Need 2WD mud tire recommendations

Started by otto, March 01, 2005, 12:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

otto

Any recommendations for mud/trail tires for 2WD sport quads?I have yfz450 and blaster that could use some help in the mud but I  don't want to compromise trail performance.
05 King Quad
05 YFZ 450
RR Member

MadMudder

If you had a utility i would have said mudlights but i see that you don't so.. I have herd that those new maxxis razar2's are good. They have larger tread, aggresive sidewall and tougher all around. This is all coming form my bud who owns a ATV shop and races cross-country and some MX. Sport quads arent ment for the mud at all but... Mabye some blackwaters but i dunno about the trail performence. :-/
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

bbf

i would go with the maxxis they are a good tire and not so heavy

wired2ride

black waters like he said arnt bad. they look pretty good. but mud + chain = bad chain..

dirty1

well black waters are great for a sport bike, i also like mud sharks they are an excellent tire for a sport bike, now as for mudlites the work too in fact heres a set on a 350x
foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000

dirty1

foreman 450es
27 mud machine xt's
highlifter lift, superwinch 2000

otto

Thanks much. I will try mudlites on one quad and razr2's on the other and bring a friend with a 4WD just in case.  :D
05 King Quad
05 YFZ 450
RR Member

MadMudder

If you haven't yet, put the lites on the blaster and the maxxis on the yfz. The 450 will make better use of the traction and they need to be spun faster to get traction. The lites will work on the blaster beacuse they don't need as much power to get moving. I would also look into a winch if you are going to be in the mud allot. One more thing, i would also bring that friend ;D
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Truegrit

'05 Honda Forman 500 ES
HMF Utility Exhaust, Dynojet Kit
Uni-Filter, Clutch Kit
26" Outlaw/Mudzilla combo on ITPs
[url="http://www.hondaforeman.com/"]http://www.hondaforeman.com/[/url]

mudman8024

I have blackwaters on my 400ex, and I am happy with there performance in mud.  I had a set of super swampers on my old 350x 3 wheeler and they worked great.

wilburz

got a set of 22x11-9 mudlites for sale. only 1.5 months old. 90% tread. $70.00
I had them on my ozark and then took them off, they worked well but wanted some more ground clearance,  to put some 25x12-9  inch GBC gators on. Also the GBC dirt devils are pretty good tires. I got those for the front for around 33 bucks apiece.  
1978 ridin mower, 48 inch cut, 3.4 hp briggs & stratton
12-6-3 front
14-8-5 back
no muffler

otto

Thanks. I already picked up mudlites and razr2's. The razr2's are much heavier. I got wheel adpaters for blaster so I can swap back and forth. Plan to try lites on blaster first but I will swap and compare. Thanks for all the good advice  ;D
05 King Quad
05 YFZ 450
RR Member

RaptorTom

Let me know witch work out better. I have a raptor and was thinking about getting a pair of mud tires to put on when I go to muddy places.
For Sale
2002 Blaster
2003 TTR125
1999 PW80

otto

I got the new tires and went riding today. Wow...big improvement on both quads. The razr2's on yfz were much better than the stock dunlops on the trail and in the mud. My son loved the mud lites and only got stuck twice (he was in way too deep both times).  
05 King Quad
05 YFZ 450
RR Member