calling all bosses and small business owners....

Started by Ida_Mann, October 15, 2007, 09:29:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

what would you do

slap on the wrist, don't do that again and let them go on their way.
dock pay
thanks for waiting till you had nothing to do and I'm glad your education is important to you.
talk for an hour to try to make the employee understand that they are stealing from the company

bluesman

Ida ,I would add a note to your file saying your side . you are allowed by law to.

When i needed to take off early one friday  my boss gave me some slack over it.
 but when I emailed him and his boss that I had time comeing and that
 I was going to the  MACHINE GUN AND SNIPER CHALLANGE over that weakend
 no one ever said a word..... hmmmmmmmm
                                                                       bluesman

bignickwaite

im telling ya give me his # and i will smooth things over with him. a little talk with me and youll be employe of the month again.
i love animal house....lol
[url="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/bignickwaite/?action=view&current=bikes008.jpg"]http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/bignickwaite/?action=view&current=bikes008.jpg[/url]

UncleRico

Go to a Trophy Shop and have them make up your glamour shots into EMPLOYEE of the MONTH pictures.

Then hang them throughout the office.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

bignickwaite

my wife is a manager at office depot. send me a good pic of ya ill print up a bunch of employee of the month pins , flyers, hats and sh**
[url="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/bignickwaite/?action=view&current=bikes008.jpg"]http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb171/bignickwaite/?action=view&current=bikes008.jpg[/url]

NYRAPTOR

put an ad in the paper and take all of his customers!!! start your own buisness and shut his down.

AmericanRobster

IDA,

I'm in the pretty much the same position with work and school. I am now a salary employee which sucks, but soon it will pay off and I will have a few promotions. Every Wednesday, I have class from 7-10 PM. I've  only had one time where I had to tell my boss that I needed time to do some school work before class and when they hired me a month ago, I told them that I'm in school and need time to do my work and I don't want work interfering with my education that I'm paying for out of pocket. They fully understood that. The Vice president of the company really respects that along with everyone else who I have come across. Whenever I come across a situation like this I always say to myself, " I told them that I was in school when they hired me" and just hope for no BS out of it.

Good Luck IDA.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Kawa3

Quote from: NYRAPTOR on October 16, 2007, 09:10:51 PM
put an ad in the paper and take all of his customers!!! start your own buisness and shut his down.

:Clap.gif :ThumbsUp.gif
2010 Polaris Ranger Crew on 29.5 Outlaws.

2007 Arctic Cat 650 H1

2005 Arctic Cat 650 V2

2004 Kawasaki Prairie 700

IXIswamperIXI

IDA,

    I do not think you are overreacting at all, you are still young don't think you are going to work there forever.  If you are like me you don't like burning bridges, but just remember it is just business nothing personal, there is no reason you can't look around to better yourself in pay or benifits or anything like that.  Make no mistake they probley would not hesitate to fire you and move on, just be fair and give them notice.  Good luck
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Anoriginal

Quote from: UncleRico on October 16, 2007, 04:30:51 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on October 16, 2007, 04:02:15 PM
Punch his eyes shut then tea bag him.

Finally, some sound legal advice!

Always worked for me. How do you think I got into Law School?

UncleRico

UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Ida_Mann

Quote from: UncleRico on October 17, 2007, 06:14:37 PM
Quote from: Anoriginal on October 17, 2007, 11:20:11 AM

Always worked for me. How do you think I got into Law School?

Affirmative Action.

dangit, every time I type a reply to this, I end up erasing it,,,,,,dangit Rico, you got me stumped ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

exrider

Just lost my job."store closed"  Was pretty bummed out because it is hard for a marine mechanic to find a job in October.  Have to feed the family so I put in 20 resumes and hoped for the best. Within a week I had 13 job offers for decent money. Moral of the story is sometimes you underestimate you worth to potential employers. What ever happens, good luck.
2000 400ex
2003 300ex
1997 kawi 220
1988 lt80

Sometimes I think the Gene Pool could use some Clorine

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

shogun323

Yeah so what was the outcome?

I think there is a valuable lesson for you to learn here.......

Hippies Suck!!!
"An armed society is a polite society." ~Robert A. Heinlein

Ida_Mann

Quote from: Ida_Mann on October 16, 2007, 05:06:28 PM
well he was in today so I stopped by there on my way to class(two fold reasoning,,,,one get it over with, two, if he started getting long-winded I could jump up and say "I gotta get to class")

run-down of the meeting, I let him talk first(he loves this) and I was watching the clock so these times are accurate......

he spent 3 minutes talking about how "this could be considered "even though I know this is an ugly word, but 'theft'"(yes these were his words)

then he spent a little over 5 minutes talking about how something like this is a "terminable offense" at most other companies.

3 minutes on how he likes me and I'm one of the "senior technicians" and he doesn't want to lose me over this.

So I told him that I had been thinking of this meeting for a little while and I wanted to say two things to him then comment on both.  I told him that he told me a while back that "when you are a business owner and business is good, everything is good, when business is bad, everything is bad."  I told him that I would never understand that unless I was in his shoes and that later on down the road I probably would be and then I would truely understand, but till then I would do my best to sympathize.

Second, I told him that a couple months ago when I told him about my schooling where this semester I am placed on acedemic probation because of last semester I spent more time at his shop than I did in school, and cared more about the business than I did school, he told me "I don't ever want you to put the needs of this company above the needs of your schooling, and if you have any issues with that to talk to me".  I told him I appreciated that and him more than anything because that was the sign of an awesome boss whom I love to work for, but now I'm confused when I do just what he said to do and am getting in trouble for it.

end of the "meeting" he told me that I would have a written reprimand go in my personnel file, and to expect that in a few days and that the hours I was working were restored.

I'll be stopping by the pizza hut near the house to see if they need delivery drivers.

or am I overreacting?

I just don't get it.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

big-daddy

I wonder if we can get Cheney to take Obama hunting?
1985 CJ7 Swamp Buggy named Swamp Thing
2001 Yamaha Wolverine 4x4
2005 Kodiak 450 4x4
2007 F150 Super Crew FX4
Proud RR and FMR member
NRA Life Time member

mrbones

Theft? Your boss is a little whacky. If you have done all your work and there is nothing else to do, is he saying its better to just stand there and stare at the wall? Plus, where is the gratitude for coming in to work on a non-scheduled day? Did you get a thank you for that?

Riding Old Reliable --> The Honda Recon

Ida_Mann

Quote from: mrbones on October 19, 2007, 12:25:52 PM
Theft? Your boss is a little whacky. If you have done all your work and there is nothing else to do, is he saying its better to just stand there and stare at the wall? Plus, where is the gratitude for coming in to work on a non-scheduled day? Did you get a thank you for that?



nope I did not get a thank you, in fact another employee who covered for someone else on a Saturday came in on that Saturday, but was sick so he didn't get to the cleaning(we play maid on Saturdays and clean the bathrooms and vacuum and dust the entire office), but he was there the entire day and worked on computers,,,,,and guess what, that employee got the same kind of "meeting" I did.

I don't know exactly what was said there, but I imagine it was much of the same.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Islandbreeze07

Id cut the employee some slack for two reasons. He came in on his day off. He has had things to do on his day off, but came in. Second, he did all the work. Nothing to do, so doing homework. He is alert to do anything the job required but what's there to do? He needed to finish his homework.

Perspective is a problem at times! Not every night the boss comes in at that opportune moment.

One time I was working on a typewriter. The boss leaves at that time. I'm done with the typewriter and go do my rounds. Three hours later, I need to do something on the typewriter. I'm "still on the damn thing" when the boss comes back in the same door. So I got yelled at for sitting there four hours. I told him NO I wasn't. He said no matter, you were there when I left, and you are still here when I came back in. Screw that.

Just keep your ass clean, and do the job you are hired to do. Do whatever YOU want off the clock. Then again, I used to read the newspaper on the job everyday as long as i watched the aircraft came in and do my job well. Bosses are just plain funny, PERIOD.
[url="http://mybenefitsplus.com/KGraber"]http://mybenefitsplus.com/KGraber[/url]
[url="http://iboplus.com/KGraber"]http://iboplus.com/KGraber[/url]

Life is like a farm, you gotta get up early to do the chores

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com