twist throttle

Started by dreth, February 25, 2005, 11:46:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dreth

i keep hurting my right wrist due to the lack of a  full grip on the throttle side >:( anyone else feel this way? what do you think about the twist throttle idea for a full grip on the bar?

ripraff

My husband has one on his Raptor and he loves it

dreth

QuoteMy husband has one on his Raptor and he loves it


thank you! does he have previous twist experience such as dirt bikes?

SLOW450R

the only way to really see if you are going to like the twist throttle is to give it a shot.  You will know after a days riding weather it is right for you.

I would reccomend a high quality unit like a Motion Pro(vortex) so that if you plan to keep it, it will work properly for a long time to come.
03 400 EX.........best pit/practice bike ever
04 450R............a slow quad for an even slower rider!!
FTR #5 A-OPEN

Special Thanks to ATP Racing and my 05-06 Sponsors
www.allterrainperformance.com ...................407-880-3171
Powermadd Handguards

jbbj220

I tried a twist throttle on my Warrior and did not like it. ??? I felt like I had less control. In fact I still have it, and if it will fit your bike you can give it a try and if you like it I will sell it to you if you want. It is a Motion Pro for a Warrior. If we can hook up I will let you use it. :)
you don't stop rideing because you get old, you get old because you stop rideing

Quad32x

Hey  Dreth , man  when  I  raced  thats  all  I  would  use !  Once  you  get  use  to  it  you  will  never  use  a  thumb  again. But  do  get  a  very  good  one.  I  use  a  RM 250  on  my  500  and  it  has  lasted  a  long  time. ;D
Team LFG , Local Fat Guys.
Mystic Motorsports Vet Class Rider #32

Hoosier Daddy

quad,

 is there a twist the opens from closed to full throttle really quick?
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

J.D.

Motion Pro Vortex ! I wasn't sure that I would like it but I really do ! Less arm pump , better grip I like it  .
Arctic Cat 500 man. Dyno Jet , Snoorky , 14's , Cup Holder , Pro-Com CDI , K&N filter , .......To Be Continued ! 2001 Suzuki RM 250 ,Fatty Pipe , FMF muff ...

LE450-RACER#77

Quotequad,

 is there a twist the opens from closed to full throttle really quick?


For the Banshee motion pro makes a 1/4 turn twist throttle. It is the turbo style.
04 YFZ450 #77
Rossier Pipe
Pro Design Intake
Ported & Built By ATP
Walsh LT A Arms w/pull rod on rear
PEP LT Shocks front & rear
Walsh +1 stem
Tag T2 bars
LSR axle
LSR Front Brake Lines
Precision Stabilizer
Holeshots Front & Rear
H.E.P. Race Fender Brackets
ASV Levers
Blingstar Nerfs

RaptItUp

I have a Motion Pro on My Raptor and I love it.  It has about 1/4 twist to full throttle.  I did ride dirt/street bikes for years, so it feels more natural than the thumb deal.  

With the thumb, I caught a tree with my front wheel the impact caused me to push the throttle wide open.  Spinning me into a 180 full throttle.   The following week I got the twist. The only drawback I've had is sometimes when turning left if you are sitting back some a hard bump will cause a little jiggle and cause a little bit of throttle to be applied but with the quick twist it is easy to correct and I haven't gotten into trouble because of it.    

dreth

thank you thank you thank you! im going to give it a try!

Hoosier Daddy

thanks LE! im thinking on a twist also...
BLISS Feed, Hay, and Race Fuels Zephyrhills, Fl
"Character is what you have when no one is looking"

Ida_Mann

I've been debating this for a while as well since I go for long trail rides and usually am on and off the throttle for 5-7 hours at a time.

maybe I'll check it out as well.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

dreth

QuoteI've been debating this for a while as well since I go for long trail rides and usually am on and off the throttle for 5-7 hours at a time.

maybe I'll check it out as well.

Id@


ordered mine today

SLOW450R

Motion Pro makes 1/4 turn models for nearly all quads.  They have several different models and names, but they will all tell you the actual turn to acheive full throttle........if you have trouble with thumb throttles or become fatigued too easily, I would reccommend trying one.........there are also some tricks that can be done to almost all stock thumb throttles to make them easier
03 400 EX.........best pit/practice bike ever
04 450R............a slow quad for an even slower rider!!
FTR #5 A-OPEN

Special Thanks to ATP Racing and my 05-06 Sponsors
www.allterrainperformance.com ...................407-880-3171
Powermadd Handguards

ripraff

Dreth, yes he used to ride a dirt bike so he had expierience with it . But i have rode his quad with the twist throttle and find it easier than the thumb, better grip...

VelociRaptor350

Idk man, i rode a twist on a blaster and i didn't like it at all, i had the tendency to hit the throttle every time i landed a jump and it would come up. :o  I guess if you get used to it it would be cool, but my 15 minutes on one made me like my thumb throttle alot more.  [smiley=Approve.gif]
'05 Raptor 350
Its Slow but it Handles

www.YFM350Central.com

dreth

, but my 15 minutes on one

thats not a fair time trial , is it?

VelociRaptor350

Was for me, I hated it. Im used to having a good solid grip for landing, not something that twists.  Like i said, i would land and then it would gas , or going over whoops i had problems keeping the throttle steady because my arm would be bouncing around.
'05 Raptor 350
Its Slow but it Handles

www.YFM350Central.com

LostCause

Dreth--
I have put a twist on ALL quads that I have owned.  I feel more comfortable with it.  For racing and quick throtle response make sure that you get the 1/4 turn.  It really wakes up the bike.  
The reason that I went to the twist was my thumb was cramping up.  I had dislocated and broke my thumb so many times after about 5 min I was done.  That doesn't work when racing!!!!!!
You will like it.  I feel that it is the only way to go.
We have the ability to control our future.

www.SSQSA.net

Thanks to our sponsors: Walsh Racecraft, X-Tream Clean, Ripixx, Goon with Style, Pit Posse, Amsoil, Equalibryum, Crown Wear, Answer, MSR, AXO, Slackercross, UFO, MXRESULTZ

Ida_Mann

I'll have to try it, but I have had experience using one before, just not on a quad with as much power as mine has.

I fibnd myself hanging on for dear life when I run over the whoops on my quad, and I tend to wear out my upper body from hanging on the handlebars,,,,,but hey, it might make me go faster over the whoops ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

TRX450R_Racer

I raced XC with a twist throttle for 3 years on my 250R. I loved it. When I got my 450R there wasn't one available. After I had it for a while and got used to the thumb, I liked it more than the twist. I feel like I have better control on the whoops. Also I never hit the gas by accident with the thumb like I did occasionally with the twist. Sharp right turns are a little difficult too. It is hard having the bars turn all the way to the right and twisting down at the same time. There are some Pros who run a twist. I know Matt Smiley does.
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

lawn_man mx

hey dreth good luck with it  i had one on my z400 and did not like it. it all depends on what you like  i had the motion pro kind it felt like it was going to run on me on landings so i took it off good luck with it. maybe you like it.
05 yfz houser hiper  elka rpm alba   03 cr125   05 f350 fx4     braaauuuupppp !!!!  ftr +30B #58

wired2ride

it feels "different" my friend has one on his sport and he has great control but he doesnt jump it really or take on tracks.. his is bone stock and is a trail bike.. I like it but on track idk if i would? 1/4 turn seems pretty good but how much more important is it? with a thumb you have more precision.. 1/4 isn't much really... so your like no throttle to full?? my friends is above 1/4 i know that...

Agent

Dude, a 1/4 turn is a lot.. take your hand flat out, and make a fist, now rotate your wrist 1/4 turn... good luck going more!!!! I have always loved the twist throttle... I just never really thought much about putting one on my quad... But I DO have problems with my thumb getting tired, and also, whenever I stand up, or sit down, my thumb is always in a different position.. I never hand that problem with street bikes, or dirt bikes.. Hey dreth, since your gonna go to rodman, would you mind if we swapped bikes for a couple minutes and I could try that twist thing out? :)
2004 Yamaha Raptor Red/White
Not Stock.

dreth

QuoteDude, a 1/4 turn is a lot.. take your hand flat out, and make a fist, now rotate your wrist 1/4 turn... good luck going more!!!! I have always loved the twist throttle... I just never really thought much about putting one on my quad... But I DO have problems with my thumb getting tired, and also, whenever I stand up, or sit down, my thumb is always in a different position.. I never hand that problem with street bikes, or dirt bikes.. Hey dreth, since your gonna go to rodman, would you mind if we swapped bikes for a couple minutes and I could try that twist thing out? :)


sure thing Agent , i dont have a problem with that . keep in touch

Agent

sounds great man, don't worry, I won't be going anywhere for a while, this site rocks!
2004 Yamaha Raptor Red/White
Not Stock.