ATV Safety Course and Group Ride- October 6th

Started by GrizzlyBear, August 13, 2007, 01:23:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyBear

To kick off the beginning of the ATV Safety Course for youth as required by the State of Florida we are going to have a group ride with both a morning and afternoon class for youth. This event will be sponsored by ONFA and will have representatives from the State of Florida and the USFS present.  We will be putting on the classes to demonstrate to the public what these classes will include. If you want to register , call the ATV Safety Institute at 1-800-887-2887  The price is $75.00, but after we are paid our fee, we will reimburse each parent $25.00  We will have a morning class for 6 to 11 yr old and in the afternoon for 12 to 15 yr old.

We will have 2 rides in the morning, a long trail ride(about 29 mi) and a short trail ride(about 11 mi) and a second short trail ride in the afternoon.  These will be family easy rides and we will have $.50 hot dogs and sodas.

This ride will be a good time to learn about what the safety course is all about.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

eldiablo64

don't you have to buy the annual pass per operator?that starts on oct.1st. doesn't it?or are they gonna waive it for this event?
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

GrizzlyBear

Good Question, we originally were planning it for the end of Sept, but the state could not make it.  The person who I will have to check with is on vacation this week.  I will have an answer next week.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

eldiablo64

TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: eldiablo64 on August 13, 2007, 02:03:49 PM
don't you have to buy the annual pass per operator?that starts on oct.1st. doesn't it?or are they gonna waive it for this event?

Don't forget you can buy the 3 or 7 day passes as well  ;D FYI for those that won't be frequenting Ocala as much these are great options...like at Croom you only have the yearly pass available if I'm not mistaken  ???

gmiller0737

I would like to take my 8 year old to a atv safety course but I have not purchased a atv for him yet, do I need to have a youth atv for him to take the course?

GrizzlyBear

Yes, if he is between 6-11 it has to be 50cc, if he is 12-15 it has to be 90cc or under.  You only need to borrow one for the course.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

ladyinpink

The three to seven day pass you have to use consectively..

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: GrizzlyBear on August 20, 2007, 02:34:28 PM
Yes, if he is between 6-11 it has to be 50cc, if he is 12-15 it has to be 90cc or under.  You only need to borrow one for the course.

OK I'D LIKE TO GET THIS STRAIGHT!!! My 12 yr old will need to take the safety course on a 90cc machine?
great! Then after the safety course will he be able to ride his 350 rancher around ONF?  or will the trail rangers be checking for ATV age compliance?   

GrizzlyBear

It is only the ATV Safety Institute that is concerned about the size of the ATV.  They go by what the manufacturers say is the right size. If a dealer sold your son a 350, he could lose his franchise.  The USFS has no size limits.
2006 Rhino Special Edition
2006 Grizzly 660
2003 Raptor 660 (son)
2003 Yamaha Kodiak

www.onfa.org

Prairie Master

Quote from: Can-AmGator on August 23, 2007, 10:16:26 AM
Quote from: GrizzlyBear on August 20, 2007, 02:34:28 PM
Yes, if he is between 6-11 it has to be 50cc, if he is 12-15 it has to be 90cc or under.  You only need to borrow one for the course.

OK I'D LIKE TO GET THIS STRAIGHT!!! My 12 yr old will need to take the safety course on a 90cc machine?
great! Then after the safety course will he be able to ride his 350 rancher around ONF?  or will the trail rangers be checking for ATV age compliance?   

Ridicule's the size of the kids who are twelve or older will make taking the course on a 90 unsafe , Maybe they should judge the size of the ATV on the size of the kid. On another note does it matter on the size of the 2 wheel Orv or "dirtbike" 
02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife

Busta Nutt

My problem is I have to send my kids to a safety course which costs75 bucks to ride a 4 wheeler they have been riding for years. Then I have to pay another 75 bucks per kid to ride the same trails they been riding for the last year. What  was free now costs money and the trails are 20% of what they were. No Rodman, No Eureka the whole deal is b.s. Hell i spend a few hundred bucks every time I go up there I think I support a good portion of the community. Time to call it quits I think

Stewards

Prairie Master - to answer your question yes it does matter, the instructors of the course go by AMA standards. Off hand I don't recall what they are exactly, what the AMA standards are. I know there are three age groups. 5 - 8 50 - 125cc 8 - 12 is 125 - 200 12 - 16 225 - 250. Something like that.

GrizzlyGator

#13
Quote from: GrizzlyBear on August 23, 2007, 11:34:35 AM
  The USFS has no size limits.

OK that is a little relief....Terry, do you think its possible you guys could rent a 90cc machine and say charge everyone that used it a fee? It looks like most if not all that need to take this course with one of their kids not a one has a 90cc machine. I believe I know your answer but i had to ask? (for insurance regulations we wouldn't be able to do that?) I'm guessing that will be it? And if that is the case is their a dealer down their maybe you could coordinate with to set it up; so one is available there for a fee?  I cant wait to see a 15 yr old 5'11" 175 kid on a 90cc thats gonna ROCK!! Whoo..sorry Terry couldn't help it :(..anyway the rest of my post was serious  ;)

psd

October 6th is  a Monday are you sure of the date GRIZZLY BEAR
2006 Yamaha Grizzly 660
2002 black Ford Excursion PSD
2005 Yamaha Grizzly 80
2011 Yamaha Raptor 125

KAW3604x4

Quote from: psd on July 31, 2008, 12:03:05 PM
October 6th is  a Monday are you sure of the date GRIZZLY BEAR

This thread is a year old........ ???
2007 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L FX4 w/Tow Command
09 Suzuki King Quad 750 Rockstar 4X4 27" ITP Mud Lites
[url="http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif"]http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/1497/fmrsmall2oi6.gif[/url]

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com