Buggy Coil Over Question

Started by IXIswamperIXI, October 16, 2010, 11:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IXIswamperIXI

My coil over's on my buggy are bad and I was not the one who ordered them and put them on (about 13 years ago) So I wanted to replace them but I know nothing about shocks or coilovers for that matter.  I ratched the buggy down on one side in order to compress one shock and extend the other and measured both of them. 18" comp and 24" extended but when I took the coil over off the buggy I could comp and extend them by hand (which I am pretty sure confirms they are bad) the measurements were 16 and 24 (with no out side spring on them)

Any ideas?
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Anoriginal

Check out www.kingshocks.com.

You can order exactly what you need from them. Great product.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Anoriginal on October 17, 2010, 04:58:53 PM
Check out www.kingshocks.com.

You can order exactly what you need from them. Great product.

Thanks I will look into it  :ThumbsUp.gif
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

foreman1

Did you get the transmission done?
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

IXIswamperIXI

Yea tranny is done, motor is in. Been riding it around on small trips testing and tuning. Seems everything is testing me. First trip out the power steering went out. Second trip a shock blew out. Third trip the steering gear box started leaking. Motor and tranny is running almost perfect which is A LOT better than before. Still playing with the jetting and timing trying to do one adjust at a time. The only problem I have had with the motor is that the machine shop didn't put any exhaust valve stem seals on the heads. So I had to order more and only got 4 and I am waiting on the other 2 to show up. New shocks showed up today but the damn order was missing two pieces and one shock was wrong. Good news the company is making it right. So I am hoping to get them in before the swampbuggy races I am going to try give rides at the races this weekend. All in all it's coming together one thing at a time. Hopefuly it will last through my kids and maybe we can build one together 
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

foreman1

She's gonna be brand new by the time you're done.
Thanks for the update.
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

IXIswamperIXI

Well I put two coilovers on tonight and it made a HUGE difference!!!   The other two shouldbe in tomorrow can't wait to put them on.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

foreman1

Youtube the buggy when done, and get a close up of the transaxle.
Lookin forward to it.
Thanks
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

Anoriginal

Speaking of buggies, I just finished up with major service on mine today. Started last weekend. All new bearings and ujoints in the front end and axles as well as the hubs. New ujoints in the front shaft, new tranny seal, oil, filters, fuel filters, belts, hoses, rear axle seals, some electrical work, new seat brackets for my new seats, two new batteries and greased all around. Ready for action!!!!   ;D
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.