Switching from Castor to Synthetic

Started by digginfool, December 26, 2008, 09:40:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

digginfool

Since new, I've run castor oil in my son's quad and I've decided to change to synthetic (tired of the wife complaining about the aroma - personally, I love it).  I've heard in the past that the castor will gel if mixed with regular two-stroke oil.  If that's true, how much cleaning do I need to do prior to using synthetic oil?  Do I need to clean the crankcase as well or will flushing the tank and carb be enough? 
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

4fittyr

yes 2 stroke oils don't mix well together and will cause a problem. so why switch if something works well  stay with it,cause u gotta luv the bean oil scent, mc1 is the best synthetic imo but clean and flush well before u add different so u got no problems later on
if u can't be good be good at it

Yamaha72

If your switching to a synthetic it'll probably have a much fowler and unpleasant odor then the castor blend oil... What brand do you run.? Maxima 927 is what I ran in my Blaster when I used to have it.. Great stuff and it smelled good at that.. Getting at your question though I'd say clean the carburetor to prevent any cross-contamination and flush the tank with some sort of degreasing/cleaning petroleum based solvent and allow it to dry if you do the switch.
2003 Yamaha Raptor 660

2005 Ford F-150

Team Alba Z400 Rider 43

#3
It is oil injected correct? Just drain the oil reservoir tank, and pour in new. Petroleum and Synthetic two stroke oil can gel up in big amounts. I myself would clean the carb just to be safe, but you should be fine. After you pour in the new just run some Sea Foam through it to clean the carb. Golden Spectrum is still the best two stroke pure synthetic oil in my opinion. I think most of the old school 250r racers would agree with me.

When I was really little and had my e-ton 90, my father picked up a kit that gets rid of the oil injection so you can mix the gas like you would any other normal two-stroke. I forget where he got it though. It's not very hard to do.
-2006 Suzuki LT-R450-
-2004 Suzuki LT-Z400-

Harry: "Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." - Dumb and Dumber

trx#9

Golden spectro synthetic blend is the only oil I would ever use in a 2 stroke. In my 2 stroke days no one was harding on motors than I and I never seized a motor due to lubrication. Do worry about the initial switch, the only thing is to clean the oil tank. I personally would take the oil injection off and pre mix my self, those oil injection systems always run the engine to rich.
Ok, my corn tooth friend. ;)
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

auctioneer

When I raced 2 stroke outboards I would switch from Klotz green castor to Amsoil synthetic and had no problems
2007 rhino 660
2009 Freedom Craft / L-88 427 W/stinger drive airboat
2008 11ft Puddle Buster w/200 angle valve
2004 Wrangler/8in lift
2008 750 Polaris sportsman
2002 F-350 lifted
2008 Rhino 660

digginfool

Thanks for the info.  The quad does not have oil injection so no worries there.  We always ran 927 but like I said before, the folks following behind my son complain of the smell and burning eyes/nose.  Might be the 110 octane we run.   8)  So, I guess after going through the carb and flushing the fuel tank, all that's left is to mix up a fresh batch of VP with the Golden Spectro.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

trx#9

Quote from: digginfool on December 30, 2008, 06:32:14 PM
Thanks for the info.  The quad does not have oil injection so no worries there.  We always ran 927 but like I said before, the folks following behind my son complain of the smell and burning eyes/nose.  Might be the 110 octane we run.   8)  So, I guess after going through the carb and flushing the fuel tank, all that's left is to mix up a fresh batch of VP with the Golden Spectro.
I always ran 5 gallons of race gas to one bottle of Spectro, 52 to 1 ratio.
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com