Southern Dirt Track Association- What's New?

Started by fastrnrik, April 05, 2008, 04:39:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fastrnrik

Some of you may have noticed the name change and some other different things. I explained some of it at the drivers meeting at the Jasper race, but for those who couldn't be there, let me clarify what is going on.

In an effort to streamline our racing efforts, Dave Ware and I have decided to consolidate the Southern Flat Track League and the Florida Dirt Track Association into one group- the Southern Dirt Track Association. We will be promoting flat track and TT races and/or race series for quads, motorcycles, and micro sprints at various tracks

This merger will be a good thing for everyone involved. Dave and I are both racers and we can focus our efforts on our respective strong points. In addition, long time motorcycle racer Shawn McNary will be the associations motorcycle liason, and will help be sure the 2 wheeled guys are represented.

We hope to provide everyone with some good, safe, and fun racing this year.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

-Brady Windsor
     

WJDTRI

SDTA needs a logo!!......and sell decals/shirts......make a buck and help buy some diesel. I would buy them

just a thought

Ward
#66Q

SOUTHERN DIRT TRACK ASSOCIATION
2008 SDTA Vintage Class State Champion
Sponsors: Cahill's Yamaha Tampa/Rogue Amusements Tarpon Springs/Express Cigars Tarpon Springs/Vintage Hotshoe/Pit Posse Motorcycle Accessories/Triple T Ministries Racing
[url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos"]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos[/url]

supervcycle

great idea!! the assoc. is small right now but it could only help grow the saction.i race in the ahdra(drag racing) and we have patches on our leaters abd they also have stickers for bikes and trailers.i think we should take up an offering, lol ,for the cause!
affordable sportsman repair and high performance! 813-417-8829
deo vindice

WJDTRI

SUGGESTION BOX:


Good Morning Brady
#1     I know alot of times at the races you are up against a timeline. ie: car races same day, noise curfew etc. But if you ever have the time, I think it would be great for the fans and riders if in the finals, you allowed the winner to take the flag for a victory lap or a short checkered flag photo shoot & maybe a short interview to allow the winners to thank their sponsors. For the younger kids, taking a victory lap would be the hit for them. For us older guys it is still the great joy and also allows us to get some checkered flag pictures to help in our pursuit of sponsors. For me personally, this is my year to practice, hopefully get a handful of top 3 finishes, get the pics, and start trying to obtain support by the end of the year in prep for 2009.

#2 - In trying to get the word out about the races, need a flyer created that could be faxed or emailed to all the major bike shops around the state. Post it on their bulletin board. This is something that anyone could do remotely and help your racing efforts. I would even volunteer in this effort if you approved of the idea.

#3 - Announcing - Would be great if the announcer had some short info tidbits about some of the riders Ie: their bike (especially vintage), sponsors, where they are from, (especially if they traveled from out of state). Gives everyone a little identity, educates the fans and allows them to choose a favorite to root for.

Please know that I think your team...SDTA........"Team Brady"........"Track Cats"... :) ...... is doing a "Fantastic" job promoting dirt track racing in Florida. Not trying to critique after only a race or two. Auburdale, the only race I have attended couldn t have been any better.....except maybe not falling.......Offering suggestions which am sure you have thought and know and offering my services if needed.

Ward
#66Q





SOUTHERN DIRT TRACK ASSOCIATION
2008 SDTA Vintage Class State Champion
Sponsors: Cahill's Yamaha Tampa/Rogue Amusements Tarpon Springs/Express Cigars Tarpon Springs/Vintage Hotshoe/Pit Posse Motorcycle Accessories/Triple T Ministries Racing
[url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos"]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos[/url]

LostCause

Good morning everyone

As Brady stated there are some changes that are going to be happening.

As of right now SDTA are running a few races over the summer to give the riders something to race for.  In October the other part of the change will take effect.  SSQSA will be promoting Flat track and TT racing.  This will be designed to give y'all plenty of racing.  With this it is going to make some other things a little bit easier.

With the program that we use we will be able to give the announcer a sheet that has all your sponsorship information and anything else you want to share.

Brady and I have been talking alot and I think this is going to be good for the sport in FL.  There are things that Brady and I can bring to the table to make this a great series. 

SSQSA started in Aug of 2006.  I would have to say that we are probably the 5th largest, growing series in the US. (as far as consistency goes)  Last years banquet we gave away over 10K in product and gift certificates to the riders.  With the growth and adding FT, TT, and HS into the mix this will be much bigger. We will be able to get bigger sponsors and better handouts for the banquet.

I am in the process of changing our website.  www.ssqsa.com  There is a forum page with a section for the FT/TT racers.  Check it out and check out the website.

I will be at the Ocala race on the 17th and hope to meet many of you there.

Brett
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

WJDTRI

Good Morning Again
     Coffee is kicking in this morning. Put together a sample flyer. With better action pictures......maybe Kurt & Shawn battling it out sideways in a turn and some quads hanging it all out would be better. They could be your poster children :). Just something I made while sitting here drinking my coffee. Hope I have not infringed on anyones copyrights or approval on the photos. Maybe you have a professional graphics person in the bunch.

Ward
#66Q

SOUTHERN DIRT TRACK ASSOCIATION
2008 SDTA Vintage Class State Champion
Sponsors: Cahill's Yamaha Tampa/Rogue Amusements Tarpon Springs/Express Cigars Tarpon Springs/Vintage Hotshoe/Pit Posse Motorcycle Accessories/Triple T Ministries Racing
[url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos"]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos[/url]

HillKiller

Quote from: WJDTRI on May 04, 2008, 09:26:32 AM
Good Morning Again
     Coffee is kicking in this morning. Put together a sample flyer. With better action pictures......maybe Kurt & Shawn battling it out sideways in a turn and some quads hanging it all out would be better. They could be your poster children :). Just something I made while sitting here drinking my coffee. Hope I have not infringed on anyones copyrights or approval on the photos. Maybe you have a professional graphics person in the bunch.

Ward
#66Q


I like it...knock yourself out, make all you want and circulate them. Bob Toney did just that for the Auburndale race and I got 5 or 6 phone calls from people in that area.  Be sure to add phone numbers. You can get them from the SDTA website.
[url="//www.southerndirttrackassociation.com"]www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com[/url]

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines


  Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here

stgsali

I'd be willing to share my expertise on logos and flyers. I have an AS in Graphic Design and have been trying to come up with an idea for a logo. Ward came up with one that looks pretty dawm good. Let me know and we will see what we can come up with. I have plenty of bandwith so emailing pdf files and jpegs (full-sized) won't be any trouble for me. :)

Richard
Photographs, Number-plate designs, Logos

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

yfz122

I will be happy to hand out a bunch of them.
Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away

WJDTRI

Hey HK
   Didn t see any names & numbers. Who all is proper for bottom of flyer to contact for additional info?



Ward
#66Q
SOUTHERN DIRT TRACK ASSOCIATION
2008 SDTA Vintage Class State Champion
Sponsors: Cahill's Yamaha Tampa/Rogue Amusements Tarpon Springs/Express Cigars Tarpon Springs/Vintage Hotshoe/Pit Posse Motorcycle Accessories/Triple T Ministries Racing
[url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos"]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos[/url]

jayman

It sounds like there are a lot of people stepping up to the plate to just try to help the sport.  I can not wait to look back in a few years and say, "look at what have grown into!"

Let me know what I can do for this sport. 
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

fastrnrik

Quote from: WJDTRI on May 04, 2008, 07:58:23 AM
SUGGESTION BOX:


Good Morning Brady
#1     I know alot of times at the races you are up against a timeline. ie: car races same day, noise curfew etc. But if you ever have the time, I think it would be great for the fans and riders if in the finals, you allowed the winner to take the flag for a victory lap or a short checkered flag photo shoot & maybe a short interview to allow the winners to thank their sponsors. For the younger kids, taking a victory lap would be the hit for them. For us older guys it is still the great joy and also allows us to get some checkered flag pictures to help in our pursuit of sponsors. For me personally, this is my year to practice, hopefully get a handful of top 3 finishes, get the pics, and start trying to obtain support by the end of the year in prep for 2009.

#2 - In trying to get the word out about the races, need a flyer created that could be faxed or emailed to all the major bike shops around the state. Post it on their bulletin board. This is something that anyone could do remotely and help your racing efforts. I would even volunteer in this effort if you approved of the idea.

#3 - Announcing - Would be great if the announcer had some short info tidbits about some of the riders Ie: their bike (especially vintage), sponsors, where they are from, (especially if they traveled from out of state). Gives everyone a little identity, educates the fans and allows them to choose a favorite to root for.

Please know that I think your team...SDTA........"Team Brady"........"Track Cats"... :) ...... is doing a "Fantastic" job promoting dirt track racing in Florida. Not trying to critique after only a race or two. Auburdale, the only race I have attended couldn t have been any better.....except maybe not falling.......Offering suggestions which am sure you have thought and know and offering my services if needed.

Ward
#66Q







1. Checkered Flag- Yes, if time allows, I generally like the winner of the mains to take a victory lap with the checkered flag. We used to do it alot at
    T-Bowl, and it was done at Jasper as well. Additionally, most tracks have a "Feature Winner" type sign for photo's.

2. A flyer is a great idea. I have used flyers(with varied success) since I started at T-bowl. As Dave mentioned, Bob Toney printed a flyer for the Auburndale race and had a good response off of it. If anyone has skills to make flyers, feel free. This is an area where myself and Dave are lacking because after everything else, we just don't have the time to dedicate to it. Contact me or Dave and we will give you all pertinent contact information fo the flyer.

3. Announcer. Yes, an announcer is a good thing. Everyone likes to hear their name, number, bike, etc. when they line up and race. There is an issue with announcers though... First, when we race at other facilities, we are relying on an announcer that calls the same stock car or cart races every week and is not familiar with our type of racing and doesn't know one motorcycle or quad from another, so even if you give him a sheet to work off of, they generally make tons of mistakes. Second, just finding an announcer is a challenge. It takes an interesting personality to get on a mic' and jabber away all night, and I know I am definately NOT cut out for it. I looked high and low for one for T-bowl, and when I finally found a guy, he just didn't work out(an understatement...). If anyone one wants to announce or knows someone who would want to, feel free to let me know.

     

stgsali

Here is what I came up with for the moment. Suggestions?
Richard
Photographs, Number-plate designs, Logos

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

yfz122

Any flyer with me on it is perfect!!!  Looks great
Next thing you know they'll take my thoughts away

stgsali

Alrighty then, here the updated version that I will have printed. Anyone that wants a copy pm me and I will send it to you. Or send me an email and I'll send you the pdf so it will print better, if you decide to take it to Target or Kinko's. It is set up for 8.5x11, standard letter. If anyone would like it bigger I can resize it for you to 11x14. Both stores will be able to print out as many or as little as you need. Richard
Photographs, Number-plate designs, Logos

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

2 wheeled flat tracker

Good job Richard, this is exactly what we need to keep this sport growing and heading in the right direction.

Thanks for taking this on and completing it
S.M.

WJDTRI

Nice one stgsali
    not alot of time left until the 17th. gotta get them posted.
next round am sure we will be better

send .pdf to

jonesyancey@tampabay.rr.com

can print my own
maybe use Shawns rider list to send to the two wheelers and request anyone/all to post at their local shop.....maybe someone has a similiar list for the quads. We all know numbers work......if everyone posted just one or two....knowing some people would be close to same shops.......word will get out. Maybe later, post on other regional flat track websites and try and draw some out of town/state riders.

some day when I grow up maybe I will end up on flyer.... :)

THANKS

Ward
#66Q
SOUTHERN DIRT TRACK ASSOCIATION
2008 SDTA Vintage Class State Champion
Sponsors: Cahill's Yamaha Tampa/Rogue Amusements Tarpon Springs/Express Cigars Tarpon Springs/Vintage Hotshoe/Pit Posse Motorcycle Accessories/Triple T Ministries Racing
[url="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos"]http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=694750372&v=photos[/url]

stgsali

Ward, Maybe next time we can get a shot of you loosing it! ;D
I think the flyer looks ok for the time invested. I believe I sent out the pdf to all that requested the file. If anyone else would like it pm me and I will get it to youif not tonite, tomorrow.
Richard
Photographs, Number-plate designs, Logos

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

LostCause

#18
If anyone needs a printable version go to www.ssqsa.com and go to the FT / TT page.

Hope that helps.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

stgsali

Alrighty then, How many of you got some flyers posted? I'm going to get some more out tomorrow to see what kind of response we get from them. Hopefully some will see what I've got in  Bronson next to the speedway there.
Richard
Photographs, Number-plate designs, Logos

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

DirtyDan

The flyer looks great and I don't want to sound like a critic but I think for the next one we should add something about classes. "Quads and Motorcycles of all sizes and all ages, Knobby class too" ;)

Lets race!
CRF450R
#94

stgsali

Trying to work on the one for the next race. Should have it ready to go by Sunday. Richard
Photographs, Number-plate designs, Logos

Government does not solve problems; it subsidizes them.

HillKiller

Quote from: stgsali on May 09, 2008, 11:11:08 PM
Trying to work on the one for the next race. Should have it ready to go by Sunday. Richard
Thanks! :)
[url="//www.southerndirttrackassociation.com"]www.SouthernDirtTrackAssociation.Com[/url]

Special thanks to my sponsor:
WareRacing Engines


  Sunoco Race Fuel Distributor
5 gal pails 110,112,116
See me at the track or email me here

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com