Shooting at River Ranch?

Started by Anoriginal, March 25, 2008, 03:01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anoriginal

Hey, I heard a man was shot and killed while turkey hunting in River Ranch recently. Anyone got any details?

That's terrible if true.

shogun323

Man killed in hunting accident

Last Edited: Friday, 21 Mar 2008, 4:01 PM EDT
Created: Friday, 21 Mar 2008, 1:15 PM EDT

The shooting took place on the property of the River Ranch Acres Hunt Club in Lake Wales.
LAKE WALES - The Polk County Sheriff's Office is investigating an apparent accidental shooting at the River Ranch Acres Hunt Club.

Shane Hasting, 39, was out hunting for turkey with his 6-year-old son when he shot at a turkey with his 12-gauge shotgun.

When he went to see what he shot, he found he'd hit 49-year-old Randall Williamson with the birdshot and killed him.

Williamson was sitting in what is known as a "squatter's chair," wearing camouflage clothing, boots, mesh over his face, and holding a camouflage shotgun.

Detectives say they're treating the shooting as an accident and no charges will be filed

http://www.local6.com/news/15667578/detail.html


"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

renmus

It was in the Lakeland Ledger.  You could probably find the article.

Anoriginal

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: Anoriginal on March 25, 2008, 03:15:48 PM
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear it.

Yea the guy that shot him was hunting with his 6 year old son.  That is one thing I hate about hunting, too many folks out there without Safety training.

shogun323

I feel bad for all parties involved. I know Turkeys have excellent vision but is it common practice in turkey hunting to shoot without actually seeing the bird?

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Although I am quite a gun enthusiast, I am not an avid hunter.
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

Anoriginal

You never shoot without knowing what you're shooting at, knowing what's behind your target and knowing you can make a clean kill.

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: Anoriginal on March 25, 2008, 04:07:20 PM
You never shoot without knowing what you're shooting at, knowing what's behind your target and knowing you can make a clean kill.

Ye sir, one reason I went to Bow Hunting only... more pure and less folks out there with the "if its BROWN its DOWN" mentality.  Clean Kill shot is something most hunters seem to forget.

shogun323

Quote from: Anoriginal on March 25, 2008, 04:07:20 PM
You never shoot without knowing what you're shooting at, knowing what's behind your target and knowing you can make a clean kill.
It seems only logical. Sad event.
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

Sleazy_Rider78

I have never been hunting either but would like to one day.  I have heard conflicting theories as to where you should aim for a "clean shot".  I have heard aim for the neck but have also heard to aim for the heart.  Anyone have some advice?
[url="//www.myspace.com/mlatcham"]www.myspace.com/mlatcham[/url]
Stolen: 2003 Yamaha YZ250F. Moto XXX graphics, Pro Taper handlebars, black Excel rims.  Pics of bike in Stolen ATV Watch Forum.
[url="http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html"]http://www.atvflorida.com/forum/index.php/topic,25023.0.html[/url]

Anoriginal

Depends on what you're hunting for, what you're hunting with and where you are in relation to what you're going to shoot.

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: Sleazy_Rider78 on March 25, 2008, 05:00:58 PM
I have never been hunting either but would like to one day.  I have heard conflicting theories as to where you should aim for a "clean shot".  I have heard aim for the neck but have also heard to aim for the heart.  Anyone have some advice?

Well when turkey Hunting you always want the HEAD!! At least the hunter had that part right. When deer hunting it depends on the Shot you have, the neck is a viable shot if the deer offers you nothing else. The Lung Heart shot is Ideal when you are afforded that as a clean shot. The neck shot can mess up the cape if you intend to mount the animal. READ READ READ before you go and be safe and aware of your surroundings. JMO
Scott

shogun323

I wonder if the guy had a decoy out and that's what the hunter was shooting at? It would make alot more sense.
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: shogun323 on March 25, 2008, 07:17:36 PM
I wonder if the guy had a decoy out and that's what the hunter was shooting at? It would make alot more sense.

I think that was the case.

birddog0219

I heard from some one out there and was told the shooter did shot at the decoy not a real bird.

big-daddy

10/22 ruger, No scope, 30yds, head shot......... thats my boy. ;D





Know where YOUR bullet is going to stop, before shooting!  rule one
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

shogun323

Quote from: big-daddy on March 25, 2008, 07:35:24 PM
10/22 ruger, No scope, 30yds, head shot......... thats my boy. ;D

Nice!!!! You should be one proud big-daddy!!
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

big-daddy

Yeap....... boy can shoot. 3 hogs and 1 turkey last hunting season.  ;)
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

FIRELT

#18
I HAVE KNOW THE GENTLEMAN THAT WAS KILLED AND HIS FAMILY FOR A LONG TIME ,TALKED TO HE'S FATHER INLAW TODAY,HE TOLD ME RANDY WAS SITTING IN A BLIND ,IN A CHAIR,WHEN HE WAS SHOT,THERE WERE NO DECOYS OUT,THEY THINK MAYBE HE WAS CALLING TURKEYS WHEN HE WAS SHOT BUT NOT SURE.ALSO HE SAID THAT THERE MAY HAVE BEEN UP TO THREE SHOOT FIRED AND THAT UP TO TWO MAY HAVE HIT HIM.HE WAS HIT FROM THE SIDE WITH NUMBER 1 BUCK SHOT(TO BIG FOR TURKEY HUNTING),THIS IS A VERY CLOSE FAMILY AND IF YOU WILL PLEASE KEEP THEM IN YOUR PRAYERS.

SWAMP_DONKEY

Quote from: FIRELT on March 25, 2008, 08:19:25 PM
I HAVE KNOW THE GENTLEMAN THAT WAS KILLED AND HIS FAMILY FOR A LONG TIME ,TALKED TO HE'S FATHER INLAW TODAY,HE TOLD ME RANDY WAS SITTING IN A BLIND ,IN A CHAIR,WHEN HE WAS SHOT,THERE WERE NO DECOYS OUT,THEY THINK MAYBE HE WAS CALLING TURKEYS WHEN HE WAS SHOT BUT NOT SURE.ALSO HE SAID THAT THERE MAY HAVE BEEN UP TO THREE SHOOT FIRED AND THAT UP TO TWO MAY HAVE HIT HIM.HE WAS HIT FROM THE SIDE WITH NUMBER 1 BUCK SHOT(TO BIG FOR TURKEY HUNTING),THIS IS A VERY CLOSE FAMILY AND IF YOU WILL PLEASE KEEP THEM IN YOUR PRAYERS.

OMG... Buck shot??  That is hard to believe. They will definitely be in our prayers :'(

renmus

Quote from: FIRELT on March 25, 2008, 08:19:25 PM
I HAVE KNOW THE GENTLEMAN THAT WAS KILLED AND HIS FAMILY FOR A LONG TIME ,TALKED TO HE'S FATHER INLAW TODAY,HE TOLD ME RANDY WAS SITTING IN A BLIND ,IN A CHAIR,WHEN HE WAS SHOT,THERE WERE NO DECOYS OUT,THEY THINK MAYBE HE WAS CALLING TURKEYS WHEN HE WAS SHOT BUT NOT SURE.ALSO HE SAID THAT THERE MAY HAVE BEEN UP TO THREE SHOOT FIRED AND THAT UP TO TWO MAY HAVE HIT HIM.HE WAS HIT FROM THE SIDE WITH NUMBER 1 BUCK SHOT(TO BIG FOR TURKEY HUNTING),THIS IS A VERY CLOSE FAMILY AND IF YOU WILL PLEASE KEEP THEM IN YOUR PRAYERS.

He is already there. 

big-daddy

Sorry to hear that... :(   I was wonder what shot he was using. The normal shot is 4 shot and max is BB. Not 0 buckshot!
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Da_Mtg_Man

Quote from: FIRELT on March 25, 2008, 08:19:25 PM
I HAVE KNOW THE GENTLEMAN THAT WAS KILLED AND HIS FAMILY FOR A LONG TIME ,TALKED TO HE'S FATHER INLAW TODAY,HE TOLD ME RANDY WAS SITTING IN A BLIND ,IN A CHAIR,WHEN HE WAS SHOT,THERE WERE NO DECOYS OUT,THEY THINK MAYBE HE WAS CALLING TURKEYS WHEN HE WAS SHOT BUT NOT SURE.ALSO HE SAID THAT THERE MAY HAVE BEEN UP TO THREE SHOOT FIRED AND THAT UP TO TWO MAY HAVE HIT HIM.HE WAS HIT FROM THE SIDE WITH NUMBER 1 BUCK SHOT(TO BIG FOR TURKEY HUNTING),THIS IS A VERY CLOSE FAMILY AND IF YOU WILL PLEASE KEEP THEM IN YOUR PRAYERS.

Please tell the family that they are in my prayers. I think I can speak for everyone on this one.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

eldiablo64

#23
confuscious say never go turkey hunting while wearing indian headdress
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

AintSkeered

It can happen to you, so stay away from River Ranch!
2015 Can-Am Outlander XT-P by Perry Performance Group