96 sporstman500 IS IT WORTH IT?

Started by MadMudder, September 07, 2005, 09:51:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadMudder

This is my frist post i have put up in a while due to getting a new computer but anyway, Our friend that we have know for just about ever is selling his 1996 polaris sportsman500 when hutting season is over in January. He takes real good care of his quads and performence is not a major concern with him. But he does want a new one and has offered to sell his to us. It has never been sunk or abused and has had the oil changed regurarly. He doesn't know the final price but he is looking for anywhere for 1000 to 1500$. But, isn't a 10 year old bike an accident wating to happen. The last two trips we have took with him something has broke. First it was something to do with the right rear wheel. Not sure what it was but if we would have kept riding the right tire would have just rolled right off. And just this weekend the belt broke. Now this might just be routiene stuff but isn't it about time for everything to start falling off of it and breaking. It also has a 2500 winch if that changes anything. My question is would it be worth about 1200 bucks and isn't it about time to fall apart. ANY input would be appreicated. Thanks
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Ida_Mann

well, after all,,,,,it is a Polaris.  :dunno.gif

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Dr.Dirt

I am sure most of you know Polaris's logo..you know POLARIS: THE WRONG CHOICE.  ;D

stump66

If you don't take it pm me I know someone who might.
Where is it??
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

Magnum330

Well I would have to say what kind of riding does he do was it abused did he service it regularly how many hours are on it was it kept inside out of the weather?

Look at it this way if you paid 1200.00 for it and something broke on it could you afford to fix it or put some money in it.

It might be worth getting something new if your wallet can handle it. If it's been taken care of and not abused and 1200.00 was all I could afford right now I might. Since he has been afriend and you have known him forever I would go for it.

If I was selling something I would be honest and let people know what was wrong with it if anything. Friendship goes a long way.

After all it might be polaris but all of em were made by man
and will have problems sooner or later. If you take care of what you got it will last you.
Donnie
Meet ya out on the trail.

yunt2ride

You would not be going wrong by buying this quad. Even if you buy a new quad, you will have a belt go bad if you use it. Belts are a wear item. As for the rear tire. It may have been just a wheel bearing and for it to be 9 years old. Wheel bearings are something that it wouldn't hurt to replace all of them anyways. You will have some things happen to it but a new polaris 500 will cost you 6 to 7 thousand dollars. The rear axles are not hard to work on either if you get a manual. I don't care what brans you buy, if you buy a 10 year old quad it will have its share of problems. At least you know how this one has been treated. As far as polaris brand. If you but a name brand (polaris,honda,kawasaki,arctic cat, or suzuki) you will get a pretty good quad but I promise you that even as a new one, it can and will have problems. I ride a polaris and am gonna purchase a new quad in March. I thought about kawasaki, arctic cats and hondas, but I see how I treat mine and think I'm going to a polaris 500. I thought about going to the 700 but the 500 has plenty of power and is a single cylinder so there will only be one of everything instead of two like a twin engine.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

MadMudder

Well it seems that everyone agrees in here except for a few doctors... Anyway i'm probably gonna take him up on the offer once hutting season is over. Thanks for all the info. ;D
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

stump66

If that 500 is a bit too much for you I might be willing to trade you for a newer extremely low hour and clean '01 trailblazer thats mint with a few mods?  ;D
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

MadMudder

Yea, i am only 13 but my dad has a 2004 500 h.o. sportsman and i ride it all the time and am very used to it. So the non high output version should be easier to use. Also i'm not very into sport quads.. Thanks anyway :)
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com