Math people help

Started by Njoutlaw88, August 15, 2005, 04:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Njoutlaw88

I know this is a stupid question but what makes this negitive or postive? I know the answer is 10 over 3.

3(-2) -4
-------------
(-2 -1)(-1)

Ida_Mann

oh man, it's been a while.

is it something like a negative multiplied by a negative makes a positive?

I don't know if I remember that right, but if I do that would make the answer

-10
-------
  3

which doesn't make sense to me,,,,it's been a long time since high school.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

qt314nfla

ida i've got the same answer as you do.  and you have the right rational.

3*(-2)= -6;  -6-4= -10

-2-1= -3; -3*-1= 3

answer -10/3

had the three been negative it would have had a positive answer for the reason ida stated above.  hope this helps.

Old_School

Quote from: Njoutlaw88 on August 15, 2005, 04:45:26 PM
I know this is a stupid question but what makes this negitive or postive? I know the answer is 10 over 3.

3(-2) -4
-------------
(-2 -1)(-1)

Ok it's been awhile but if I remember correcty, you first start with the actions in parenthasis(sp?). So 3 x -2 = -6. -6-4 = -10. You sure it should be a positive 10? The bottom is right [-2 - 1= -3. -3 x -1 = 3. I come up with -10/3. -Mark
90' LT500R Quadzilla
Breathing fire and crushing cities

92' LT250R Quadracer
Some stuff done. 75+mph (Sold)

"When this baby hits 88 mph, you're gonna see some serious $%#!" - Christopher Lloyd

Da_Mtg_Man

Thats an easy one.

Just go to the back of the book and the answer will be there.  ;D
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Mrs.Nightbreed

Quote from: Njoutlaw88 on August 15, 2005, 04:45:26 PM
I know this is a stupid question but what makes this negitive or postive?

If top and bottom are the same it is positive. If one is positive and one is negative it is negative.

PureLogic

Target has a really nice scientific calculator for under 30 dollars!
[url="http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg"]http://img145.imageshack.us/img145/6514/fmrsiggi3.jpg[/url]

dvx400#1

i got one
16/3 by the 5th power to the 4th dimension + -8=_______
solve this one. ???

mudmonkey

the answer is simple.             -10
                                             _____
                                                 3

i know this because i have algebra 1 in the eighth grade  ::)  . it is just like my old homework in the seventh grade(pre algebra*for those who arent good with math*)   
heres my work:::   
3(-2)-4
______
(-2-1)(-1)


3 times -2 is -6 minus four is negative 10

negative 2 minus 1 is negative 3 times negative 1 is positive 3

so the answer is     -10
                              --------
                                 3


  ~courtney~
[url="//myspace.com/atvracer9210"]myspace.com/atvracer9210[/url]

MY 2010 SPONSORS
East Coast Performance
Modded Motorsports
Presision services of Jax.

qt314nfla

call the math helpline or find it online.  i'm done w/ math for today.

Dr.Dirt

Quote from: Njoutlaw88 on August 15, 2005, 04:45:26 PM
I know this is a stupid question but what makes this negitive or postive? I know the answer is 10 over 3.

3(-2) -4
-------------
(-2 -1)(-1)

Uhhhh..... c?

gery350

the answer is.........42.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

Chuck_Norris

Quote from: mudmonkey on August 16, 2005, 12:56:09 AM
the answer is simple.             -10
                                             _____
                                                 3

i know this because i have algebra 1 in the eighth grade  ::)  . it is just like my old homework in the seventh grade(pre algebra*for those who arent good with math*)   
heres my work:::   
3(-2)-4
______
(-2-1)(-1)


3 times -2 is -6 minus four is negative 10

negative 2 minus 1 is negative 3 times negative 1 is positive 3

so the answer is     -10
                              --------
                                 3


  ~courtney~


you go girl!! I would take this girl seriously in her answers consisdering she is still in school and does a great job at it.

Mrs.Nightbreed

Quote from: gery350 on August 16, 2005, 01:15:48 AM
the answer is.........42.

LMAO!!!!

The answer to life, the universe and everything.... :D

klutchbuster400

Quote from: mudmonkey on August 16, 2005, 12:56:09 AM
the answer is simple.             -10
                                             _____
                                                 3

i know this because i have algebra 1 in the eighth grade  ::)  . it is just like my old homework in the seventh grade(pre algebra*for those who arent good with math*)   
heres my work:::   
3(-2)-4
______
(-2-1)(-1)


3 times -2 is -6 minus four is negative 10

negative 2 minus 1 is negative 3 times negative 1 is positive 3

so the answer is     -10
                              --------
                                 3


  ~courtney~

i have geometry and i still dont know what the - sign means :P

Honda328i

Quote from: mudmonkey on August 16, 2005, 12:56:09 AM
the answer is simple.             -10
                                             _____
                                                 3

i know this because i have algebra 1 in the eighth grade  ::)  . it is just like my old homework in the seventh grade(pre algebra*for those who arent good with math*)   
heres my work:::   
3(-2)-4
______
(-2-1)(-1)


3 times -2 is -6 minus four is negative 10

negative 2 minus 1 is negative 3 times negative 1 is positive 3

so the answer is     -10
                              --------
                                 3


  ~courtney~


Looks good to me, I is an enjineer, jest can't spel ;D
[url="http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg"]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y162/Chuck_Norris/WANNARIDE.jpg[/url]

mudmonkey

Quote from: Chuck_Norris on August 16, 2005, 01:58:00 AM
Quote from: mudmonkey on August 16, 2005, 12:56:09 AM
the answer is simple.             -10
                                             _____
                                                 3

i know this because i have algebra 1 in the eighth grade  ::)  . it is just like my old homework in the seventh grade(pre algebra*for those who arent good with math*)   
heres my work:::   
3(-2)-4
______
(-2-1)(-1)


3 times -2 is -6 minus four is negative 10

negative 2 minus 1 is negative 3 times negative 1 is positive 3

so the answer is     -10
                              --------
                                 3


  ~courtney~


you go girl!! I would take this girl seriously in her answers consisdering she is still in school and does a great job at it.

awww thanks!!
[url="//myspace.com/atvracer9210"]myspace.com/atvracer9210[/url]

MY 2010 SPONSORS
East Coast Performance
Modded Motorsports
Presision services of Jax.

LakeMaryKid

ahhh its negative because the numerator is negative, therefore the whole answer becomes negative.
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

singleshot

Quote from: Ida_Mann on August 15, 2005, 05:51:14 PM
oh man, it's been a while.

is it something like a negative multiplied by a negative makes a positive?

I don't know if I remember that right, but if I do that would make the answer

-10
-------
  3

which doesn't make sense to me,,,,it's been a long time since high school.

Id@

CORRECT!!!   ;D
2003 Prairie 650
2003 Sportrax 250EX
2003 100 & 90 Extreme