What GPS should I buy?

Started by Shotgun, October 10, 2004, 05:23:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

I want to get a GPS for My ATV. What do you guys reccomend? I don't want a chepo, but I don't think I need top of the line. What do you guys use? Thanks




2003 Kodiak 2x4
2004 Suzuki Eiger 4x4

RTR_380/450R

YOU CAN NEVER HAVE TO MUCH GPS TECHNOLOGY I ALWAYS SAY. BUT THE BEST THING TO DO IS TO GO ONLINE AND RESEARCH THE OPTIONS THAT EACH ONE OFFERS BASED ON YOUR NEEDS.  ME PERSONALLY, I DO ALOT OF FRESH AND SALTWATER FISHING AND DIVING AS WELL AS RIDING- SO MINE WAS PURCHASED WITH THAT IN MIND AS WELL. BEST ADVICE I CAN GIVE
JT
RTR PERFORMANCE ENGINES
Specializing in FAST RELIABLE Horspower!!
rtrperformanceengines.com

Muddbuggy

The Etrex does everything I need it to do and its water proof.  ;D small and compac, you can buy a handle bar mount for it which it very small.  and it takes a beating and keeps on ticking.
GOTTA HORNEY RHINO....06' CAMO
07' OZARK 250
05' Z250
05' Z400 ACnerfs/beadlocks/carbon fiber Yoshi


SEABEEJIM IS A CLOWN PUNCHER.....

Redgrizzly660

What ever you buy make sure u can down load maps from your computor and have avaliable software. I have topo 24 east which has all of the trails of ONF

Grizz

Muddbuggy

Grizz
    
what kind of GPS do you have?  how big or small is it?
I like the small size of my Etrex but I like the though of being able to down load maps too.

kevin
GOTTA HORNEY RHINO....06' CAMO
07' OZARK 250
05' Z250
05' Z400 ACnerfs/beadlocks/carbon fiber Yoshi


SEABEEJIM IS A CLOWN PUNCHER.....

Flat_Out

GPSMAP 76 here.  Love it.  Easy to use and downloadable maps from my PC.  299.00 at boatersworld.  Also have the GPSMAP 182 in the boat.  That is the greatest gps.  To bad it is way to big to mount on the quad.

Eric
2003 Suzuki Vinson - Stock
"Son If I Wanted To Talk To Your Mother, I Would Have Bought A Car"

Redgrizzly660

I just purchase a new GPS 276 C that can mount on the handle bar With a 128 Mb memory chip.

My old one is a boat GPS 168 w/ sounder I had it mounted across the handle bar worked great but I need more memory so I bought this new one. This one is kind of expensive but the 176 is a lot cheaper than mine but no color. U can find alot of  mounts at GPScity.com


Shotgun

Wow the 276c is a bit pricey, I found it for $575. Thanks for all the help guys! Anybody else have any ideas let me know.I am going to get it for Christmas I hope.

Moose

I got the new 76C, has mapping in collor, water proof and it floats. 115mb memory in the unit. The best hand held I have found. $409 from 4x4 books.com. $499.00 at West Marine.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

innocent_bystander

I got the Garmin Rino 110. Real cheap, $150. You cant download maps, that sucks, but is is totally water proof and has a 2 way radio. Thank god its water proof, cuz just the other day, I had is mounted to my seat, it has a belt clip like a cell phone, and I took off my seat to get my tow strap out, refer to Pict Forum: Badluck Picts, to pull my buddies Big Bear out, and ploop, right in the water.
Life is all about @$$; you're either covering it, laughing it off, kicking it, kissing it, busting it, trying to get a piece of it, or behaving like one.

kryppy

The Etrex for $100 is an awesome unit. It doesn't load maps, but the screen is too small for it anyway. You will feel way better when you lose it in a mud hole. I know I'm glad my Etrex is lost at Macs fish camp instead of my ColorMap.

I have a Garmin 3+ that does load maps and is great in the mud as well, I paid $299 for it a while back so I don't like to put it in harms way much, but they are getting cheap on Ebay.

YFZ450-Tampa

You can find the Magellan, the sport class is small, even float in water and you can download info from the pc and cost around $150 you can find it on many stores I got mine in Wall Mart it was the best price out of all of the stores I went to, I have had it for 2 years and I'm very happy with it.
Luis 
                              Quad #29 
                                 XC

racemanfl

I got Magellan Sport trac 150.00 plus 100.00 for maps.
Only has 8megs of memory,but that is big enough for atv uses
Easy to read and figure out,waterprof and dust prof,software easy to use can save all your trips to computer and download waypoints back and forth,so it really has plenty of memory just download your trip and start a new one


Jerry

Yamahonda41

I am on my 2nd Etrex-Vista.  It has some nice features.  I use it on trips with my laptop connected for a large moving map.  The screen is small and hard to read for maps at least for my 40+ year old eyes.  I crushed one when I rolled my Warrior.  Sent it back to Garmin and they sent me a new one for the flat $125 repair fee.  I paid $254 several months ago.  Now if I was in the market I would get the 76C if I had the $$.

Cant go wrong with either.

2004 Kawasaki VForce 700
2004 Honda 300EX
2001 Honda 300EX FMF Pipe, Holeshots
2000 Yamaha Warrior Maxxis Razr's
1989 Honda CR125 - Pro Circuit pipe

HondaBeaterSFL

Truck
ATV
Fishing pole

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com