Could be controversial, watch out ;-)

Started by Ida_Mann, September 19, 2005, 07:03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ida_Mann

OK a little background before I begin.

I am a member of a 9-person committee that coordinates activities and funding for the employees(currently about 250) at the company I work for.  We have a raffle after every payday that we call the "50/50" and we sell each ticket for $1.  The winner of the raffle wins half the money collected and the other half goes to fund "NARS Night Out" where we will take the entire company out bowling or go cart racing, or mini-golf, or roller skating,,,,whatever we decide.

Now, we drew for the lucky winner and the winner emailed one of our committee members and said that if we would match his winnings, he would donate the entire winnings to any hurricane Katrina relief fund we saw fit.

Since this was a decision needed to be made by the committee members, she emailed it out to all of us and my response was "I think that if we were to accept that it should come out of our pockets, not the employee club account.  Unfortunately I do not have the cash to do that until next paycheck, but I'd be willing to pledge $10 to it. "

her response "Why should it come out of our pockets?  That does not make any sense to me.  Many of us have already donated to the fund.  It would just be all the money that was collected for the 50/50.  It is only 80.50 of the clubs money.  We were considering giving everything from the party, $80 can be made on Wed for the floats "

to explain: the committee's biggest expense is a Christmas party at the end of the year and we have been saving/raising funds all year for it, she suggested that we forget about the party and donate all of the money we had raised.  We also are making root-beer floats on Wed. to help raise some money for the party as well.

now, my response back to her: "Because we are representative's of the entire group of employee's, and to do anything with that money should require foreknowledge of this by all the employee's.  When I buy tickets for the 50/50 I intend that money to go towards the winner and to NARS Nights Out,,,not donations, I know I cannot be the only one who thinks this way.  This is a noble idea, but if we are to be noble,,,,let's not do it with other people's money. "

her response back to me before she left for the day:"So far you are the only who feels this way"

so, the question is for the good people on this site,,,,,am I being sensible, or am I a heartless bass turd?

Id@


Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

gery350

heartless, i dont think so. whats 62 billion gettin them. not to mention the millions if not billions already donated. if you as an individual want to give then by all means; but if i gave money for something i want it to go to that something. believe me, i am  heartless when it comes to whining crying wanna-be victims.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

Grizzlygirl

 I agree the money is for the employee's fund and it is not right to put the money somewhere else. If people want to give it should be their choice.
   Mam Grizz

Bigscrb15

"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

renmus

Ida is correct.  The question should have been put to the employees as this is their money.  By the way, maybe you need to review this woman's expense vouchers a bit more closely.

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: gery350 on September 19, 2005, 07:08:59 PM
heartless, i dont think so. whats 62 billion gettin them. not to mention the millions if not billions already donated. if you as an individual want to give then by all means; but if i gave money for something i want it to go to that something. believe me, i am  heartless when it comes to whining crying wanna-be victims.
I agree whole heartly IDA for the simple fact as gery mentioned there is 62Billion dollars there now, at every scam artist out there trying to get there share of it. not to mention the other who are spending the relief money on $800.00 purses and strip clubs. I have a great deal of heart burn knowing that some kid is going hungry while this activity is happening.

Ida_Mann

I just feel a showdown with this girl coming tomorrow,,,,,was wondering if out in the real world there wasn't some opposition to my side.

now for the interesting, if not obvious part in all of this.........this girl still has "John Kerry for President" bumper stickers on the back of her VW Bug,,,,no additional comment needed.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

GSPKurt

Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

ronny86250r

even though the commitee might agree to doing that i think you should ask everyone about it then vote then, that is what i would want as being part of the group

Da_Mtg_Man

Florida is a right to work state. FIRE her in the morning and the problem will be solved.  ;D
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

cain73

I think anyone that donates is doing so to help a good cause - supplying aid to those that need it. And I think it was generous  of the winner to offer to donate the winning to the cause. However, I would be on your side. I think that if the money was collected for one cause (everyone that puts in knows what it's for) then for the committee to arbitrarily decide to change the destination for the money is wrong. It's intended to a good cause, but it amounts to misappropriation of funds none the less. If the money was collected for the night out then that's what it should go for. If those on the committee want to donate then they should do so with their own money. The only way to use the money collected for such a donation would require everyone that donated to be informed and give consent. It's not their right to divert money put in by others based on what the committee members want.  I would hope that everyone would donate of their own accord based on what they wish to give, but they shouldn't be forced out of their money even if it's to go to a good cause. That committee is trying to play Robin Hood. Stick to your guns, you are right.
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

CABLEGUY1

If it wasn't clearly stated before the first 50/50 that the monies could possibly be donated then it should not be changed now even if it were to be voted on. Just my 2 cents.

CABLEGUY1

If she still disagrees take her out in the parking lot, wet her down with a hose, put a ballarina skirt on her and beat her with a stick. Ooops. Sorry I got carried away.

cain73

Hey I was with the wet T-shirt in the parking lot deal until you got all violent Cableguy  ;D
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Dr.Dirt

Quote from: cain73 on September 19, 2005, 09:14:38 PM
Hey I was with the wet T-shirt in the parking lot deal until you got all violent Cableguy  ;D

I'm sure your in wet T-shirts all the time cain.  ;D

cain73

Ther should be a rule that dr bone head can't reply until he is informed and intelligent enough to have an opinion...never  ;) ;D
jk doc you're ok for a pimple farming hormone with legs  :o
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Dr.Dirt

Quote from: cain73 on September 19, 2005, 10:03:30 PM
Ther should be a rule that dr bone head can't reply until he is informed and intelligent enough to have an opinion...never  ;) ;D
jk doc you're ok for a pimple farming hormone with legs  :o

And your alright for a dress and duct tape wearing drag queen with one arm... ;D

cain73

Lets not hijack  this post - besides  leave your dad out of this  :o -  back to the monk thread boy !
Sorry for this interuption guys. I'm trying to teach this little boy some manners  ;D
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

MrsPureLogic

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on September 19, 2005, 08:53:03 PM
Florida is a right to work state. FIRE her in the morning and the problem will be solved.  ;D
Amen!  LOL  Just kidding, I (too) agree with you Id....... She sounds like she was on a hormonal high horse at the moment  :d and probably changed her mind as of today.  If she feels so strongly about donating to the victims, then tell her to walk around and collect for it separately!  Just my 2 cents!

cain73

Yeah and tell her to use the first half of Cableguy's idea and she'll collect a lot more  ;D
[url="//floridaatv.com"]floridaatv.com[/url] come join the fun

Honda328i

Quote from: MrsPureLogic on September 20, 2005, 08:51:13 AM
Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on September 19, 2005, 08:53:03 PM
Florida is a right to work state. FIRE her in the morning and the problem will be solved.  ;D
She sounds like she was on a hormonal high horse at the moment  :d and probably changed her mind as of today. 

That's what I was thinking too, from the tone of her e-mail  ;D  Of course the "sore loser" bumper sticker on her rear end tells you her cheery disposition and spirit of cooperation.  Be careful, her "donation" collections might end up with the ACLU to defend pedophiles.
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com