Ball joint replacement

Started by yunt2ride, February 12, 2005, 08:53:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yunt2ride

I have a 2000 model 325 magnum 4wd, I cannot get the ball joint housing out of the strut housing. There is no bolt to attach anything to because the ball joint broke and the A-ARM just fell off. Does anyone know how to do this. My ball joint wore out and I am trying to replace it. It looked pretty easy but now I am finding out that it is a job. Thanks ahead of time.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

big-daddy

yunt2, check this out

The welds at the right side lower control arm bracket to axle tube attachment may have inadequate fatigue life due to poor weld quality. This can lead to separation of the control arm bracket from the axle tube.

If the bracket separates the vehicle could experience reduced directional stability, braking degradation and/or vehicle pull under braking.

Dealers will replace the front axle with a properly welded front axle. Owner notification began March 20, 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact DaimlerChrysler at 1-800-992-1997. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

big-daddy

#2
if not you are going to need this tool
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

yunt2ride

What does that tool actually do. The joint only goes in one way and out the same way. It can not push through. I'm sorry If I'm ignorant on this HEHE but This thing is kicking ny tail. If it still had the bolt attched I could just use a slide hammer but the A-ARM actually fell of and the ball joint is now separated.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

yunt2ride

Quotecan you send me some pictures?

I will get some this morning as soon as my help comes over so we can lift it up in the air. The ball part is out of the housing So there is no way to get the housing out,
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

yunt2ride

Here is the housing without the bolt, Its the part I need to get out.





Here is the bolt



Here is where it should go, or where it fell out of you might say.

1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

big-daddy

looks like this press on. is it the right side?
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

big-daddy

it think the best thing to do is buy the part. To get a better idea how to install it. The toy doctor can help, pm him.
I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

yunt2ride

I had the part so I knew what it looked like. I ended up going to my nephew, who is a welder and he cut it out for me. Thanks for the help. Now I gotta bad cv joint in the front so thats the next project. HEHE, Is ir better to replace the whole axle assembly or just the CV Joint. Gotta check prices now.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

Seabee

yunt2,  Rocky Mountain has Gorilla's for your Magnum, $350 per side though. :-/
2005-Ford F150 Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
2004-Volkswagon Jetta GLI
2005-Honda Rancher 4x4
2003-Honda 3??ex, ATP'd