Camera

Started by jayman, November 06, 2007, 08:11:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayman

Who is into photography around here  ???  I have a question for those who are:


I have a cheap digital camera and used it for taking pictures at the track this weekend.  It did all right during the day but is horrible at night.  I found what appears to be a kick azz camera that I think will be exactly what I need for taking pictures of quads on the track during the day and night.  It is a fujifilm s8000fd 
http://www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s8000fd/

It is my hopes that with a 18x zoom and stabilization this camera will be the ultimate for my needs.  Please give your opinions.  Thank you in advance.
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

Young Gun

Lol have you not seen my topic I made yesterday about photography.

My .02 cents...

Don't buy any other Camera except Canon and Nikon.  They both have the best lenses in the business and have the best features.  I have a Canon Powershot S3IS, which is the camera you just posted except fujifilm rebadged it... kinda like the z400 and kfx400 thing, and it works great.  Only difference between the two is mine is a 12x zoom and the Fuji is a 18x.  You won't need 18x zoom for track pics lol. 

If you have a deep enough pocket, get a Canon rebel XTi.  It's a DSLR camera and if you want to learn how to take professional pics thats your camera.
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

jayman

The tracks we go to have some distance between the course and grandstands.  I actually was looking at the Powershot S5IS but then I found this one.  Looks exactly what I imagine that I need   ???
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

AmericanRobster

Those Canon and Nikon cameras are very nice!
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Young Gun

Quote from: AmericanRobster on November 06, 2007, 08:30:40 PM
Those Canon and Nikon cameras are very nice!

+1

You cannot go wrong with Canons or Nikons, they are the best in the business period.  The quality surpasses any other maker.  Anyone who says different has obviously never tried one.  If I were you I would get the S5IS.  Or if you can afford it, or dare (lol), get the Rebel Xti.  With a DSLR camera you can take professional pictures, and change lenses.  They are MORE expensive but are worth the money.  And a tripod is a must with a higher-quality camera... I found that out when I got my S3IS and Im hitting CircuitCity up for one tomorrow :D

Rebel:
http://www.usa.canon.com/consumer/controller?act=ModelInfoAct&fcategoryid=139&modelid=14256
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

quadtographer

over the last 30 years I have used canon and nikon and must say that I stay with canon. Currently
3- D40, 2 - D30, and 2 XTi SLR's plus a large assortment of lens.

Nikon is a great camera but the lens $$$$ will kill you as they tend to be more $ than canon for the same lens.

For night shots at a track you will almost NEED a SLR type camera as the lens' are not fast enough plus you will need a good powerful flash.

pm or e-mail me if you want more info

jayman

I really do not want to go the SLR because of having to buy individual lenses, only being able to use the viewfinder and the zoom is sort of limited.
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

quadtographer

For the most part you don't need to buy additional lens. You only purchase a good zoom such as a 75 to 300 mm lens and that will take care of 95% of your needs. That is the primary lens that I use daily.

jayman

I am a complete rookie on photography and the only reason I am talking cameras is because I had a race last weekend and as soon as it was dark outside we had to put the camera away.  I am now looking for something that will handle night photos and action shots.
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

quadtographer

Canon XTi SLR with 75-300mm Lens with the 430 Flash, shop around on the web and you can get the whole package for $1000

Young Gun

What kind of camera do you currently own?  You might just not be using the settings correctly and chances are it can take night pictures very well
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

jayman

It is a smaller nikon camera.  Not very good, and will be replaced.  Now if I could make my mind up.  I looked at the fujiflim s8000fd and Casio S5 IS today in person.  I did not get to print the pics the hands down the fulifilm was much better in the zoom, focusing and ease of use.
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

Young Gun

Quote from: jayman on November 07, 2007, 08:32:44 PM
It is a smaller nikon camera.  Not very good, and will be replaced.  Now if I could make my mind up.  I looked at the fujiflim s8000fd and Casio S5 IS today in person.  I did not get to print the pics the hands down the fulifilm was much better in the zoom, focusing and ease of use.

Lol well good luck, but remember don't come crying to me or quadtographer when you realized you made a mistake ;D

FYI its a Canon S5 IS, since its your first offense with insulting Canon I will let it slide... ;)
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

Ida_Mann

I'll second the Canon recommendation, I took the below shots with my Canon Rebel XT(8MP version of the XTi which is 10MP)

not only do they take great shots in pretty much any condition, but they do it fast as demonstrated in these pics.

I have a short lens for regular shooting, then I have a 75-300 lens which is what is used in these pics from about 200 feet away.

I also love to get moon shots(the one in space), and these pics come out to be about 3-5MB in size originals if you don't shoot in RAW format so these pics are greatly reduced,,,,just for the web.

Id@







Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Young Gun

Ida I think you should trade me your rebel for my powershot and cybershot ;)

Considering my name is REBEL ;D
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

JackL

Wow, first thread I didn't have to praise Canons!!! I agree with everyone but steer clear of a rebel unless you have  money to burn on lenses. S3IS is the ticket and indestructible.
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Ida_Mann

Jack you got tons of cash just lying around,,,,,of course I wouldn't even take my $80 special into the situations you take your camera into ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

jayman

Going to the store right now, which should I buy?


Rebel XT
Rebel XTI
D40
D40x
Sony Alpha 100k


Also will the standard 20-55mm, 20-70mm (depending on manufacture) be fine for tracks or should I also get a 200mm?
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

Ida_Mann

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

jayman

What about the lenses
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

Young Gun

#20
I would get the XTi.

If you have deep enough pockets do that, if not the powershot will be fine as long as you get a tripod.

EDIT: Get the rebel, that way if you dont like it we can trade cameras ;)
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

jayman

The sony has stabilization. 

What about the lenses????
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

Ida_Mann

I have two lenses,,,,a 35-50mm and a 75-300mm, I have not gotten into any situations where I would use anything else except for indoors I would like to have a little wider angle.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

jayman

Is the 300mm necessary for outdoor tracks?
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

jayman

I ended up with a rebel xt with the standard 18-55mm lens and a canon 75-300mm lens.  This was a package deal including an extra battery and a Epson High Def printer.  It came from Circuit City.


Thanks for the help and as you can see I came around in the end and got off from the wallet.  I did it right the first time by also purchasing a 4 year damage warranty.  This covers ANYTHING that can happen to it (other than losing it) with no deductible and free shipping.
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

Young Gun

Quote from: jayman on November 09, 2007, 10:19:27 PM
I ended up with a rebel xt with the standard 18-55mm lens and a canon 75-300mm lens.  This was a package deal including an extra battery and a Epson High Def printer.  It came from Circuit City.


Thanks for the help and as you can see I came around in the end and got off from the wallet.  I did it right the first time by also purchasing a 4 year damage warranty.  This covers ANYTHING that can happen to it (other than losing it) with no deductible and free shipping.

Good call on the warranty, I have that on my Sony.
2008 KFX450R
Full DASA Exhaust, FCI, Dynojet PC5, Hiper CF1 Beadlocks, ITP GNCC Holeshots, IMS Roll Bumper, ProArmor FAT Peg Nerfbars, Red Radiator hoses, Engine ICE Coolant, Spider Grips, Blingster Rear Grab Bar

2004 TRX450R
Too much to list...

#26YFZ

#26
Hey if you have any questions about settings, lenses, filters, anything just shoot me a PM.  I'm using the Canon EOS 30d, the step up from the XTi, but a friend uses the XTi and i'm fairly familiar with it too. If you're going to be shooting at night a lot, you're going to need to save up for either a flash or a lens with a lower F stop.  Shooting stock at night is a pain.  I'm also using an Extreme 4 as my compact flash card.  Raises the quality a substantial amount. Here is a link to some of my shots ive gotten in the past year, some with my aftermarket lens, some stock. You should be able to get similiar quality from your setup.  Remember when they are downsized the quality goes out the window.  ::)











Here is the camera itself


jayman

Nice picks...


I hope the same saying doesn't go with cameras like what they say about men that drive fancy cars   :o

That's one long lense  ;D
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

#26YFZ


JackL

Quote from: #26YFZ on November 09, 2007, 11:17:25 PM
Hey if you have any questions about settings, lenses, filters, anything just shoot me a PM.  I'm using the Canon EOS 30d, the step up from the XTi, but a friend uses the XTi and i'm fairly familiar with it too. If you're going to be shooting at night a lot, you're going to need to save up for either a flash or a lens with a lower F stop.  Shooting stock at night is a pain.  I'm also using an Extreme 4 as my compact flash card.  Raises the quality a substantial amount. Here is a link to some of my shots ive gotten in the past year, some with my aftermarket lens, some stock. You should be able to get similiar quality from your setup.  Remember when they are downsized the quality goes out the window.  ::)


Those are some sweet pictures! I have found if you use 'bicubic sharper' in CS2 you can retain all the quality
when you resize. A good unsharpen mask can also work wonders.

Quote from: Ida_Mann on November 08, 2007, 08:04:07 PM
Jack you got tons of cash just lying around,,,,,of course I wouldn't even take my $80 special into the situations you take your camera into ;-)

Id@

I wish my friend, or I would have that macro for my Rebel I have been drooling over for years, but a set of reversing rings just has to do for now....and wow, coupled with the S2IS I have made some unreal micros.




The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Ida_Mann

I actually got a set of covers that go on the end of the lens that combined multiply the image by about 9x and let me get the real close up stuff,,,,I love doing that.

Id@

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Ida_Mann

by the way, if you couldn't tell,,,those are pine needles.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

jayman

Damn that is a close up, look into the water drop and you can see the reflection of other pine needles  :Clap.gif
2006 RTR Performance LTR450 #15- Mine
2008 RTR Performance TRX450R #42- Sons
2008 Poooolaris RZR #64- Wifes

www.centralfllistings.com

JackL

Quote from: Ida_Mann on November 15, 2007, 11:00:38 AM
by the way, if you couldn't tell,,,those are pine needles.

Id@


THat is cool. Here is a flea on a paper towel.



...and a quarter.



The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Ida_Mann

Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Miami450R

I just got a Canon Rebel XTi . it hasnt arrived though. but once it gets here i shall post up my pics :)
How we ride today determines IF  we can ride tommorow.
'89 240sx sil-coupe (drift car)
'07 mazdaspeed3 (daily)
'05 Limited Edition Banshee

Ida_Mann

well, I don't see a smiley for jealous,,,,so just color me jealous ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

JackL

Quote from: Ida_Mann on November 20, 2007, 06:27:59 AM
well, I don't see a smiley for jealous,,,,so just color me jealous ;-)

Id@


LMAO, when he busts out with a Canon 180mm macro f/3.5L I will get there.  ;)
The only rules that really matter are these: what a man can do and what a man can't do.

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com