Sportsman 400 footbrake

Started by jackinthebox23, January 06, 2005, 05:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jackinthebox23

Hey, got a brand new sportsman 400 (Polaris) and have a question on the footbrake.  Manual says that footbrake is not primary brake, just auxiliary brake in case handle fails. Also, it is used to engage in reverse and highgear.  
Problem:  When I push the footbrake, there is absolutely no braking taking place.  It does work to engage the gears.  Is this normal?  Will brake engage when it really needs to?

fyi, the hand brakes work great.

ps. Wife surprised me with this for xmas, so I wasn't at the store to ask the guys there.
2005 Polaris Sportsman 400

Truegrit

Congrats on the great gift. I got mine for X-mas too. :D

You are correct in theory it should work, But I know of many whose don't work. The foot brake works off its own master cylinder, in case of failure to the other system.
But since yours is so new, I would take it bak to the dealer. If you are going to have them do the initial service have them fix it then. They way you will still be able to ride until then, its not worth the special trip.  
'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]