Help Grizzly owners

Started by ONEslowEXer, February 01, 2005, 08:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ONEslowEXer

I'm having some problems with my 660 Grizzly when it gets hot.
Last couple rides i went on after bout an hour or so of hard riding ,
when we would stop and rest for a bit, i would have troulble restarting, lots of popping and gurgaling . I would have to give it lots of throttle to clear it out then it would be fine. it also would do it if sat and Idle to long. At speed though it was fine. it smelt very rich almost like the float is stickin. I'm gunna clean the carb and put a new plug in it but im not sure thats it. Ive heard of something like that on other sites were the gas in the carb would heat up and boil and vapor lock..well if there are any other griz owners who could help that would be great its an 2004 660 grizzly with less the a 1000 miles on it
thanks Randy
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

ONEslowEXer

#1
anyone....grizz? atp? :-/
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

Redgrizzly660

#2
Check the vent tube and also the gas cap for ventilation.

Also if U ride in the mud make sure to clean the radiator with water presure to clean the fins good.

Check out link on radiator
http://www.highlifter.com/store/radiator.html


The Grizz

Nightbreed

Check out what Grizz said, as well, have you done ANY, type of mods to this quad?

QuoteCheck the vent tube and also the gas cap for ventilation.

Also if U ride in the mud make sure to clean the radiator with water presure to clean the fins good.

The Grizz
What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!

ONEslowEXer

#4
it has hmf slip on and a jet kit.. jetted by old owner :-/  I got a new jet kit on the way and a KN filter hope its something simple like wrong jetting or a stuck float...I checked gas vent what was the other vent tube?
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

Nightbreed

sounds like a jetting problem to me. Are you going to jet the bike your self. I only ask because I hate to see people waste the money on jet kits.

Give me a call if I can help you over the phone.

Thanks, Mike
What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!

ONEslowEXer

thanks alot I appreciate the help
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

4xPlay

Hey guys,also having a similar problem with my bike......stuck it in some mud and water,didnt get any in the airbox,but now it runs fine until I climb a steep grade or go down a steep hill or rip a doughnut,then it wont run for crap,will do about 15-20mph tops,if you crowd the throttle it spits and sputters,sounds just like if you drown it in some water,we've all done that......shut it off and let it rest a bit and it's ok,until you get to a hill or the doughnut deal.........any ideas??? Took it back to the dealer,but couldnt get it to "act" up,..........any help would be great,have checked air vent hose and unscrewed the deal on the back of the gas cap and cleaned that out......still no luck!!!!
'05 Grizzly,29.5x12x12 outlaws,Gorilla axles,2in. lift,maxxis 8 spoke wheels,lift springs(highlifter),1in widetrac spacers in front,k&n,prefilter,super trapp,dynojet,Power
Now,Warn 2.5,all brushed alum. bash plates(yamaha),custom graphics,self leveling beverage holder.

2001 Road King Clas

Nightbreed

What jets did you install in the bike, and how long before you got stuck, did you jet the bike?
What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!

Redgrizzly660

Turn off gas and drain the flote on the carburator until it stop draining U may have water in the flote. Add dry
gas .
Grizz

4xPlay

I added the jet AFTER I was having this problem,,we drained the bowl on the carb,no water,no debris,no nothing,just doesnt make sense(the jet,pipe,k&n were all added after this problem started)........I can ride for an hour +,just as long as I dont do any steep hills or a donut.....but what fun is that?
'05 Grizzly,29.5x12x12 outlaws,Gorilla axles,2in. lift,maxxis 8 spoke wheels,lift springs(highlifter),1in widetrac spacers in front,k&n,prefilter,super trapp,dynojet,Power
Now,Warn 2.5,all brushed alum. bash plates(yamaha),custom graphics,self leveling beverage holder.

2001 Road King Clas

ONEslowEXer

man that sounds alot like my problem also...not sure what it is im running a 175 main jet   DJ recomends a dj155...did a plug chop with that , way lean...does your smell really rich when i Acts up? what sizemain  jet are you running?
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

Nightbreed

Mabey your float level is way off. Just a shot in the dark, but some times the tab that holds the float needle can get bent from the bouncing around a quad does. Maybe when you go up a steep incline, or a doughnut it could be running the bowl dry. At this point its worth a shot, without me actually being there to see what its doing, its kind of hard to figure out.

What doesnt kill you, Makes you stronger!

4xPlay

FYI,might have left out a crucial detail,the bike is only about 3 months old,never had a problem with it until I put it in some deep water and mud,water was up to the seat(with 29.5's and a 2in lift),from that point on,it's been giving me that problem,and once that starts it doesnt clear up until it rests for a while,I would think if the bowl was running dry it would eventually fill back up and quit,but as usual I could and probably are wrong.........Even had it into the dealer,but of course I couldnt get it to "act up",and tghey couldnt find anything,and thats when the jet,pipe,etc were put on.

I'll give that a try tho and see what happens

Thanks for your suggestions!
'05 Grizzly,29.5x12x12 outlaws,Gorilla axles,2in. lift,maxxis 8 spoke wheels,lift springs(highlifter),1in widetrac spacers in front,k&n,prefilter,super trapp,dynojet,Power
Now,Warn 2.5,all brushed alum. bash plates(yamaha),custom graphics,self leveling beverage holder.

2001 Road King Clas

ONEslowEXer

let me know if you solve the problem , it might help me also thanks
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

ONEslowEXer

well i think I figured my grizz out today....who ever said the tank vent was right...My hose it self wasn't clogged but when I removed the gas cap and opened up the venting systen on the back side ...the holes were clogged with mud. I hope thats it ill know after this weekend. 4xplay unscrew the 3 screws and pull that brass vent right off the cap . clean the bearing and the vent holes that might be your problem too since us grizzly owner like to play deep in the mudddd! good luck
04 grizzly 660 Wetlands camo (Mine)
5.5in gorilla lift 29.5 x10 outlaws Hmf exhaust
Snorkeled Radiator relocated Outlaw clutch
Highlifter springs

02 Sportsman 400 Yellow Hers

88 suzuki Samurai (ours) 33" swampers 5:1 tranfercase
custom lift

4xPlay

Finally found my prob,was a elusive "mudball" in the bowl of the carb,was just up to river ranch yesterday(3-13-05)and rode for 7 hours+,not a problem........I dont wanna brag on myself,after all i just sit on the seat and press the throttle,but that bike is now unstoppable,pulled out king quads,honda's(numerous times) and even a old ram charger on 40's that wasnt able to assist due to a wet distributor........i Impressed my self,plus the 10 or so people watching..........will prob see you all sat at mudfest.....dont be afraid to say hello,look for the red grizz on 29.5's with silver flames on the tank.......
'05 Grizzly,29.5x12x12 outlaws,Gorilla axles,2in. lift,maxxis 8 spoke wheels,lift springs(highlifter),1in widetrac spacers in front,k&n,prefilter,super trapp,dynojet,Power
Now,Warn 2.5,all brushed alum. bash plates(yamaha),custom graphics,self leveling beverage holder.

2001 Road King Clas