Polaris Sportsman 400 Starter ??

Started by polarisspeed, October 25, 2007, 02:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

polarisspeed

Having a problem with my starter on my 400 Sportsman.. I can pull start it no problem but when I try and turn the key starter does nothing click every once while??

I tap on the starter and it starts to spin then just stops like froze? I just replaced the battery thinking it was that still does the same??

Any idea/help???

thanks
Polaris All the way....

them450rboyz

The only advice i could give to help with this problem.



Is to sell that polaris ;D
99 416ex
'Nuff said.

polarisspeed

Thanks but a starter prob no reason to sell it as run like new and only a 2004 so figure prob starter bad I am hoping is all...
Polaris All the way....

greenmachine

starter or solenoid. Actually sound like the brushes or the armature in the starter are bad to me. Pull the starter off & put 12v to the bolt on the side & see if you hear it grinding & or locking up?

polarisspeed

Quote from: greenmachine on October 25, 2007, 03:48:44 PM
starter or solenoid. Actually sound like the brushes or the armature in the starter are bad to me. Pull the starter off & put 12v to the bolt on the side & see if you hear it grinding & or locking up?

Thanks will try that tonight see what happens...

Just a B%$#$% to get to the starter on the bike.....
Polaris All the way....

bocephus300

those polaris starters are junk.. my bosses was doing the the same thing. his is a 500, same starter tho. the brushes go bad easly. its a pain to take out but get the starter out. replace them. or fix them. they kinda melt cause they are made of lead, and they just get locked in and it breaks the electrical contact
2006 outlander 800
27 laws
2006 forman 500
26 laws

PaTkRider

had the same problem with my sportsman 400. It did exactly how you explained it.  I bought the starter kit for around $40 from the polaris dealer and now it works great.

polarisspeed

Quote from: PaTkRider on October 29, 2007, 09:21:03 PM
had the same problem with my sportsman 400. It did exactly how you explained it.  I bought the starter kit for around $40 from the polaris dealer and now it works great.

Thanks.. Sent you PM having a few issues getting to starter and removing it....
Polaris All the way....

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com