This blew my mind.

Started by klutchbuster400, September 17, 2008, 08:51:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

klutchbuster400

I got back my first algebra test today. I got a 55-F, which I thought was the wierdes thing, so when the prof. went over the test, turns out he magically mixed in my scantron with a different test form. Anyways, it turns out I got a 90-A. Thats not what this is about this, but its leading to it. One of the questions I did get wrong was, -5 squared. I was taught since middle school and a negative squared turns into a postive. Either the stereotype about public school is right, or my teacher is nuts, because he said -5 squared is negative 25, not positive 25.

Just venting, but seriously wth, I've never seen it solved that way.

shogun323

You are looking at it as -5 * -5. That does equal positive 25.

Algaebraicly it is written like this.

-(5 squared) = -25     So the negative is applied after 5 is squared.

I hate algebra. I failed it in high school.  >:(
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

Da_Mtg_Man

It never made sense to me either. Logically thinking/speaking, Whe you multiplyor square a negative then you are just going deeper in the hole. Think of it this way. I write 5 checks for $5 each and have a 0 balance in my account. Well, I'm now $25 in the hole.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Keeter

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on September 17, 2008, 09:55:58 AM
It never made sense to me either. Logically thinking/speaking, Whe you multiplyor square a negative then you are just going deeper in the hole. Think of it this way. I write 5 checks for $5 each and have a 0 balance in my account. Well, I'm now $25 in the hole.

Good Lord!!  What hole?  Write a check to JoeDirt for his generator. b:r

2019 Can Am 850 XMR

klutchbuster400

Its just funny that now its explained to me. In highschool they always taught us a negative times a negative gives a positive, same with exponents. I mean, when you put -5 squared into a calculator, even that gives you a positive 25.

KAW3604x4

Quote from: klutchbuster400 on September 17, 2008, 10:32:46 AM
Its just funny that now its explained to me. In highschool they always taught us a negative times a negative gives a positive, same with exponents. I mean, when you put -5 squared into a calculator, even that gives you a positive 25.

Not sure what kind of calculator you have, but you may want to buy one that gives you the right answers. ???

-5 squared in my calculater gives me an answer of -25. ;)
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

likitysplit

put the (-5) in parentheses then square it and see waht you get
05 VINSON MANUAL

Keeter

Quote from: KAW3604x4 on September 17, 2008, 10:51:50 AM
Quote from: klutchbuster400 on September 17, 2008, 10:32:46 AM
Its just funny that now its explained to me. In highschool they always taught us a negative times a negative gives a positive, same with exponents. I mean, when you put -5 squared into a calculator, even that gives you a positive 25.

Not sure what kind of calculator you have, but you may want to buy one that gives you the right answers. ???

-5 squared in my calculater gives me an answer of -25. ;)

Is that the same calculator you used to charge me for my deck?  ;D No wonder your price was sooo good.
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

KAW3604x4

Quote from: Keeter on September 17, 2008, 11:30:37 AM
Is that the same calculator you used to charge me for my deck?  ;D No wonder your price was sooo good.


That'd be the one! :o No wonder I didn't make any money on it! ??? ;D ;D ;D

And yes (-5) squared produces 25 on my calculater. ::)
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Kaw3604x4 Princess

Quote from: KAW3604x4 on September 17, 2008, 12:04:05 PM
Quote from: Keeter on September 17, 2008, 11:30:37 AM
Is that the same calculator you used to charge me for my deck?  ;D No wonder your price was sooo good.


That'd be the one! :o No wonder I didn't make any money on it! ??? ;D ;D ;D

And yes (-5) squared produces 25 on my calculater. ::)

You would think that you would have realized something was wrong when you were paying Keeter for the pleasure of building his deck.  ;D
Live your life in such a way that when your feet
hit the floor in the morning, Satan shudders &
says...

`Oh sh*t....she's awake!!`

qt314nfla

Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on September 17, 2008, 09:55:58 AM
It never made sense to me either. Logically thinking/speaking, Whe you multiplyor square a negative then you are just going deeper in the hole. Think of it this way. I write 5 checks for $5 each and have a 0 balance in my account. Well, I'm now $25 in the hole.

Well I know my bank charges $35 for bounced checks.  So wouldn't that leave you $25 in the hole, plus $175 in bounced check fees?  ;) :(

KAW3604x4

Quote from: Kaw3604x4 Princess on September 17, 2008, 01:14:59 PM
You would think that you would have realized something was wrong when you were paying Keeter for the pleasure of building his deck.  ;D

Yep! You'd a thought! :(
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Keeter

Quote from: Kaw3604x4 Princess on September 17, 2008, 01:14:59 PM
Quote from: KAW3604x4 on September 17, 2008, 12:04:05 PM
Quote from: Keeter on September 17, 2008, 11:30:37 AM
Is that the same calculator you used to charge me for my deck?  ;D No wonder your price was sooo good.


That'd be the one! :o No wonder I didn't make any money on it! ??? ;D ;D ;D

And yes (-5) squared produces 25 on my calculater. ::)

You would think that you would have realized something was wrong when you were paying Keeter for the pleasure of building his deck.  ;D

I call it friendship dues.   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

2019 Can Am 850 XMR

KAW3604x4

Quote from: Keeter on September 17, 2008, 02:39:10 PM
I call it friendship dues.   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

That's funny, 'cause, I call it "LESSON LEARNED" !!!!! :o  :P :P ;) ;D ;D
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: QT314 on September 17, 2008, 01:15:08 PM
Quote from: Da_Mtg_Man on September 17, 2008, 09:55:58 AM
It never made sense to me either. Logically thinking/speaking, Whe you multiplyor square a negative then you are just going deeper in the hole. Think of it this way. I write 5 checks for $5 each and have a 0 balance in my account. Well, I'm now $25 in the hole.

Well I know my bank charges $35 for bounced checks.  So wouldn't that leave you $25 in the hole, plus $175 in bounced check fees?  ;) :(

lol.... Yeah, see, Even more in the hole now.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

Keeter

Quote from: KAW3604x4 on September 17, 2008, 02:56:17 PM
Quote from: Keeter on September 17, 2008, 02:39:10 PM
I call it friendship dues.   :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

That's funny, 'cause, I call it "LESSON LEARNED" !!!!! :o  :P :P ;) ;D ;D


I will make it up you on the next job.  PROMISE ;)  I have a couple of projects in mind.   :bow.gif :bow.gif :bow.gif Thanks again
2019 Can Am 850 XMR

KAW3604x4

Quote from: Keeter on September 17, 2008, 03:50:11 PM
I will make it up you on the next job.  PROMISE ;)  I have a couple of projects in mind.   :bow.gif :bow.gif :bow.gif Thanks again

;D ;D ;D ;D How much will that cost me?  :o ;D ;D ;D ;D

I was kidding about "LESSON LEARNED"! Turned out to make a good friend! Thanks Keeter! ;)
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Team Alba Z400 Rider 43

You are just going to have to break it to your professor that he is wrong. -5 squared is positive 25. I'm in Calculus.
-2006 Suzuki LT-R450-
-2004 Suzuki LT-Z400-

Harry: "Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention." - Dumb and Dumber

NYRAPTOR

  (-5) x (-5) = 25

  -5 squared = -25

different but the same, the same but different.

mrbones

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

KAW3604x4

2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

LakeMaryKid

Yep.

-(5) squared = -25
-5 squared = 25

Parentheses first ;)

-Curtis-
2003 KFX 400
1994 F-150 - 12" SAS 38.5 Boggers
2007 F-150 Supercrew FX4 Luxury
2004 14' Mirrocraft

gery350

the same rule applies. the negative outside the parenthesis is considered a number, negative 1.

so -1(5 squared) = -1(25)=
  -1    times   25    = -25
  (neg)  times (pos) = (neg)  :lecture.gif
hey this is klutchbuster350, me and rl400*mostly rl400* made my dad this sig. now lets see how long it takes him to notice lol
hey while im here...........klutchbuster rules!!!!!!
[url="http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif"]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y235/klutchbuster350/gery350_3.gif[/url]

NYRAPTOR

do it in reverse, " the square root of -25 = -5"

quadracer1992

Quote from: NYRAPTOR on September 17, 2008, 07:21:11 PM
do it in reverse, " the square root of -25 = -5"
Its impossible to take the square root of a negative number. Unless of course you take into account the Unreal numbers and the variable i. Think of it like this, a negative times a negative gives you a positive, and a negative times a positive gives you a negative. But trying to take the square root of -25, -5 x +5, you get two different numbers. Therefore, there is no one number that is the square root of a negative, unless you use 5i, which is a whole other story.
~~~FF+J RACING~~~
FRANK#25 - HONDA 450R
FRED#192 - HONDA 450R
FRANKIE#13 - SUZUKI 400
JOSEPH#92 - HONDA 450R
ANTHONY#527 - SUZUKI 400
KELLI#415-YAMAHA RAPTOR700R
~~~SPONSORED BY MY DAD ~~~

Keeter

2019 Can Am 850 XMR

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com