Ocala National Forest trails update

Started by K_Man, January 26, 2020, 12:39:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

K_Man

So far in 2020 I have been able to ride the 3 atv riding areas in the ONF and this is my take on them.
Wandering Wiregrass
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=36872&actid=93
This is my least favorite riding area. Only 17 miles of mostly dirt roads. It has a combination of washboard/whoops de do's that make you feel like a giant bobblehead doll. It is a legal place to ride though.

Centennial OHV Trail
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=35802&actid=93
My favorite riding area. Has the washboard/whoop de do problem but not as bad as Wiregrass. I carry a chainsaw/winch on my side x side and remove the fallen trees when I come across them. Haven't seen any the last two times I rode here.

North OHV Trail System
https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/ocala/recreation/ohv/recarea/?recid=35803&actid=93
Washboard/whoop de do problem on most straight areas. Occasionally trees down on lesser used trails. I've seen it in better shape but still fun to ride.

K_Man
2021 Can-Am Defender X MR

little blue 300

#1
Your opinion on the three riding areas in the ONF are the same as mine. I have only been to the Wandering Wiregrass once and that was several years ago. The only thing that it had going for it was that the trails were more in the open and no blind turns.

I like the Centennial Trail the best, but it has a lot of blind turns. That's why I usually go there on week days as probably you do too.

I like the North Trails, but just hardly ever go there any more. I knew them so well at one point back in 2012 and 2013, that I didn't even need a map.

Someday we will have to go riding there together. Right now my side by side is down, but we have ATV's.

Larry

gmiller0737

Thanks for the update now that Hunting Season is over I should have time to ride some I prefer the North System (closer for Me) but only ride on weekdays

K_Man

I can go week days or weekends most of time. Let me know when you guys can make it and I'll try to meet you.
K_Man
2021 Can-Am Defender X MR

little blue 300

Anybody know if they're going to close the ONF trails down ?

West Virginia just closed the Hatfield and McCoy trails down   !!!

K_Man

Here is a list of what's open/closed in the Florida National Forests. The short answer is he Ocala   atv trails are open but the bathrooms at the trail heads are closed.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2789867554382895&id=722434844459520

K_Man
2021 Can-Am Defender X MR

little blue 300


K_Man

On my way home last night I saw a mobile road sign by Rays Wayside Landing the said that all recreational activities were closed in the Ocala National Forest.
2021 Can-Am Defender X MR

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com