Is camping safe at 5A?

Started by kgretiree, February 18, 2011, 08:09:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kgretiree

I'm a concerned mom who just registered to get some insight into the safety and conditions of the campsite at 5A in Mims, FL.  My son wants to go with some friends, age 17-20, this afternoon and camp for the weekend.  Is there electricity to charge a phone? Is it safe?  Thanks so much for any information an adult can send my way.  Thanks.

asmart82

I'd say it was safe but I've never actually seen anyone camp there. There is definitely no electricity or running water.  I wouldn't want to camp there but I'm not 17-20 either! I can guarantee there will be drinking going on though.  I'll be out there tomorrow around 11am so if I see any teenagers acting dumb, I'll let you know! :)

Baileygunns

There is no electricity, anywhere... It's not a campground it's just an area of woods with a nick name. They call it 5A because that's the county road that dead ends there. Google "5A Scottsmoor" and you'll find plenty of video and pictures of the place.

Define safe... lol

People camp out there but it's usualy a bunch of kids or rednecks with lots of beer and big fires... I wouldn't camp out there but that's just me.

kgretiree

Thank you so much for the info ... and for offering to keep a look out for stupid teen behavior!  Lord, give me strength ... he's going no matter what I say.

pineiroj

lots of folks partying at 5a tell him to be very careful riding around at night. Mom at least you are concerned enough to check it out good job on finding this resource. He should be okay my teens go to 5a sometimes at night  :(

asmart82

He will be alright.  It's not total chaos and anarchy or anything that I'm sure is running through your mind! ;)

Chevy1500z71

iv camped out there a few times. its safe if you camp back in the woods and stay away from moose pond, out by moose ponds is were any trouble would be at because thats where everyone goes to party.

zman03

Why not go with him?  get a feel for what is really happening and not someones opinion on a website. If your there you can see for yourself!!!!   
Youve gotta pin it to win it!

strubby

I've done lots of night riding out there and it's been sketchy a few times. As long as you're in a decent sized group, the biggest problem will be how much you drink, and the people you've brought with you, ha. I wouldn't camp out there either, unless I got a big group together...
'13 Scrambler 850 LE
'15 RZR 900 S
'15 RZR XP1000 Highlifter (SOLD)
'12 RZR XP900 LE (SOLD)
'08 Outlaw 450 MXR (SOLD)

hatchdemon89

I'd never camp out their comming from ny these jungles scare me LOL
09 trx450r
06 ltr450
03 ltz400---sold

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com