Main Menu

UH OH!

Started by NP04Foreman, September 09, 2005, 01:21:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NP04Foreman

 >:( :o

I dnno whats going on but my fourhweeler is messed up... i snorkeled it saturday and rode it like 6 or 7 hours straight i sunk it once but it seemed okay... yesterday i moved it and it was smoking really bad so today i changed the oil and now its smoking still it smells a little like gas and oil what could it be and what can i do?! this could be bad trouble and my parents will be pissed if i mess it up
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

svtbolt04

Hah, thats why they make kits that are designed for the bikes. Your ghettoness job you did is going to cost you some money. Good job.
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Toomey

First of all don't panic, just keep asking people in the know and you'll find out what needs to be done.
Looking for a junker dirt bike project.

Da_Mtg_Man

clean your air filter. You got water/dirt in it.
When you put the cover back on put some matine grease around the lip on the inside and that will help stop the water from getting in. Check all your fitting and make sure the hose clamps are tight also.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

unstopible450s

is it white smoke or blackish smoke .....did u sink it before u got the snorkel cuz ur cylinder could be scored now...takes some time....if it is gotta bore it out and get over sized piston and rings....happend to my old 02 450s 3 times...cost me like 300$ to do it myself.... if that isnt the case after u snorkeled it did u adjust the fuel air mixture? maybe ur running lean or what not.....but i doubt that ur cylinder probly got scratched
naples....FL.....HONDA REPREESENTIN


2004 450es

27 mudzillas,HL lift, HL bash and full skid, oxilte cv gaurds, K&N, hmf, 135 main jet, triangle snorkel, itp tims

NP04Foreman

Quote from: svtbolt04 on September 09, 2005, 01:26:16 AM
Hah, thats why they make kits that are designed for the bikes. Your ghettoness job you did is going to cost you some money. Good job.

You dont have to be such a jerk about it this sucks im scared this is going to be something bad...
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

bigscrub79

Quote from: ForemanMudder87 on September 09, 2005, 02:28:05 AM
Quote from: svtbolt04 on September 09, 2005, 01:26:16 AM
Hah, thats why they make kits that are designed for the bikes. Your ghettoness job you did is going to cost you some money. Good job.

You dont have to be such a jerk about it this sucks im scared this is going to be something bad...
Dont worry about him, just follow the real advise on here and everything will be ok.
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

jwscroll

SVTbolt is just jealous that he can't follow thru the deepghetto. No snorkle.
And it's called Redneck Engineering not ghetto.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

NP04Foreman

Quote from: jwscroll on September 09, 2005, 11:13:37 AM
SVTbolt is just jealous that he can't follow thru the deepghetto. No snorkle.
And it's called Redneck Engineering not ghetto.

Yes sir thank you very much... That is the truth!! ;)
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

GSPKurt

Did you figure it out yet? What was it? ???
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Njoutlaw88

Dont worry, you'll be fine. I  was in the same situation as you the other day. I stripped two bolts on my fork  and I didn't want my parents to find out. I brought it in and they fixed it but I ended up telling my dad anyway.

Anyway. If the bike stalls when you give it gas tow it to build up compression. You could have bad gas. Drain the gas and put some new gas in and it shoud work.

Good luck.

OIF_Warrior

Hey dude, I don't have any technical advice but I can say that everythiong will be alright just take it easy. Everybody messes sometimes. I'm 32 man, i've messed up a bunch but everything always works out. The important thing is that if you did make a mistake somewhere that you learn from it.  Take'r easy bro'
A bad day 4-wheelin' is better than the best day in Iraq.

Formerly Known As: Juggalo_Warrior

Old_School

White smoke = oil burning

Black smoke = gas burning

If you sank it water/mud must have been sucked into the carb and thus into the cylinder. Now it smoking could be like someone mentioned above about the cylinder scoring. You probably have blow by if it's white smoke. Maybe a piston ring broke or a ring glad is broke. Find out what the stock compression should be and do a compression test on it. If it's considerably lower over 15% then you need a rebore and new piston.  Or just say forgetaboutit and just keep an eye on your oil level.

-Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

GSPKurt

Quote from: Njoutlaw88 on September 09, 2005, 04:20:50 PM
Dont worry, you'll be fine. I  was in the same situation as you the other day. I stripped two bolts on my fork  and I didn't want my parents to find out. I brought it in and they fixed it but I ended up telling my dad anyway.

Anyway. If the bike stalls when you give it gas tow it to build up compression. You could have bad gas. Drain the gas and put some new gas in and it shoud work.

Good luck.

DO NOT TOW IT TO BUILD COMPRESSION!!!!!

If there is water in the cylinder, it will bend a rod.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: Old_School on September 09, 2005, 07:40:28 PM
White smoke = oil burning

Black smoke = gas burning

If you sank it water/mud must have been sucked into the carb and thus into the cylinder. Now it smoking could be like someone mentioned above about the cylinder scoring. You probably have blow by if it's white smoke. Maybe a piston ring broke or a ring glad is broke. Find out what the stock compression should be and do a compression test on it. If it's considerably lower over 15% then you need a rebore and new piston.  Or just say forgetaboutit and just keep an eye on your oil level.

-Mark
BLUE SMOKE = OIL BURNING
WHITE SMOKE = COOLANT in COMBUSTION CHAMBER
BLACK SMOKE = OVER FUELED however sometime an over fueled engine will develop white smoke also pre combustion.

NP04Foreman

Quote from: Old_School on September 09, 2005, 07:40:28 PM
White smoke = oil burning

Black smoke = gas burning

If you sank it water/mud must have been sucked into the carb and thus into the cylinder. Now it smoking could be like someone mentioned above about the cylinder scoring. You probably have blow by if it's white smoke. Maybe a piston ring broke or a ring glad is broke. Find out what the stock compression should be and do a compression test on it. If it's considerably lower over 15% then you need a rebore and new piston.  Or just say forgetaboutit and just keep an eye on your oil level.

-Mark

hopw do i test compression?
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

NP04Foreman

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on September 10, 2005, 01:28:30 AM
Quote from: Old_School on September 09, 2005, 07:40:28 PM
White smoke = oil burning

Black smoke = gas burning

If you sank it water/mud must have been sucked into the carb and thus into the cylinder. Now it smoking could be like someone mentioned above about the cylinder scoring. You probably have blow by if it's white smoke. Maybe a piston ring broke or a ring glad is broke. Find out what the stock compression should be and do a compression test on it. If it's considerably lower over 15% then you need a rebore and new piston.  Or just say forgetaboutit and just keep an eye on your oil level.

-Mark
BLUE SMOKE = OIL BURNING
WHITE SMOKE = COOLANT in COMBUSTION CHAMBER
BLACK SMOKE = OVER FUELED however sometime an over fueled engine will develop white smoke also pre combustion.

I dont use collant it has a fan so i dont know about the white smoke... mine is definently putting out white smoke though
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

jwscroll

You guys are killin me. The foreman operates without liquid coolant, it has a oilradiator that cools the engine oil. Do not try towing it to build compression, if you get water in the engine it will probably hydrolock and you have to release the compression by removing anf cleaning the spark plug.
You would know the instant water went thru the carb, the bike would run like crap. You only mentioned smoke.
Now are you sure that it's smoke coming out and not steam? If you have water trapped in the exhaust it will steamup and look sorta like white smoke.
I was looking at an older Foreman yesterday and it has a 1 1/2 inch snorkle, I've seen this particular bike throw mud everywhere.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

NP04Foreman

I think I have it all figured out! All ya'll are wrong... there is milky oil that is being put through my motor cauz i tore it all apart and saw it so its going to be blowing smoke until the good oil gets going through or i get the milky out.... so thats what it is... i am not done tearing it apart ill let ya'll know after im done! ;)
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

GSPKurt

Quote from: ForemanMudder87 on September 10, 2005, 07:59:12 PM
I think I have it all figured out! All ya'll are wrong... there is milky oil that is being put through my motor cauz i tore it all apart and saw it so its going to be blowing smoke until the good oil gets going through or i get the milky out.... so thats what it is... i am not done tearing it apart ill let ya'll know after im done! ;)

Glad you got it all figured out.
You DO know milky oil means water is in the oil, right?
I'm no atv mechanic, but I don't think that would cause it to smoke.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

NP04Foreman

"I'm no atv mechanic, but I don't think that would cause it to smoke."

Its not just the milky oil... that stuff is stored in my motor from before and then all the new milky oil combined into that and it is getting shot into my pistons and everything else and it is cauzing it to smoke becuase i havent changed my oil filter.
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

GSPKurt

I still don't see how not changing your oil filter will cause your quad to smoke, unless your rings are shot. Am I missing something here? I am not being sarcastic, I am trying to help you. A dirty oil filter should not cause you to smoke. Nor should water in your oil. I believe there is something else causing your problems. :dunno.gif
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Moose

Sounds like the white smoke is comming from the water that is in the oil. That thins it out real bad and it leaks by the rings, then in the combustion chamber it turns to steam. Just clean out and keep changing oil untill it quits, you should be good to go.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

Njoutlaw88

Quote from: GSPKurt on September 10, 2005, 12:56:50 AM
Quote from: Njoutlaw88 on September 09, 2005, 04:20:50 PM
Dont worry, you'll be fine. I  was in the same situation as you the other day. I stripped two bolts on my fork  and I didn't want my parents to find out. I brought it in and they fixed it but I ended up telling my dad anyway.

Anyway. If the bike stalls when you give it gas tow it to build up compression. You could have bad gas. Drain the gas and put some new gas in and it shoud work.

Good luck.

DO NOT TOW IT TO BUILD COMPRESSION!!!!!

If there is water in the cylinder, it will bend a rod.

Really every time me or a friend flood our dirt bikes we tow them and let out the clutch and eventually they start

NP04Foreman

Quote from: Moose on September 13, 2005, 01:19:01 AM
Sounds like the white smoke is comming from the water that is in the oil. That thins it out real bad and it leaks by the rings, then in the combustion chamber it turns to steam. Just clean out and keep changing oil untill it quits, you should be good to go.

Have you had this problem before? This stuff really sucks... I was told last night I need to take off my Cylinder Head cauz there might be a crack in it or a hole or there might be water in there... I dnno I'm getting it checked out this week hopefully.
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

GSPKurt

I would start with the easiest/cheapest first. Change the oil & filter, run it at idle until the oil gets through the cooler, change the oil, run it, keep changing the oil until the milkiness is gone. Then ride it some to see if it still smokes. If that doesn't do it, it's time for professional help. Sound reasonable? At least you'll get the water out of the oil and eliminate that as a factor.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

Moose

I agree, just keep changing the oil and filter, it will clean up. After a short time of riding, the smoke should stop.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

gtnwood

#27
I DONT THINK IT'S GONNA STOP SMOKIN IF HE WASHED HIS RINGS, WHICH IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY IF HE IS SMELLIN GAS AND OIL AT THE SAME TIME FROM HIS EXHAUST, PROBABLY STILL GONNA NEED A COMPRESSION TEST TO CONFIRM. HOWEVER THAT ALSO WILL REQUIRE MULTIPLE OIL CHANGES TO GET THE FUEL OUT OF THE ENTIRE OILING SYSTEM. JUST A SUGGESTION, CARRY ON.
'Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and
rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition
that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.'
(From a Texas A&M student)
2005 Kodiak 450, 26" 589s

GSPKurt

That's true, but he's gotta start somewhere. If that doesn't do it, then do a compression test or seek professional assistance.
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

NP04Foreman

I got it totally fixed today... I just got the oil with no water left in it at all and rode it full throttle up and down my ditch line for like 10-15 minuntes and the smoke went away then i let it cool down and started it again and it was fine... I'll check it tomorrow evening...
'04 Honda Foreman 450 4x4
26" ITP MudLites
K&N AirFilter
Warn Winch

jwscroll

Props to Foremanmudder for having passed the first hurdle of quad ownership. Now just keep it dry inside.
Hold
On
Not
Done
Accelerating

GSPKurt

Quote from: ForemanMudder87 on September 16, 2005, 02:51:18 AM
I got it totally fixed today... I just got the oil with no water left in it at all and rode it full throttle up and down my ditch line for like 10-15 minuntes and the smoke went away then i let it cool down and started it again and it was fine... I'll check it tomorrow evening...

If I may suggest-
Change the oil ONE LAST TIME...
Kurt Hargarten
2005 Suzuki Eiger 4X4 5 speed
Warn Winch

johnnygun

listen to gpskurt, brother. swamped the crap out of my bike. between the motor and the lines and the oil cooler, i had to change my oil / filter 4 times
before the oil stopped milkin up. glad all seems 8) ok though.
2005 arctic cat 500LE, snorkel, ITP 589'S,WARN Winch, k&n air, Vision black 161 wheels, SPEEDWERX pipe'd & jetted.
2006 arctic cat 400,WARN Winch, k&n air, cat alloy 7-spoke wheels.
1985 Honda ATC 250sx, UNI air, ITP alloy's.
old everglades swamp rat..area 3-A, camp 23

LT-R450ApK

Quote from: svtbolt04 on September 09, 2005, 01:26:16 AM
Hah, thats why they make kits that are designed for the bikes. Your ghettoness job you did is going to cost you some money. Good job.

hey i made my kit,how you think the kits out on the market got started?
My home made job looks good and works better care to follow me to see how deep we can run?   :-*
Zuk 4Fiddy Lots O Stuff
Faster to list whats stock