New Member.....with a ?

Started by Lampy, July 29, 2008, 05:06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lampy

Hello fellow riders.  I've been riding for some time now, just thought I would check out a more local board and ask a quick question.

Has anybody here had problems titling their quads with the state?  I have owned my quads for about 3 years now and have registered them at Croom's every year, but since they changed things this year, I needed to go up to the tax collector and pay them their due.  My problem is that I originally purchased these in Connecticut, and they do not title them up there.  So the county wants a title, which doesn't exist.  I have the MSO's that show ownership, but they now want a notarized bill of sale from the original owner of each quad stating they sold it, eventually to me.  I am now the third owner.  I've been to the tax collector four times now, and everytime I go, they want something different?

Has anybody else had this problem, or am I the only lucky one?

TRX450R_Racer

Have somone write you a reciept for each of them, including the year, make, model and vin number. Say you bought them in Florida. If they are old enough for you to date the receipts before 7/01/02 then you don't have to pay sales tax. Read this link especially page 10 and print it out. Do what it says on page 10.
http://www3.hsmv.state.fl.us/Intranet/dmv/Manuals/DMVProcedures/BTR/tl/TL-44.pdf

Take it with you when you go there. I would go to one you haven't been to yet. If you go in there with this information you will know more than they do.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Lampy

You sir, are awesome.  I am printing this up and bringing this with me back to the DMV. 

My quads are both 2003's so there is no way I can say I bought them prior to 2002.  However, according to the manual you gave me, I only need an out-of-state bill of sale from the previous owner, which I have.  I only paid $100 for each one, so I'm not worried about sales tax.

Thank You.

TRX450R_Racer

Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Moose

If they still give you a hard time, just go to a different DMV office.
I had a problem at one place, so I went to a nearby small town and had no problems.
LORD, please keep your arm around my shoulder, and your hand over my mouth. Amen

megapurt400

Quote from: Moose on July 30, 2008, 08:32:22 PM
If they still give you a hard time, just go to a different DMV office.
I had a problem at one place, so I went to a nearby small town and had no problems.

I went around the system as well. I bought a quad from a dude in Ga. and they gave me the same run around, so I went to the local Cyco Cycle and bought some bs parts and asked him to write a frame and an engine on there. Told the dmv I built it from scratch and showed em my receipt they asked me to bring it to inspect it, They issued a new vin number and everything. I complied and now i have my green card for it. It took a little longer but it worked.

Lampy

I just came home from the tax collector with my new titles!  They still wanted notorized bills of sales until I showed them the documents I printed out. 

Needless to say, I will be out at Croom's tomorrow!

Thanks Again.

TRX450R_Racer

Quote from: Lampy on August 01, 2008, 03:25:40 PM
I just came home from the tax collector with my new titles!  They still wanted notarized bills of sales until I showed them the documents I printed out. 

Needless to say, I will be out at Croom's tomorrow!

Thanks Again.

Nice!

You taught them something today.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

Lampy

Oh yeah, I was very nice to the clerk.  It was the same one I saw earlier.  When
I showed her that, she brought it over to the supervisor (the one that tole me I needed notorized titles from day one).  5 minutes later, I had new titles from Florida!!

I took them to croom Friday to get the frustration out of my system.  I ended up with a stick driven through my water hose within the first 45 minutes of riding.  Luckily the shop right at the entrance had some spare hoses that I was able to make fit and we continued riding!!!

mrbones

Glad you finally made it out there. OAS saves the day! Got any pics?
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

TRX450R_Racer

Oas has saved us many times. Last time I was there they said business has beed so bad that they are wondering how long they can last.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

mrbones

That's what I hear just about every where. I've been wondering the same thing.
Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

shogun323

OAS saved my butt too this past Saturday. You ever rip the the woods on the north end and have a tree jump out at ya comin down from a whoop? I did and it bent the crap out of my left tie rod. I was able to get back to parking and then get a ride up front to drop $16 for a new tie rod!!!!
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

Lampy

Stupid me forgot my camera. 

I never bent a tie rod out there, but I also broke a heel guard and my brake light fell off going through the whoops.

OAS has always been good to me.  They always get me back out there.  He only charged me a couple bucks for the hose and I was on my way. 

I was talking to one of the park rangers there and he said they have seen a lot less people registering this year.  I told him about myself having trouble with the tax collector and he said between that and gas prices, people aren't coming out.  It sucks to see it trickle down to the shops that depend on the business.