Main Menu

AR15

Started by digginfool, July 12, 2012, 05:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digginfool

My brother just bought a DPMS AR15 in .223 and it's a sweet shooting gun.  I've always liked AR15s but never really wanted to spend the cash for one when my AK did just fine (he spent almost $2,000.00 by the time he was done customizing the gun whereas my AK was under $500.00 and shot just fine out of the rags).  I know there are a number of variants and makers so here goes; build an off-brand or go Colt?  If off-brand, what brand do you recommend?  What accessories would you recommend?  .223 or .308? 
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Anoriginal

Shoot me an email tomorrow or call me. I can give you all sorts of directions to go when it comes to black rifles.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

svtbolt04

Is it true that .223 is a more common ammo?
823 for life!



Black wheels, plastics, some shiny chrome pieces. Left over dirt from last year, handle bars.

Anoriginal

Quote from: svtbolt04 on July 13, 2012, 02:14:00 AM
Is it true that .223 is a more common ammo?

Not really. You can buy .308 in surplus pretty easy as well.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

digginfool

I had decided that I wasn't going to buy an AR15 so i went to the gun shop to pick up an FN 57.  Unfortunately, that's become a very difficult gun to find and the ammo is even tougher.  I already own a S&W 1006 so I don't need any additional ammo headaches.  Just so happened the dealer had a brand new Colt M4 Carbine for about the same price I would have paid for the FN.  Guess who owns an M4?  ;)  I love the gun just the way it is with the pop up iron sights, no handle.  Plenty of rail space if I decide to accessorize later.  Ran 200 rounds threw it yesterday and it is a joy to shoot.  Clean up was amazing; push two pins and the gun falls apart.  Easy to clean, easy to assemble. 
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com