Cleaning Air Filter

Started by Shotgun, January 13, 2005, 03:29:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

Is it ok to use gasoline to clean my foam air filter? If so, how do I do it? If not, what should I use? Thanks

1slowfox

I wouldn't use gas , I just use Soap and water(hot)  on mine ....
I'am pretty sure gas is going to make it all gummy and nasty


Ed
I <3 Fiberglass !

VForcedave

Do not use Gas. Buy the air filter cleaning solvent and oil from a dealer. After cleaning the filter, make sure it is dry, put some filter oil and the filter in a zip lock bag and saturate the filter. Do not ring out the filter like a rag. Also the type of riding you do, determines how often you need to do this. If your always in the back of the pack, the filter goes bad quicker. Also the scenery does not change when your in the back. Have a good day.      
2004 Kaw Vforce 700 twin. Mine
2005 Honda Rancher 350 Kev Mans
2002 Yamaha 80 Raptor Kev Mans
2000 Jeep Wrangler 4" lift, 33's, winched
1988 Harley FXRP Dropped and chopped
2003 Chevy Duramax 100+K and still cruising. 18mpg.

jbbj220

Hot soap and water, a good dish wash soap Dawn works real good. Then use the proper oil. If all else fails get a K&N.  ::)
you don't stop rideing because you get old, you get old because you stop rideing

big-daddy

Spend the money and buy 2 KN filters and a KN cleaning and oil kit. I keep recycling the filter so I have a clean one on the next trip. 2 stroke failure are cause by dirt bypasting the filter.  
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Shotgun

I Cleaned the air filters on both the Kodiak and the Eiger like you guys said, thanks. I also did an oil and filter change on the Kodiak. It was easy, thanks to you guys helping me on a previous post. Saved me a bunch of money.

Shotgun

I found a great way to dry the air filters fast. I put them on top of my 12 seer air conditioning unit and weighed then down with a small wrench on top so they wouldn't blow away. They dried out fast.

VelociRaptor350

PJ1 cleaner works really good, i had that and the super tacky oil, you spray the cleaner on, let it sit for 5 minutes, wash it out with water, let the filer dry and then use that supertacky stuff, the cleaner was great, you should see the amount of crap that comes out of the filter after 1 ride, the supertacky oil dosn't let anything get by but you have to clean it more often
'05 Raptor 350
Its Slow but it Handles

www.YFM350Central.com

Mars

PJ1 cleaner and spay oil. That's the stuff. Never let me down yet.
04 Z400
99 Foreman 450s, AKA The Pig.

BILLY_JOE

#9
BUMP ALL THAT USE DIESEL OR MINERAL SPIRITS IT WORKS GREAT PUT FILTER IN LITTLE BUCKET OF IT AND IT TAKES ALL DIRT OUT AND LET DRY then spray with fiter oil
04 Z400

LRD EXHAUST PRO 4 SERIES
FLY HANDLE BARS
NERF BARS

eric

Tried "Greased Lightning" today works great at removing dirt. Soak the filter in bucket of water for a few seconds then spray it with greased lightning while in your hand and squeeze the dirt out. Soak it again and repeat a few times until clean.

VelociRaptor350

you have to be acreful with degreasers, they can start to break down the foam and the filter looses its ability to trap dirt.
'05 Raptor 350
Its Slow but it Handles

www.YFM350Central.com