Hummer brand goes to China

Started by big-daddy, June 02, 2009, 06:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

dgt714

So what happens to the military hummer? Who would make them? china?

asmart82

The military hummer is made by AM General, which is still US owned.  The hummer brand was sold to GM in 1999 I believe.

foreman1

Things cant possibly get any worse ........right? :banghead.gif
NRA BENEFACTOR LIFE

WarRifles.com
Live Free or Die
"When there is no way out - Find a way further in."
Continental E-185

asmart82

I personally am glad someone else has Hummer.  I thought it was the stupidest vehicle ever made.  There is no need (maybe the want though) for the size, the gas mileage sucks, and it is god awful ugly.  I can't wait to see 100 million Chinese rolling around in Hummers.

AintSkeered

#5
The Hummer is more a symbol of greed, than one of success. Good riddance.
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group

Justardnck

#6
I have to agree(sort of), the Hummer we know of is NOT the Hummer we started with. The old "go anywhere" somehow got turned in to a sort of Tahoe, they boasted claims of climbing steep grades and certain off road conditions but in the end it was a far cry from the original Hummer or Humvee. Most of the new Hummer owners would not run their $80K Hummer off road making the car line just fluff. Obviously people are entitled to drive what they like and I also agree with that but considering part of GM's issues is a few car lines that are just not selling either because of price or fuel economy. Why does GM need a Chevy pick up and a GMC pick up? My GMC is identical to the Chevy with the exception of some trim. GMC and Hummer brands are not really moving right now which makes 2 full car lines failing. Personally I think GM Should make all trucks and SUVs either all Chevy or all GMC and drop the other line if they're all the same which we know they are. This would possibly cut the failing end off of one of GM's car lines but still keep the consumers in a GM truck.

As a loyal GM customer I hate seeing this happen but I have to say they always seem to be way behind the competition on fresh ideas. Ford retro'd the Mustang and hit a home run several years ago, Chrysler did the Challenger last year and I love it! GM finally gets the Camaro retro'd and as usual they're in the back of the pack. Maybe a restructure is what GM needs to put it back on top. Unfortunately my stocks will disappear in the process.

Anoriginal

It's sad to see any American company go to the Chinese.

Now, with that said, I've always hated Hummers. I've experienced first hand their total lack of ability off-road. Over weight, too wide and under powered. A basic CJ-7 with decent tires will walk circles around any Hummer off road. I've seen it happen.

On road, they're cumbersome, hard to see out of, severely underpowered (even the Alpha), noisy and ride like total crap. Never mind the cramped interior and uncomfortable seating. I once traveled to Alabama and back in an H1 Alpha. Never, ever again.

Who knows. Maybe the Chinese will improve it.
One of the penalties for refusing to participte in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors. ~ Plato

Contrary to popular belief, nobody owes you anything.

dgt714

The Chinese will probably improve it ,to kill more Americans. It seemes to me at least every thing they send over here is hazardous to our health!

Gato

The one and only true hummer was the original Hummer with the diesel 6.5 what you see on the street is a luxury style tahoe but with that said we tore one up in the mud and rock and it was impressive but we drove it like it was meant to be done with NO ROADS
2008 Yamaha Rhino 700FI(camo)
2002 Arctic Cat 400i 4x4
2010 Arctic CAt 700 h1

Keeter

Quote from: Gato on June 10, 2009, 08:20:13 PM
The one and only true hummer was the original Hummer with the diesel 6.5 what you see on the street is a luxury style tahoe but with that said we tore one up in the mud and rock and it was impressive but we drove it like it was meant to be done with NO ROADS

Gato,,,I will be at RR for the fourth. Come ride.
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

trx#9

Quote from: dgt714 on June 10, 2009, 05:47:26 PM
The Chinese will probably improve it ,to kill more Americans. It seemes to me at least every thing they send over here is hazardous to our health!
And we give them business, good old american greed.  >:(
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

mrbones

China? Go with Jeep! As long as Fiat doesn't have a hand in them in the future.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

yfz450runner

Look on the bright side, now at least you can legally get a " chineese hummer ". ;D ;D ;D ;D

buythisatvstuff

Hummer goes to China........... I guess they didn't want our business and our money to get lonely
"Our government is too big, and it spends too much".......Ronald Reagan

Anything resulting in more government control is unacceptable.

Looking forward to change...........in 2010 and then in 2012 !

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com