Big Cypress Cracking Down

Started by Anoriginal, December 21, 2010, 12:53:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anoriginal

Had some friends of mine who went to their camp this weekend. The NPS was out in force and making sure the rules were obeyed. In fact, the NPS "pulled over" some of my friends on their buggy one morning and actually conducted a field sobriety test on the buggy driver.

Yep. You read that right. Pulled them over, in the morning, gave the driver a field sobriety test in the middle of the Big Cypress Swamp. He was stone cold sober and headed out to go hunt. They checked out licenses, permits, inspection stickers, ORV licenses, the entire gambit, soup to nuts.

If you thought the Big Cypress was restrictive before, you ain't seen nothing yet.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

lswjth2

This is actually a good thing, hopefully it will keep the ones that don't want to play by the rules out. Someone went into our camp within the last three weeks and helped themselves to our camp vhf radio.

Anoriginal

Yep. If they keep up the enforcement, all of the riff raff will leave I hope.

We've had a pretty steady stream of traffic into camp. The designated trails and markers funnel people right to the private camps where most people would have driven by and never known the camps were there in the past.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

zman03

Why not try to work closer with the very people setting the rules and enforcing the rules? this would dicscourage the riff raff and undesired people that could potentially steal,destroy or disrupt the "NORMAL" activities enjoyed by the regulars. It could also better identify the people that visit,enjoy, and recreate appropriately.  START A CLUB!!!!! STAND OUT AS THE CLUB  THAT FOLLOWS THE RULES AND IS A BENEFIT TO THIS NATURAL RESOURCE!!!!!!!!   The club that all the rangers know their members!!!!!!!             
Youve gotta pin it to win it!

AintSkeered

#4
Saturday, my son and I went out Monroe. Near Calusa Ranch, on the way to Mud Lake, we met up with two rangers in a Poolaris Ranger. They were staying in the NPS camp for the weekend. I'm all for the enforcement of the rules(especially the 15mph speed limit and designated trails only). It's the only way we're going to keep the privilege. But, I'm curious. Do you have to leave your ATV/buggy unattended on a designated trail while hunting?
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Anoriginal

Aint -

Yep. You're supposed to stay on the trails at all times, no exceptions. If you park it, it must be on the edge of a designated trail.

Its going to be really interesting to see how things play out over the next few years.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

Keeter

Has either of you sent your lottery form in yet?
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

IXIswamperIXI

Filled out mine for my buggy, we shall see
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Anoriginal

Filled out the lottery form about two month ago. Got a letter back last week saying they didn't need the lottery and my four permits I needed are reserved for me. So, I sent in the form to get my reserved permits on Monday.

If you didn't get in the lottery in time, you can start buying from what left on a first come, first serve basis in mid January.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Anoriginal on December 24, 2010, 03:19:07 PM
Filled out the lottery form about two month ago. Got a letter back last week saying they didn't need the lottery and my four permits I needed are reserved for me. So, I sent in the form to get my reserved permits on Monday.

If you didn't get in the lottery in time, you can start buying from what left on a first come, first serve basis in mid January.

Hmm I filled mine out a few months ago also but I haven't got the letter about them not needing the lottery. I'll just stop in on Jan
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Anoriginal

Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on December 24, 2010, 07:15:14 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on December 24, 2010, 03:19:07 PM
Filled out the lottery form about two month ago. Got a letter back last week saying they didn't need the lottery and my four permits I needed are reserved for me. So, I sent in the form to get my reserved permits on Monday.

If you didn't get in the lottery in time, you can start buying from what left on a first come, first serve basis in mid January.

Hmm I filled mine out a few months ago also but I haven't got the letter about them not needing the lottery. I'll just stop in on Jan


If you sent in the lottery paperwork, you should have a permit reserved for you. All you need to do is call them and ask. I bet you have one waiting on you.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

rdm225

B.C. will be like the holey lands all over again, riff raff from the east will surely get it shut down, what a shame

IXIswamperIXI

Quote from: Anoriginal on December 24, 2010, 09:36:35 PM
Quote from: IXIswamperIXI on December 24, 2010, 07:15:14 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on December 24, 2010, 03:19:07 PM
Filled out the lottery form about two month ago. Got a letter back last week saying they didn't need the lottery and my four permits I needed are reserved for me. So, I sent in the form to get my reserved permits on Monday.

If you didn't get in the lottery in time, you can start buying from what left on a first come, first serve basis in mid January.

Hmm I filled mine out a few months ago also but I haven't got the letter about them not needing the lottery. I'll just stop in on Jan


If you sent in the lottery paperwork, you should have a permit reserved for you. All you need to do is call them and ask. I bet you have one waiting on you.
Cool I'll cheeck Thanks
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Anoriginal

My new stickers came in the mail yesterday. One for my buggy and three for the four wheelers. Yellow this year again. Hasn't been that way since 2006.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.