do I need a skidplate

Started by Pat, November 24, 2005, 06:58:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat

do I need a skidplate on my yfz450 to race the quad srambles...i do not want to damage anything
Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!

svtbolt04

Some tracks it would help, but others you may not need it. I like to think of it as some type of insurence. It is definatly worth it though. I am going to be selling my front skids if you are interested. They have  1 race on them.

823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

svtbolt04

Have you decided what class you are going to start in?
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

YFZ450-Tampa

I'll use it for sure !!! and if you can put a swing arm plate will be even better, we don't have that many rocks arround Florida, but we sure have some palmetto ruts and some others that can easily get stocked in your chain or motor. (had happend to me >:()
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

Pat

Going to race "C"...just trying to find the time for my debut!
Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!

svtbolt04

Coming to the next race? If so, I race in the same class as you. I will have some goodies put on for that race. *cough* axis *cough*
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Pat

I'm looking at the January race dates...getting some race gear from the wife for Xmas including the skid plate.
Pat
Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!

SLOW450R

You dont really need to run skids in FL........................I dont run a swinger skid just to get more ground clearance.  It is a nice piece of insurance, but it isnt a necesity. 

Alot of the A and AA racers are running without swingarm skids just to get the bikes closer to the ground.  I know that I run my bike at only 6 inches of ground clearance down here in the FL sand.  If you are only racing in FL I would say skip it, but if you ride anywhere else I would consider it a must.

As for a belly skid..........This is a MUST in whatever kind of cross country racing you are doing

Hope this helps and hope to see you at the races.  Look some of us up when you get there, this is really a great group of people. 

Garrett Hyer
03 400 EX.........best pit/practice bike ever
04 450R............a slow quad for an even slower rider!!
FTR #5 A-OPEN

Special Thanks to ATP Racing and my 05-06 Sponsors
www.allterrainperformance.com ...................407-880-3171
Powermadd Handguards

Pat

So a belly skid is more important than a swinger skid? I figured it would be the opposite since the swingarm area is closer to the ground and I'd assume would hit more rocks, roots etc.
Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!

svtbolt04

Well, from my experience with my YFZ is that when I didnt have a skid plate, things would get thrown between the chain  and sprocket causing my chain to come off, since I put on the skid plate, I still ride normal and it hasnt happened yet. Its all up to you, also, the AA and A guys usually have sponcers that are willing to hook them up with new brake rotors and sprockets for cheap, so they dont worry about hitting stuff. And trust me, they dont!! Its amazing to watch those guys ride, could have a 46inch front end and squeeze it through a 48inch gap and they are going a good 30-40mph..
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Pat

Where did you purchase your skids from? I was going to purchase the Pro-Armor...now both the belly and swing plates. Pro-Armor a good choice?
Was a YFZ 450 Rider...then the kids came along...now looking to get back to it!

svtbolt04

823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

SLOW450R

I am running PRM skids as well.  I have there .125 belly skid and there .250 swinger skid.  I dont run the swinger skid here in florida.  In addition I have also severly cut down the swinger skid so that it just covers the sprocket and brake rotor.  It doesnt drag nearly as much

You can run a sprocket guard from GT THUNDER if you dont want to EVER run a rear skid.  These are awesome!

Call Mike Walker at ATP racing and he will get you a killer price on whatever you want, tell him I had you call.....

Garrett Hyer
03 400 EX.........best pit/practice bike ever
04 450R............a slow quad for an even slower rider!!
FTR #5 A-OPEN

Special Thanks to ATP Racing and my 05-06 Sponsors
www.allterrainperformance.com ...................407-880-3171
Powermadd Handguards