Survival/Emergency supplies

Started by backinsaddle, May 19, 2005, 12:43:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

backinsaddle

Over the last few months I've been doing some research on survival/emergency gear.  I figured it's better to be prepared than to be stuck somewhere in the middle of the night with a broke down machine.  I've put together the following list of items that should help my family and I survive if we're stranded.

If you think I'm missing something, please let me know.  (And beer is not considered an emergency item, it's considered a necessity which falls under a different list  ;))

I thought about including one of those personal locator beacons, but their still in the $400-$1,000 range depending on the model.  Maybe someday when I have the extra cash.

I also have this list is excel, with vendors and prices, if anyone is interested.  Let me know and I'll email.  Or if you just want to discuss the list, send me a p.m.

Clothing      
Qty      Description      
1      Camel Bak HAWG w/3 liters water      
1      Camelbak Rain Cover S/M      
2      Military Jungle Hat-Blue      
3      Gloves      
3      Socks      
2      Rain Poncho      
3      Disposable Sunglasses      

Communication            
Qty      Description      
1      Make appropriate notifications of trip      
1      Leave note on Dashboard      
2      Chatterbox GMRS X1   5-mile range      
1      ChatterBox FRS     2-mile range      
1      Oregon Scientific All-Hazards NOAA Emergency Radio
2      Charged Cell Phone      

Fire            
Qty      Description      
1      Coghlan's Waterproof Fire Sticks (4)      
1      Windproof/Waterproof Matches in Protective Case
1      Magnesium Fire Starter      

Miscellaneous/Multipurpose            
Qty      Description      
1      U.S. Armed Forces Survival Guide edited by John Boswell      
1      Leatherman Wave      
1      Smiths Pocket Diamond Sharpening Stone-Med/Fine
1      Coghlan's Pocket Saw      
1      Pocket Chain Saw
1      Light-weight Axe or Machete
1      Texsport Action Adventure Gear Mini Pick/Shovel
2      Rags
2      Diaper Wipes package
2      Garbage Bags
2      Ziploc Storage Bags
6      Caribeners
1      Emergency Sewing Kit
2      Aluminum Foil
1      Rite in the Rain® Shirt Pocket Memo
1      Fisher Space Pen Co. All-Weather Writing Pen
2      Flat Pack Duct Tape
1      Tear gas
1      Gun
1      50' Parachute Cord

Navigation            
Qty      Description      
1      Garmin GPSMap 76CS       
            City Select North America
            US TOPO 24K National Parks, East
      Topo Maps-US Forest Service      
1      Star Compass      
4      GPS Batteries-Two AA      

Signaling/Lighting            
Qty      Description      
1      Surefire E2E Executive Elite  Flashlight      
1      Mag Lite -  2 AA's Flashlight      
1      Pocket Rocket 300' Aerial Flair (3)      
1      ACR® Hot Shot Signal Mirror with a float and whistle
1      Coghlan's Survival Signal Mirror      
4      Omniglow Lightstick 6 In      
1      ACR® C-Strobe Light      
2      Smoke Screen      
2      Flashlight Batteries-Surefire-Two lithium 123A 3.0 Volt      
4      Flashlight Batteries-Mag - Two AA      

Shelter & Protection            
Qty      Description      
1      Emergency Tube Tent      
2      Coghlan's Emergency Blanket 52" x 82.5"      

Food/Water            
Qty      Description      
2      Emergency Germicidal Drinking Water Tablets      
1      MiniWorks® EX Microfilter Removes bacteria, protozoa (including crypto and giardia), and particulate.      
1      Emergency Fresh Water Fishing Kit      
8            Weights, assorted
12            Hooks, assorted
5            Swivels, assorted
3            Flies, assorted
2            Jigs, Feather
4            Safety Pins, assorted
2            Safety Razor Blades
4            Leaders
1            Trotline
10            Bait
1            Bobber, small
2            Main Fishing Lines, 50', 50-lb. & 20-lb.
1            Tin Foil
1            Salt & Pepper
1            Fire Starter
1            Small Vial & Large Bobber
1            Instructions
1            Large Vial Container
1      Gill Net      
1      SaltPepper
      Tabasco      
      Beef Boulien      

Medical/Personal & Body Protection            
Qty      Description      
1      Atwater Carey First Aid Kit      
1            Latex Gloves
1            Small Gauze Wrap
1            Compound Benzoin Tincture
1            Medical Tape-1/2" X 2.5yds.
1            Tweezers
4            Ibuprofen - 200mg
4            Acetaminophen - 325mg
1            Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride Antihistamine 25mg
2            Triple Antibiotic Ointment Squeeze Package
1            Povidone-Iodine Ointment 0.05oz.
6            Benzalkonium Chloride Antiseptic Towelette
1            Wet Prep Green Soap Sponge
2            Small Butterfly Bandages
1            Sting Relief Medicated Pad
4            Small Bandages
6            Medium/Large Bandages
2            Large Butterfly Bandages
2            Curad Telfa Covers Large Surface Cuts
6            3X3" - 12 ply Sterile Gauze Pad
            First Aid Instruction Book
1      The Extractor for Snake, Bee, Spider and Other Bites      
1      Ace Bandage      
6      Excedrin Migraine      
1      Pain Killer      
4      Zantac      
5      Razor Blades      
1      Waxed Dental Floss      
1      Lotrimin      
1      Vaseline      
1      Sunscreen      
1      Lip Balm      
1      Zinc Oxide Sublock      
1      Dial Antibacterial Small Soap Bar       
1      Toilet Paper      
1      Tampons      
1      Ben's Max 100 Insect Repellent (Lotion)      

Tools/Parts            
Qty      Description      
1      CruzMetrix      
            6 Metrix Allen Wrenches
            32" Mechanics Wire
            12mm x 13mm Open End
            14mm x 15mm Open End
            8mm x 10mm Open End
            6-in-1 Reversible Screwdriver
                  Small/Medium Phillips
                  Small/Medium Straight
                  8mm/6 or 7mm socket
            8" Adjustable
            Cable Ties (Assorted pcs.)
            Electrical Tape
            Spark Plug Gap Gauge
            6" Vise Grips
            Permatex® Threadlocker
            Plug Socket Straps
            Shop Towel
            WD-40®
1      PackWrench™ 3-Way T-Wrench -8mm, 10mm, 12mm
1      Fuel Line 4'      
4      Spare Spark Plugs
            1-yfz NGK 1275 CR8E  0.028-0.031 gap
            1-250ex NGK DPR8EA-9 0.03-0.04 gap
            2-Eton NGK 7321-BPM7A   (GET GAP MEASUREMENTS)      
1      Spark Plug Wrench      
1      Sand Paper-200/400/600 grit wet/dry      
1      Tow Rope      

Tire Repair            
Qty      Description      
1      Stop & Go Pocket Tire Plugger & C02 Inflation      
            Nozzle
            Tire Plugging Device
            (4) Steel Canisters containing 16 grams each of 100% pure high-velocity CO2 gas
            Probe Tool
            Reamer/Rasp Tool
            Allen Wrench
            (15) Mushroom Plugs (5/16" diameter shaft x 3/4" length stem)
            Retractable Razor Knife
            Extra Zip Lock Bag
            Tire Valve Adapter with brass fittings
            Instructions for use of CO2 inflation system
            Vinyl Zippered Pouch (8" x 5" x 1")
      Patches      
      Glue      
1      TirePro™ 2-Piece Tire Lever Set       

Hope this helps someone,

Mark

EDT

looks like a lot of gear to carry.
2005 honda rincon

backinsaddle

It actually isn't that bad.  I have a fender mount bag that I carry the tools and heavy stuff in.  The rest is light and I carry in the Camelbak.  One of these days i'm going to weigh it, but the total package including tools can't be more than about 20 lbs.

Ida_Mann

I carry(when I carry)

2-3 capri-sun drinks
2 cans of slim-fast(dont laugh,,,lots of vitamins and a complete meal in a can)
1 small hatchet
6' cable lock(in case I need to leave the quad locked to a tree)
1 travel package of baby wipes
small first aid kit
GPS and two sets of batteries
1 mini maglite(2 AA size)
4 AA batteries
Nextel with two extra batteries

thats about it because if you think about it, in ONF where I ride, I'm never more than 10 miles from some kind of civilization where I could at least flag someone down on the highway if I was desperate.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

96 warrior

i take a leatherman and a pocket knife :o

if i where you i would take extra toilet paper and motor oil
96 (and a 98) warrior

gery350

TRUSTY LEATHERMAN AND ROPE AROUND THE BUMPER.
OH AND SOMETIMES WATER.
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

backinsaddle

slimfast, cable lock, motor oil...great ideas.

already have toilet paper, they make those little packages of pre-moistened paper that leave you feeling oh-so-fresh

If you ever see me on the trail, you'll know it's me cause I'll be the one with the yfz450 gypsy wagon.

big-daddy

#7
I carry a snap on tool box in my front rack and a pop up camper in the back rack. ;D j/k  :-/ Too much gear for me to carry on the quad. Big cypress is the worst to ride if you break down. an then a bring extra water, gas, bug spray and a tent, if I have to spend the night out there.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

LakeMaryKid

im curious, how do you pack all this stuff on a YFZ!?  :o
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

Ida_Mann

I'm gonna throw the tent on my rack one of these days and go out in the woods for a night or two.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

qt314nfla

QuoteI'm gonna throw the tent on my rack one of these days and go out in the woods for a night or two.

Id@
Now that sounds like a fun trip.  Let me know if/when you do it.

backinsaddle

It's really not as much stuff as it looks.  I specifically choose items that were lightweight and compact.  I have a fender bag that's about the size of a kids lunchbox that fits the tools/tire repair and some of the heavier stuff.  The gps is a handheld that mounts on the bars.  The radios are helmet mount.  The rest of it fits in the camelbak believe it or not.  This stuff is all small.  All the fishing gear is in a container about the size of 2 d-cell batteries.  The tent is the biggest item, and it's about the size of a folded up magazine, the blankets are smaller than a cigarette pack.  Rain ponchos are cheap $.99 specials that will probably break putting them on, but they'll keep some rain out for a while anyway.  The first aid kit is a small one that includes all the items listed below it.  The pick/shovel would almost fit in a sandwich bag, as well as would the water filter.  sunglasses are made of card stock and dark uv film.  Each group of items below was put in a 1 quart ziploc bags with plenty of room left over, and then squeezed down to get all the air out.  So I guess theres 4 or 5 quart-size ziploc bags of items in the entire pack.  It fits.  you wouldn't think so, but it does.

CAOSPOP

Anyone every wonder. We ride in the woods a lot. If ther was a fire these things spread kinda fast! Back how about you add a fire blanket. And also would you keep this stuff on the quad all the time ? or do you have a way to remove it for the small ride ? I'll send you a pic of my quad see what you think of the back box.

devildog55

i can uderstand the gun but tear gas and 2 smoke screens, sounds like your going into battle, mabye you should pack a flackjacket and kevlar. by the way what type of gun aare you carrying that fits in a camle pac with all that other stuff
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." GEORGE ORWELL

stump66

#14
I think thats an inventory list for a Hummer in Iraque.
 ???

Oh and maybe I missed it after gun but is bullets there?
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

VForcedave

Im with you "66". If your riding with some buds and making time everything should be fine. Water and a rope. I do't want to think that hard when its riding time.  
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

backinsaddle

#16
I don't carry all this stuff all the time.  Not local rides or when with the guys on a day trip.  I plan on doing some trips into the big parks in the near future with the family...i.e. hatfield mccoy and others.

I'm more concerned about my wife and young sons.  My wife never spent any time in the woods growing up, and she's really starting to like riding.  My concern is that we break down late at night in the middle of nowhere.  Without some way to keep dry/warm, she'll freak and never want to ride again.  Even at ONF, althought I may not be more than 10 miles from civilization, I'm sure not going to walk out at 11:00 at night carrying two kids in the dark.  What could start as a nightmare, hopefully will end up as a nice, peaceful night in the woods in relative comfort with the family.

As for tear gas and gun, serves a lot of purposes...protection, food.  Camping one time, we had a bear rocking our camper back and forth.  A little tear gas should scare them off, or anyone else not invited in the middle of the night.  Smoke screen is for signaling planes.

CAOSPOP, I'd love to see a pic of your back box.

CAOSPOP

i'll try and take some closer ones this weekend it plastic and its lockable !

Bigscrb15

Quote.........
1      Surefire E2E Executive Elite  Flashlight      
1      Mag Lite -  2 AA's Flashlight ......

Hmm, is there a reason you need a $95 flashlight and then a $7 one. Might as well get this one http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catalog.TextId?hvarTextId=55776&hvarDept=350&hvarEvent=&hvarClassCode=9&hvarSubCode=4&hvarTarget=browse lol.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

CAOSPOP

I'm a flashlight guy i got 2 in my truck charging all the time.
I guess you can never have enough light when your in the dark.

About the pepper spray ? im not sure if it will work on an 800lbs animal ? Ive seen it not work on a 150 woman. UGLY sight i might add. but I guess it counldnt hurt. you can at least spice up the food with it. ;)
















SWAMP_DONKEY

4 cans of "SPAM"
2 tins of sardines
1 pkg crackers
2 cans of skoal
2 24 packs of BUD LIGHT

 only kidding. thank you for some of those ideas B.N.S. I always like to be prepared but some of that stuff i would have never thought of.

stump66

You forgot the MOST IMPORTANT!!!!   :o

ONE TALL DARK AND LOVELY
OR
SHORT SWEET AND CUDDLEY
YOUR PREFERENCE.
I LIKE GOOD THINGS IN SMALL PACKAGES,LOL  ;D
BUT THATS A PIPE DREAM CAUSE ME AND SWEETS BEEN TOGETHER FOR 28YRS AND I'M ONLY 43 Would never change a thing. LUV YA BABE!
BUT IF YOUR SOLO WHOOO HOOO!!!! THE WORLD IS YOR OYSTER, JUST RAPP IT BEFORE YOU ..... welll you know.
GOD PUT ME HERE TO ACCOMPLISH CERTAIN THINGS, I'M SO FAR BEHIND I'LL LIVE FOREVER!!!! 
AND ITS NEVER!!!!
TOO LATE TO START!!!!

backinsaddle

#22
QuoteHmm, is there a reason you need a $95 flashlight and then a $7 one.

Actually, there is.  the surefire is extremely bright, but only lasts an hour or so.  It's as bright as a 4-d cell battery, and is smaller than a 2 AA cell mag lite.  It's beam is focused very narrow as well.  Great for signaling at night...planes/helicopters, etc.  Not great as an all around light though, because of the short life.  The other thing about the surefire is that it's light is regulated.  it stays the same intensity throughout the entire hour, and then you have about 15 minutes of fading light.

The mag lights are great little indestructible lights that i consider all-purpose for setting up a camp and will last a fairly long time.

CAOSPOP-love the sig.  my philosophy as well.  as for the pics, if you have a name/model, I can easily look it up online, rather than have you go through all the trouble of pictures.

atvdad6

one thing you forgot, under fire- that is awind proof lighter. It will light under any condition and at high altitudes if you buy a good quality one. They have adjustable flames which is great on wet windy cold nights. Be sure to buy the 12 hour glow sticks that way you have light all night in the winter. You can buy these for under a buck a piece at gun shows. Be sure to check the experation date along the side of them. Also if the foil seal has been broken they will go bad.

backinsaddle

thanks atvdad.  thought about the lighter.  most of the ones i seen were expensive, $60+.  Know of any cheaper ones?  

And i have the 12 hour glowsticks, good idea about the gun shows, it kills me to pay a couple bucks a piece for these.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com