Muslim Postage Stamp

Started by jwscroll, September 20, 2005, 07:20:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwscroll

This was forwarded to me the other day along with a request to boycott the stamp.
I for one would not buy the stamp, but only because I don't like Arab design or writing, it just doesn't appeal to me. But I could think of a hundred other reasons not to buy it as well.
What do ya'll think.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

SkyHighT100

#1
I'm not sure what the symbol means (I'm assuming "greetings"), but I think its a cool design. A stamp is a stamp, it all spends the same to me. I dont understand why people should boycott it though. Because its Arab? If thats the case, then people need to grow up, lol. There's no point in boycotting a stamp, if someone doesnt like it then they can buy a different design... theres TONS. There are stamps for everyones tastes and cultures, designs including animals, cars, holidays, nature, social awards, aviation, events, etc. There are pleanty of Arab-Americans in this country who I am sure would love to reprisent thier heritage by sending mail adorned with the stamp... just as some African-Americans take pride in sending mail reflecting thier culture, or people in general send mail adorned with puppies, cars, football, whatever it is thier heart desires ;)
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]

Chuck_Norris

just another reason to increase racial divide

Ride1Rob

I'm w/ you on this one SkyHigh. It's a shame that the guy who posted this is talking of Boycotting the stamp merely b/c it's Arab. I've said it b/f, and I'll say it again... THERE ARE PLENTY OF ARAB AMERICANS THAT LOVE THIS COUNTRY JUST AS MUCH IF NOT MORE THAN YOU AND I. Just b/c some people who happen to be the same race or from the same ethnic background as them are acting like asses doesn't mean it's right to put them all in the same category.

Chuck_Norris, This post of his speaking of boycotting the stamp b/c it's different from the majority, something he doesn't understand, something of a different ethnicity than his... That's more racial divide than anything :-\.
If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

TRX350_On_The_Rack

I don't see a stamp with a plane and the trade centers or a pic of Osama. We shouldn't boycott a stamp because it has a relation to a culture that has a few fananctical factions. Didn't Jesus come from the Middle East?
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

ronny86250r

this will start a new chain of stamps the last one that they will sell will be one of the american flag,that is another reason why stamps are so expensive they keep changing the stamp  die.

jwscroll

#6
I personally will not boycott the stamp, I would rather buy Christmas stamps or sports stamps. It's pretty, it just doesn't appeal to me.
I think diversity is a good thing as well as exposure to other cultures.
As far as someone loving thier country more than me I doubt it. Those who served their country in the military like I did know what I mean.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

cain73

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on September 20, 2005, 08:02:29 AM
just another reason to increase racial divide

Yep, another attempt at dividing America into many small seperatist pieces. What about celebrating and promoting OUR nation and heritage? What a novel idea  :P No I would not buy that stamp.
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Old_School

I will most certainly never buy it.   -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

SkyHighT100

Quote from: cain73 on September 20, 2005, 08:58:42 AM
Quote from: Chuck_Norris on September 20, 2005, 08:02:29 AM
just another reason to increase racial divide

Yep, another attempt at dividing America into many small seperatist pieces. What about celebrating and promoting OUR nation and heritage? What a novel idea  :P No I would not buy that stamp.


They do have these type of stamps.... they are located in the "Patriotic" section of USPS.coms stamp section....  ;)
The true measure of a man is how high he bounces after hitting the bottom

Proud owner of an '06 LTR and a '00 300EX... both have too many mods to list :)

[url="http://www.myspace.com/humrz28"]http://www.myspace.com/humrz28[/url]

cain73

I am just pointing out that there is an emphasis to promote other cultures in the Us. I don't believe you can go anywhere else in the world and find government attempts to promote anything other than their own country's beliefs, values, and patriotism. Why is it that we cater to everyone but American's.

Actually I would buy some of those stamps  ....... post them on some of the MOAB's  (mother of all bombs) and drop them in terrorist hot beds overseas  ;D
After all I wouldn't want to be labeled ethnocentric now would I ?  ;) ;D
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

TRX350_On_The_Rack

Quote from: cain73 on September 20, 2005, 09:46:35 AM
I am just pointing out that there is an emphasis to promote other cultures in the Us. I don't believe you can go anywhere else in the world and find government attempts to promote anything other than their own country's beliefs, values, and patriotism. Why is it that we cater to everyone but American's.

Actually I would buy some of those stamps  ....... post them on some of the MOAB's  (mother of all bombs) and drop them in terrorist hot beds overseas  ;D
After all I wouldn't want to be labeled ethnocentric now would I ?  ;) ;D

Other countries do promote our culture by purchasing our goods. I think people are forgetting the Post Office needs to make money to survive. Also this stamp is 3 years old. Why petition it now?
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

gtnwood

I think if you people knew what this symbol means you would all definitely boycott it. Research it, then respond, I'd be curious to see the response.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

bigscrub79

Quote from: gtnwood on September 20, 2005, 10:41:27 AM
I think if you people knew what this symbol means you would all definitely boycott it. Research it, then respond, I'd be curious to see the response.
My god you are right thats just pure evil i think we should boycott it. My research turned up this. The symbol on the stamp is "EID MUBARAK" which translated stands for "Blessed Festival."  Those horrible muslims tryin to celebrate, what are they thinking.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

ucfneed2ride

#14
Simply a must have for any stamp enthusiast!!  ::)
[url="http://www.islandnet.com/~rescuetees/rtcom/images/patches/pa250-l.jpg"]http://www.islandnet.com/~rescuetees/rtcom/images/patches/pa250-l.jpg[/url]

gery350

i guess i dont take postage stamps serious. i just go to publix and say
"can i please have a book of stamps". i couldnt even tell ya what the heck is printed on them.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

BIGWORM3699 ( ECP RACING)

I agree with cain, we in the usa try harder to please other cultures and for get about our heritages. I beleve in my house my rules, go to another country and they dont go out of there way to change their cultures to the american culture. Just my 2 cents. God bless america.
East Coast Performance Mini Quad is your
Official Apex and DRR mini quad dealer, For your mini quad performance parts and tuning needs.
2013 polaris ranger camo
KINGQUAD, 29.5 outlaws,snorkled,rad. relocate, clutch mod.
APEX, stage6 RT 70, elka,mallosi overrange,PVL ign.

Ride1Rob

#17
Quote from: bigscrub79 on September 20, 2005, 11:00:51 AM
My god you are right thats just pure evil i think we should boycott it. My research turned up this. The symbol on the stamp is "EID MUBARAK" which translated stands for "Blessed Festival."  Those horrible muslims tryin to celebrate, what are they thinking.
Quote


Since when in the hell did the words Blessed Festival become so offensive? Unless it some kind of code you know that I don't I'm having problems relating to what's so bad about it. On your avatar you have something representing the rebel flag. There are many peeps that are offended by that and some of the things it represents. Should I boycott your avatar? Hell NO! It's your freedom to waive your flag no matter what it represents. That's what makes America what it is.
If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

bigscrub79

Quote from: Ride1Rob on September 20, 2005, 02:48:26 PM
Quote from: bigscrub79 on September 20, 2005, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: gtnwood on September 20, 2005, 10:41:27 AM
I think if you people knew what this symbol means you would all definitely boycott it. Research it, then respond, I'd be curious to see the response.
My god you are right thats just pure evil i think we should boycott it. My research turned up this. The symbol on the stamp is "EID MUBARAK" which translated stands for "Blessed Festival."  Those horrible muslims tryin to celebrate, what are they thinking.


Since when in the hell did the words Blessed Festival become so offensive? Unless it some kind of code you know that I don't I'm having problems relating to what's so bad about it. On your avatar you have something representing the rebel flag. There are many peeps that are offended by that and some of the things it represents. Should I boycott your avatar? Hell NO! It's your freedom to waive your flag no matter what it represents. That's what makes America what it is.
Simmer down Rob, you misunderstood me, that was pure sarcasm. I was being a smarta$$ to gtnwood when he said we would really boycott it when we found out what it meant. You need to meet me then you will understand me alot better.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Ride1Rob

Quote from: bigscrub79 on September 20, 2005, 02:52:30 PM
Quote from: Ride1Rob on September 20, 2005, 02:48:26 PM
Quote from: bigscrub79 on September 20, 2005, 11:00:51 AM
Quote from: gtnwood on September 20, 2005, 10:41:27 AM
I think if you people knew what this symbol means you would all definitely boycott it. Research it, then respond, I'd be curious to see the response.
My god you are right thats just pure evil i think we should boycott it. My research turned up this. The symbol on the stamp is "EID MUBARAK" which translated stands for "Blessed Festival."  Those horrible muslims tryin to celebrate, what are they thinking.


Since when in the hell did the words Blessed Festival become so offensive? Unless it some kind of code you know that I don't I'm having problems relating to what's so bad about it. On your avatar you have something representing the rebel flag. There are many peeps that are offended by that and some of the things it represents. Should I boycott your avatar? Hell NO! It's your freedom to waive your flag no matter what it represents. That's what makes America what it is.
Simmer down Rob, you misunderstood me, that was pure sarcasm. I was being a smarta$$ to gtnwood when he said we would really boycott it when we found out what it meant. You need to meet me then you will understand me alot better.

My bad ;). Didn't know that you were actually trying to be funny. I thought that maybe I was missing something about the words Blessed Festival. ;D
If it'll run... I'm ridin'!!!

bigscrub79

lol its all good. i just found gtnwoods comment humorous once i researched it.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

cain73

buying our goods does not promote out culture, it gets them what they want. We on the other hand actively promote their culture here while ignoring ours. I don't car what it says. Try going to Iran and finding something sanctioned by the government that says "as American as apple pie". Good luck
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

big-daddy

Oh NO! I been brain washed. I think symbols that I cant read or understand sucks. Bring back the flag!!!!  I know what that stand for... (FREEDOM)  ;)
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

cain73

The point if that this is our country that was established by our forefathers based upon christian fundamentals. And while the ACLU, libs and Democrats strive to irradicate any mention of God, the foundation on which our country was built, they embrace the culture and religion of another country and land where most of the people would rather watch us burn to death than to p!ss on us to put out the flames.
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

TRX350_On_The_Rack

Quote from: cain73 on September 20, 2005, 03:01:41 PM
buying our goods does not promote out culture, it gets them what they want. We on the other hand actively promote their culture here while ignoring ours. I don't car what it says. Try going to Iran and finding something sanctioned by the government that says "as American as apple pie". Good luck

Let's see, McDonalds, Coke, Levi's......I could on and on. You would be surprised how much other countries around the world know about us and our history. Secondly our "culture" as we call it is what, 250 years old or are we talking about the Native Americans who were here for thousands of years? If you think about it our culture is still in infancy.
[url="http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg"]http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a332/captcunundrum/atvr6.jpg[/url]

AintSkeered

Please explain our forefathers Christian fundamentals for the audience! You know, so the American Jews, Muslims, etc. can understand them. Wouldn't want them running around violating those principles now. LOL :)
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Yamichick

Sorry for digging deep in the forums.. There's nothing wrong with other religions stamps. Boycotting a stamp will not affect Islam as it's the fastest growing religion in the world with stamps or w/o
I collect stamps and I have few US Muslim stamps, they are mainly a greetings ones.
2008 Yamaha Raptor 700R
Dynatek FI Controller,
GYTR Intake, HMF Sport Full Exhaust,
PowerMadd Hand Guards,
BlingStar bumper, UM Nerf Bars.
Pro-Tek air box lidBarker duels

pywacket1955

I wont buy it. Here lately I try very hard to buy American made only,
fruit, veggies, clothing and even my gas.  I'm American and I support
american made and our American Troops.
Mine: Camo 2010 Honda Rincon   
Son's: Yellow 2003 Honda, Foreman ES
Husband's:Yellow 2004 Honda, Foreman ES

YELLOW RR

Quote from: cain73 on September 20, 2005, 09:46:35 AM
I am just pointing out that there is an emphasis to promote other cultures in the Us. I don't believe you can go anywhere else in the world and find government attempts to promote anything other than their own country's beliefs, values, and patriotism. Why is it that we cater to everyone but American's.

Actually I would buy some of those stamps  ....... post them on some of the MOAB's  (mother of all bombs) and drop them in terrorist hot beds overseas  ;D
After all I wouldn't want to be labeled ethnocentric now would I ?  ;) ;D
+1....!!
2007 LTR450

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com