big Cypress is for the Big Dogs only!

Started by Keeter, December 05, 2005, 02:48:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keeter

I went to Big Cypress this weekend and had a BLAST. However, I made two mistakes: 1. I went alone 2. I did not have a winch, only a come-along.
Spent almost 2 hours getting myself unstuck. The Burns trail is nasty and muddy and deep. If you want a good long ride that is full of undercarriage cleaning water mixed with some of the nastiest mud, The Burns trail is for you.
Probably the longest 5 hours of my life. Once the trail starts to get soupy, there is not a break for miles. Harsh trail with bumps, lumps, mud, water, and stumps.  A real challenge. Best part, after about an hour of orientation and the Rangers making sure your bike can handle the trails (9 inch rear tires, 7 front , width) and $50, trail after trail of LEGAL riding. PLEASE if you are an idiot that will ruin it for everyone else, DO NOT APPLY. After a few times out there I have seen only one other ATC out there.

Side note: I want to thank Russ the Park Ranger again for helping me out. Thanks Russ. I could have not gotten myself unstuck without his support.  ;)
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

wilburz

Lets see some pics dude? I don't beleive you.  ;D
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

Keeter

Was walking out of the house, had my camera in my hand, then I had to walk back in to kiss my wife, put the camera down and forgot it.  >:(     It will not happen again. Believe me there is some nasty stuff out there. Water is not snorkel deep but it is knee cap deep.
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

Chillinthemost

that place is beautiful in the spring, its not near as wet.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

rubicon500kid

(9 inch rear tires, 7 front , width)  is that the smallist they can be or the bigist
DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a

Gamer

Quote from: rancher350kid on December 06, 2005, 01:59:50 AM
(9 inch rear tires, 7 front , width)  is that the smallist they can be or the bigist

That's the smallest they can be.  I guess they think bigger tires are better for the ground.   :o

OUTLAWMUD

i ran 26 laws all the way when i had my bike they said because it gives a wider foot print it does less harm
DITCH THE CHICK AND GO MUDDIN

BEIN BROKE IN THE MUD IS BETTER THAN BEIN BROKE AT WORK

I'M OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER BUT STILL TO YOUNG TO CARE

TO MUCH FUN WHATS THE MEAN???

I AINT FIRST CLASS BUT I AINT WHITE TRASH WILD AND ALITTLE CRAZY TO

BADAZZ750

Where is this place at? Is it $50 bucks a day or what? How come nobody rides there or do they?
05 BRUTE FORCE 750 WITH 27`S (MINE)        05 POLARIS PREDATOR 50 (DAUGHTERS)

Keeter

$50 for a year. Or three years, dont remember. Go to their website  http://www.nps.gov/bicy/orv/orvpage.htm  Why more people dont go there may becasue they are afraid, oooooooo.   Dunno why more people dont ride there. The stuff I just rode in was mean, really mean. >:D  It is not a mud hole that is 50 to 100 feet wide, this stuff is a mile or more of pure challenge. Really mental and physical  ???   
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

CAPT69

Hey Keeter I'm in Ft. Lauderdale also, i'll ride with you  ;D

bbf

that sound like a good place to ride i like to check it out

Anoriginal

People don't ride there because its not an ORV park. There is a 15mph speed limit that is enforced. There are designated trails in many areas that you must stick to or get kicked out.

It's really not a place for recreational ATV riding.

Keeter

Anoriginal, sounds like sour grapes to me. The people you may be referring to might be the people who like to speed unsafely down the trails. This place is for going 15 mph, not 60.  I have been down 3 different rails and they all are not made to go more than 15. These trails are for big ATC's not the crotch rockets( no offense to the crotch rocket guys  ::) ). Outdoorsman and the like. Wish I had pictures.

You said  "People don't ride there because its not an ORV park". Then what is it? What do you consider "a place for recreational ATV riding"? There are two schools of thought here. 1. The Outdoorsman who likes riding your Grizzly or in my case a Sportsman in the woods facing different terrains.( not to generalize all Grizzly and Sportsman riders  :) ) and 2. The Banshee riders who (not to generalize all Banshee riders  :) ) push the limits of their bikes for the unbridled thrill. What school are you from?

My point is that there are two types of ATC's.  How fast can you go and how deep can you go. Different trails for different folks.

Then again it is your opinion just like this rant is mine. 

Big Cypress is awesome, I am off the entire week of the 19th of December and plan on riding sometime during that week. Who is with me ;D ;D
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

Anoriginal

Big Cypress is a National Preserve. We are able to access it on ORV's by the skin of our teeth. 15mph and stick to the trails is great. Problem is, not many people do it. You are right that it is a place for 4x4 ATV's and not sport bikes.

Not sour grapes. I love the place and respect it. However, as soon as people start treating it like an off road park, we'll lose it.

Have fun

Keeter

Anoriginal, I understand your motivation and concern. People like you and I can help prevent this from happening by educating people we see out there.  The damage I see is from non-ATC vehicles. The type of damage I see can only be done by large vehicles. I am not talking 44's. At least on the trails I have been on.

I would love to ride with you. Let me know the next time you plan to go out. :)

2019 Can Am 850 XMR

rubicon500kid

at the first of the year em and my freinds will be driving up there and geting all of our atvs perments to ride out there i cant wate now i got to get my winch fixed
DROP & DESTROY
87 s10 2/3 soon to be bagged
85 honda 110 atc(22" bearclaws & snorkeld)
01 kx 125 (pc pipe,tag bar's,pro racing rear rim,some lil other stuff
I hate it when you microwave something, then you start eating it, and it's cold in the middle...makes me wanna punch a

2 rut

[
Quote from: Anoriginal on December 07, 2005, 12:57:59 PM
People don't ride there because its not an ORV park. There is a 15mph speed limit that is enforced. There are designated trails in many areas that you must stick to or get kicked out.

It's really not a place for recreational ATV riding.

thats exactlily it keeter diffrent strokes 4 diffrent folks but in the end its still atv
98 f150 3in w/305-70-17's    
05 big bear
02 lakota  
2 kids on my weekends 
and a mortgage

themensh

  Riding trails around my area...and even in Ocala, I seldom get over 18 MPH.    Just the riding I seem to do so far.
     I want more places like BIg Cypress.......and NO, it may not be for everybody but the more places we can get open to ATVs....and show that
we are not a bunch of thugs and hoodlums, the more we may get open in the future.
    I heard on the news the other night that Florida is ranked number 4 in the U.S.A. in ATV registrations.  I bet we are not even #15 in trails/riding areas.
  Anyhow.......got to put Cypress on my list of places to visit....15 MPH or not.

      Chuck

MuddingMark

Hi All,

When I took the class last summer, I found that you only have to stick to the trails for the first ½ mile that you travel from the road after that it's a free for all. The major thing is to stay out of the prairies they are restricted. During the test you are presented with pictures of the damage that can be done when traveling where you are not suppose to be, meaning that permanent trails begin to form and there is no recovery for years. They have developed some trails in hope to minimize the impact.

The sport in the Big Cypress is to meet the challenges of the environment not the need for speed. I agree that there are two forms of thought here and each demands it's own respect but the Big Cypress is for those who need the All Terrain Travel challenge. Personally I like both, to dig up mud and get filthy dirty, and to rider because it's so beautiful out there.

All things aside, I want to do some camping from my ATV this winter and would love to have some friends, ATV people, join me. We could get together and make some kind of party out of this.

MuddingMark  8)

Now this is stress relief!

MuddingMark

Hi All,

Speaking of where to ride. In the big Cypress there are different trails. The Burns Lake trail is the only one that you are aloud to drive your ATV into the camp area. By the way the Burns Lake camp area closes sometime in January. All the other trails are just launch points with out camping at the head of the trail.

One of the trails that I especially like is the Monument Road at least that is what they called it when I was a kid. It starts at Monroe Station and goes north several miles on semi-maintained trails. You can find it on the trail maps. The terrain varies and offers camping anywhere you choose.

There is another more popular trail that launches from the Loop Road close to the head of the Florida Trail. I've never been there but have seen vehicles lined up along the road.

Anyway, I think this winter will be nice and the Big Cypress could be some fun. The $50 per year is nothing compared to $30 a month for L-Cross, which is over crowded. I also enjoy Holey Lands but that's a little limited too. Each offers its pros and cons.

Looking forward to the adventures as the water levels drop.

MuddingMark  8)

Now this is stress relief!

Keeter

MuddingMark, chuck, rancher 350, gamer, and everyone else who wants to ride BC.

I am up for Big Cypress any weekend. I am off the last two weeks of December. During that time I am willing to go anythime during then as well.  I am on this board VERY often, so reply to this thread or post a thread inside the "Group ride or event " board. I have got the fever and I want to ride, not by myself, I have learned my lesson the hard way on Burns Trail.

Again to ECHO what Anoriginal and I spoke of, "Repect for the land" and "NO Knuckleheads" on the trails.



Keeter
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

bbf

i would like to ride with you all i am off for the first 2 weeks of jan

Gamer

With the Holidays and New Years approaching I won't be able to go until January.  My friends and I have planned the camping dates in Big Cypress for the 20th, 21st and 22nd.  We have not decided if were doing back country camping or staying somewhere outside of Big Cypress.  I'll keep you posted.

themensh

   I have yet to even look on a map to see where Big Cypress is........
what area of the state is it in?
     Seems like every place charges $50 for the year to ride, and none of these recipricate?  (I could spend $50 for Croom, $50 (coming soon) at
Ocala and $50 at Big Cypress......and only use Croom and Big Cypress once.
  That is allot of dough to be handing out.......hopefully they will come up with a 'day pass'....kind of "try-it-before-you-buy-it-for-a-year".
     Anyhow....got to add Big Cypress to the list.

      Chuck

dirty1

ok first off, the reason not many people ride it is because there are a limited amount of permits per year..... its first come first serve with the guys  who are  renewing ahead of everyone. the other resons why its not big and not known to many atv'ers is because it is alot more on the hunting side than anything else.   and the old timers dont like it much for bikes to be in there.   burns lake,  and oasis station are the two  that are used more for pleasure than hunting.  i am a hunter with a buggy aswell as someone who likes doing donuts in the mudd on my foreman so i dont say ya or nay to either side of means of travel and what you do out there.... my only thing is" TO THOSE OF YOU KNEW TO IT AND UNFRAMILIAR,   THE SAME POEPLE WHO TOOK THE SQUARES aka BADLUCK ARE THE SAME PEOPLE WHO CAN TAKE BIG CYPRESS.  THERE ARE RULES AND REGULATIONS THAT ARE ENFORCED EVEN BIKES TAKEN.  DO YOUR HOMEWORK AND RESEARC BIG CYPRESS BEFORE GOING........   oh yeah here are some pics for those who havent been.

[attachment deleted by admin]
foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000

GSPKurt

Quote from: chuck (roast) on December 13, 2005, 10:22:56 PM
   I have yet to even look on a map to see where Big Cypress is........
what area of the state is it in?
     Seems like every place charges $50 for the year to ride, and none of these recipricate?  (I could spend $50 for Croom, $50 (coming soon) at
Ocala and $50 at Big Cypress......and only use Croom and Big Cypress once.
  That is allot of dough to be handing out.......hopefully they will come up with a 'day pass'....kind of "try-it-before-you-buy-it-for-a-year".
     Anyhow....got to add Big Cypress to the list.

      Chuck

Chuck-

Let's load your & my 4x4's on my trailer and GO! I'll bring my 2 tow straps and get a pair of hip boots or waders!


Can you say-

                                          GROUP RIDE??
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

themensh

   sounds tempting don't it?      mention some dates.....and I have still yet to find it on a map.   Where is it? Down south?
  Can I drop my girlfriend off in Boca at her cousins house?    LOL

   Tow straps?      You have two?  Maybe I should get ONE.....LOL

    chuck

Keeter

DATES: Well, Gamer mentioned  the 20, 21,22 of January, he will be there. I am planning for then also. So maybe we can plan for those dates.  I would like to go before then, ANYONE  ;D want to ride with me sometime during the week of the 18th through the 23 of December??? Anyone.
I was planning on camping there the 17th and hitting the trail Sunday for about 4-5 hours. I also want to ride during the week also. Sitting around the house is going to kill me.

Dirty1, if you have anymore pics, please post them. My wife doesn't believe how beautiful it is out there. I almost have her convenced to buy an atv for herself and join me.

To locate BC, look on a map at I-75 were it goes East-West. Just East of Naples off of HW 29 South of 75, North of 41, and East of 29. There she be.
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

GSPKurt

Quote from: chuck (roast) on December 14, 2005, 02:49:58 AM
   sounds tempting don't it?      mention some dates.....and I have still yet to find it on a map.   Where is it? Down south?
  Can I drop my girlfriend off in Boca at her cousins house?    LOL

   Tow straps?      You have two?  Maybe I should get ONE.....LOL

    chuck

Just to be safe, bring 2. Drop the GF at Boca, and come across 75 to BC.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

themensh

 Glad I checked my calendar....I bought Allison Kraus (and Union Station) tickets for Daytona Beach...wouldn't you know it....the concert in Jan 21st.
    I will continue to watch for rides and dates.......(I really want to ride with you all! LOL)   

     Chuck roast

MrsPureLogic

Big Cypress is a great place to ride......in my opinion if you're going to ride, relax, take it easy...look at the scenery.  However after experiencing the other areas offered to us......I'd much rather go somewhere else myself.  It's a great place to ride every so often.  Just my 2 cents.  ;)

BTW going alone is NOT something you want to do out there....hubby did that last year, his bike took in water on Big Bear Island.....so did the cell phone....hiked 18 miles.....

never been back since.... :tsktsk.gif

GSPKurt

Quote from: chuck (roast) on December 18, 2005, 03:17:09 AM
Glad I checked my calendar....I bought Allison Kraus (and Union Station) tickets for Daytona Beach...wouldn't you know it....the concert in Jan 21st.
    I will continue to watch for rides and dates.......(I really want to ride with you all! LOL)   

     Chuck roast

I am sure someone would buy the tickets from you. Get your priorities straight, mister.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

GSPKurt

Quote from: MrsPureLogic on December 18, 2005, 03:44:12 AM
Big Cypress is a great place to ride......in my opinion if you're going to ride, relax, take it easy...look at the scenery.  However after experiencing the other areas offered to us......I'd much rather go somewhere else myself.  It's a great place to ride every so often.  Just my 2 cents.  ;)

BTW going alone is NOT something you want to do out there....hubby did that last year, his bike took in water on Big Bear Island.....so did the cell phone....hiked 18 miles.....

never been back since.... :tsktsk.gif

Good advice.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

HondaBoys

Just for informational purposes. The NPS is in the process of making the entire Big Cypress a designated trail only area. A lot of it has to do with what they say is damage from ORV just riding anywhere they want. It has already happened south of U.S. 41 and WILL happen north of it as well in due time. I hunt out there and hate the fact that I have to stay on designated trail and can't get to where I want to hunt legally without walking. They limit the number of permits to try and keep the ORV traffic down. The permits go to not just ATVs but to buggies and airboats as well and they only sell 2000 per year. If you happen to be one of the people that rides hellbent just because you can, please don't go out there and ruin it for the rest of us that use it for other puposes.
Mine '02 450S,Big Bore Kit, cammed, Locked, lifted, gorilla'd, 28/12.5/12 Laws, jetted, dual snorkeled, clutch kit, FMF pipe, 3000# Warn
Hers '04 450S, 26 Outlaws

Keeter

Well, I rode the Monroe trail south. Wow! good ATV trail. I also rode the Oasis trail again, Wow! some knuckleheads in buggies have tore that trail all to sh..    >:( Trees were run over, the land was shreaded. This damaged happened recently. Buggies are the culprits of the damage not ATV's.  Buggie permits should be limited and ATV's increased. I do not know about ya'll but I have never seen an ATC run over and snap a 4 inch thick 20 foot tall pine tree.
Going off the trail to go to that special hunting spot is one thing, short cutting the trail just to get back on it 50 feet later..why? >:(

2019 Can Am 850 XMR

MiamiE

1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
25" Vampires

1988 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4
25" Stockers

Keeter

Fridays Saturdays and Sundays I think 10 till 3. Check their site 

http://www.nps.gov/bicy/orv/orvpage.htm
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

AintSkeered

I've had a permit for the past two years and can't talk anyone into riding there. Does anyone want to lead a group ride soon?
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Keeter

AintSkeered  Looks like we are puttin one together for the weekend of the 20th. Looks like Gamer started it and I am arranging accomodations,,are you in? :)
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

Durkan

There will be 4 of us going that Friday morning of the 20th. Gamer, myself, and two others with two wolverines a big bear and a sportsman 500. Hope my new gps gets here in time  :-\

Keeter

Durkan What time you looking to get there Friday? Did yo get my PM with my Nextel #? 
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

Gamer