How wide?

Started by FoxHondaRider, February 05, 2008, 09:46:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What size a-arms should I get?

+1
+2

FoxHondaRider

I love riding at Croom and thats where I normally go.  Some trails can be tight going inbetween 2 trees.  I recently went to the Dade City MX and I want to race for fun and hit up the MX tracks now.  MX is all about going wide and being under 50".  XC/Trails on the othe rhand is about stability and being able to fit inbetween those tight areas.  I want more stability for trail and the track but how wide is too wide?  +2 I'm thinking will just slow me down because I will have to find ways arund the trees and +1 for MX will be much better than stock but not as good as +2.  What do you guys think I should do?  I'm leaning towards +1 so my front will be just smaller than my rear rather than being slightly wider but I want your opinion.
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Fox17

what do you like better? mx or xc? i dont think +2 would hurt that much especially since youre not racing in croom. if it were me, id go +2 if im gonna spend the $ anyway. if youre not gonna get too serious in mx and just hit the track for fun once in a while, you might want only +1 though. just depends on how you look at it and what you like better.

digginfool

You can always go +2 and buy a set of 4+1 offset rims to get 1 inch back.  It works.  I had a Raptor that I put +2 Laeger's on and quickly found out how big a difference that 4 inches makes.  I bought a pair of Douglas Shamrock 4+1 rims which brought the overall width back in about 2 inches.  I could fit through the trees again and actually liked the way the bike handled better than with the original rims (they were Douglas beadlocks and I believe they may have been 2+3 offset because the original owner wanted to go wider without buying a-arms).  The only drawback was you had to demount the wheel to air up the tire; you can't get to the valve stem with the 4+1 offset.
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

FoxHondaRider

yeah stock 400ex wheels are about 3.75:1.75 offset so 4:1 would bring it down a bit but I dont want to buy new wheels if I dont have to.  I ride at Croom either cruising the trails, hitting jumps, or seeing how fast you can get from 1 side to the other.  I love racing my brother on his 400ex too.  Theres no better feeling than waitingfor the trail to get wider or it splits then goes back into 1 and passing someone.  I like going fast but mainly having fun.  MX i'm not going to get big into because I dont have the time to travel a lot.  I just want to go out to the tracks practicing or entering in races nothing too serious.  I deffinately do more trail riding at Croom than anything else.  I'm at Croom either every weekend or every other weekend.  My record is going to Croom 4 Days in 1 week without camping there. So should I go +1?  Or +2?
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

KD 428

#4
I would do plus .5". My friend brought his mx yfz with plus +2" a arms to croom and couldn't fit through anything.
HONDA CRF450R

FoxHondaRider

+.5 I dont think would be worth it for the money.  That would make  me only 1" wider and it would be like a stock 450r.  +1 making it 2" wider in the front would still keep me a bit narrower than the stock rear so I shouldnt have clearance issues. +2 makes it slihtly wider than the stock rear end which would more than likely be bad.  +1 it is then, now I just have to find some used +1 a-arms for a 400ex. 
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

trx#9

I was just up at croom riding my 50in. wide 450r. I mainly ride the main front pit but I decided to do a little trails after getting a work out in the pit. I enjoyed the whoops along the fence lines, the trails seem a little tight if I got off the main trail though. I didn't like all the new trails being formed along side of the main ones. They didn't seem as fast maybe because I had to slow down to much to get through. :D
I think you should stay about 48 inches. Thats my 2 cents.
Remember there's more race tracks to ride than recreational area's too.
"A SPECIAL THANKS TO MY SPONSORS"
Big Knob racing!, NewMembers Mom!
Sacks Gloryhole at the Little Bar!
Qawd32 Colon massage inc.!
Fuzzy Pickle race team!

Fox17

what about wheel spacers? i had some on a YFZ and they were god.

exrider

Wheel spacers suck on a ex. +1 long travel if you plan on upgrading your shocks.
+1 standard if you don't.   +2 will make you use reverse more than you think"if you bike is 05 or newer" If not plan on alot of pushing at Croom.

A good upgrade on the standard length a arms are yfz 450 shocks.

If you go +1 get 450r shocks

2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

out78

id just by +1 a-arms and some wheel spacers and put the spacers on before the track
2008 ltr-450
2007 polaris outlaw 525
2005 polaris predator 500
2000 honda xr 100
1999 yamaha blaster

FoxHondaRider

Quote from: out78 on February 06, 2008, 09:04:00 PM
id just by +1 a-arms and some wheel spacers and put the spacers on before the track

Wheel spacers are the biggest no no ever.  Front wheel spacer dramatically increase bump steer and rear wheel spacer will easily bend your axle.  Wheel spacers are a cheap fix and are horrible.  I will never take the easy way out that can harm your life.  Yeah thats right people have gotten seriously hurt.  I talked yto this 1 guy he raced MX and had wheel spacer they bent his axle and when h landed the axle snapped right in half sending him flying over the bars and the quad tumbling.  For shocks i'm going with 450r fronts then eventually getting all 3 shock revalved/resprung and they will be on par with most aftermarket shocks.  They willbe better than Works and just better than Elka Rec shocks for much less.  Long travel setups cost too much so I think i'll stay with standard travel.  And considering I dont have reverse (nor do I want it) I rather not push my quad and slow me down all the time.  I ride the pit but this is what I do every time I go to Croom...

Park in the very back just before the camp grounds
Ride to the pit and race around check things out
Ride back to the truck for something to eat and drink
Ride back to the pit again and have fun
Fly through the trails on the way back to the truck then keep going to the parts graveyard
Then back to the truck for a drink
Then thingy around the area maybe a little cliff/hillclimb section
Go home

So I need to kind of stay smaller than the stock rear which is 45.3" (About 46" with razrs) The front is 42.25" stock so +1 will make me 44.25" in the front so just smaller than the rear making me about the same as a stock 450r. 
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

KD 428

I guess Id go with +1" then. IMO 2" is way too much, my axle is +2 and I hate it at croom. Also I would say that gt thunder shocks are just as good if not better than the top of the line elka shocks. And you should defiantly get your 450r shocks and get them revalved before you buy a-arms. just my $.02
HONDA CRF450R

exrider

Quote from: KD 450 on February 06, 2008, 11:40:41 PM
I guess Id go with +1" then. IMO 2" is way too much, my axle is +2 and I hate it at croom. Also I would say that gt thunder shocks are just as good if not better than the top of the line elka shocks. And you should defiantly get your 450r shocks and get them revalved before you buy a-arms. just my $.02

You will have to get them revalved if you change the a arm length
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

FoxHondaRider

Quote from: exrider on February 07, 2008, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: KD 450 on February 06, 2008, 11:40:41 PM
I guess Id go with +1" then. IMO 2" is way too much, my axle is +2 and I hate it at croom. Also I would say that gt thunder shocks are just as good if not better than the top of the line elka shocks. And you should defiantly get your 450r shocks and get them revalved before you buy a-arms. just my $.02

You will have to get them revalved if you change the a arm length

Yea thats why I am waiting.  And GTThunder is a no for me I am going with a much better shock build IMO.  They are easy to talk to, quick to respond, help you with anything and know their stuff, they have awesome prices, and they do great work. 
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Fox17

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on February 07, 2008, 10:17:54 PM
Quote from: exrider on February 07, 2008, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: KD 450 on February 06, 2008, 11:40:41 PM
I guess Id go with +1" then. IMO 2" is way too much, my axle is +2 and I hate it at croom. Also I would say that gt thunder shocks are just as good if not better than the top of the line elka shocks. And you should defiantly get your 450r shocks and get them revalved before you buy a-arms. just my $.02

You will have to get them revalved if you change the a arm length

Yea thats why I am waiting.  And GTThunder is a no for me I am going with a much better shock build IMO.  They are easy to talk to, quick to respond, help you with anything and know their stuff, they have awesome prices, and they do great work. 

who?

predatorracer8

Quote from: FoxHondaRider on February 07, 2008, 10:17:54 PM
Quote from: exrider on February 07, 2008, 08:35:27 PM
Quote from: KD 450 on February 06, 2008, 11:40:41 PM
I guess Id go with +1" then. IMO 2" is way too much, my axle is +2 and I hate it at croom. Also I would say that gt thunder shocks are just as good if not better than the top of the line elka shocks. And you should defiantly get your 450r shocks and get them revalved before you buy a-arms. just my $.02

You will have to get them revalved if you change the a arm length

Yea thats why I am waiting.  And GTThunder is a no for me I am going with a much better shock build IMO.  They are easy to talk to, quick to respond, help you with anything and know their stuff, they have awesome prices, and they do great work. 

i would like to know who this is and are they local(florida)

FoxHondaRider

This company is not local they are located in Nebraska.  Check them out at http://www.cdracingonline.com/. 
2004 Honda 400EX
If you can beat me i'll tell you whats done

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com