I'm wondering if my truck is a lemon....

Started by AmericanRobster, October 07, 2007, 09:19:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AmericanRobster

I just bought a brand new 2007 Dodge Ram Thunder Road 4.7 Liter V8 and it just seems like its using more gas then I think it should use. It says that it is rated to get 14 MPG in the city and 19 MPG on the highway. I filled up this morning and drove from St. Petersburg to North Port and back and have just over a half of tank left. I really didn't put my foot into it either all I did was cruise @ 70MPH. I have also heard that with a new vehicle that you need to put a 1,000 or 2,000 miles on it to break it in so it gets the mileage that it says its going to get. I thought I would just put this out there to see what everyone thinks.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

lugnuts

putting some miles on it should not make much of a differance im a 18 year tech for chrysler is your check engine light on? if not then all obd system's are ok. the window sticker epa mpg is just an est. on fuel economy also what brand of gas are you running and what octane? my mustang will fly through a tank of 87-89 octane in less then 100 miles thats 15 gallons gone like nothing but on 93-94 octane I can double that

steve

p.s chrysler dose not and will not guarantee fuel mileage but you are more then welcome to bring it to the dealer i'm at suncoast jeep chrysler on park blvd. and we can verify that there is nothing going on 
2004 raptor 660r 
2006 lt80 daughter's
2006 kfx80 son's
2006 ltz 400
My son Tyler #191 on his 2006 drr 70
2010 sponsor's Modded Motorsports,East cost performance,sky power sports,lost creek cycles,vp gas,V&M racing,NBS performance,falicon,the nales family tom lisa and tc
www.moddedmotorsports.com

AmericanRobster

I only run 87 in my truck. It just seems to fly through gas. It has less than 1,100 miles on it and I have the 20 inch wheels which shouldn't make much of a difference. My check engine light isn't on at all. I really like the truck, but if it is gonna fly through gas like that I'm gonna have to get something else. My dad has an 05 Dodge ram with the 4.7 and he gets better mileage than I do. Thanks alot for the offer to bring it to your work.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Ida_Mann

are the wheels stock? if not and you haven't geared down the rear-end that would account for some bad mileage, but yeah as far as that windows sticker and the gas mileage,,,,that's just a guess and is usually inflated quite a bit,,,,,I think Consumer Reports has an annual report about gas mileage in new vehicles and Dodge trucks almost always come out on the bottom of the list.

and also the octane matters QUITE a bit,,,,,I will get about 12-14mpg on the highway with regular gas, but if I put the good stuff in it,,,,well I'll give you an example, I went to see a buddy of mine in PSL a couple weeks ago and got 21.5mpg with my 5.4L v-8 F150.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

GrizzlyGator

Quote from: AmericanRobster on October 07, 2007, 09:19:49 PM
all I did was cruise @ 70MPH.

For every mile per hour faster than 55 mph, fuel economy drops by about 1 percent. The drop-off increases at a greater rate after 65 mph. The faster you go, the faster the fuel goes.

So your loosing 10% of your fuel economy plus probably another 10% for the 5 miles over 65 MPH = 20% total so now your looking at something like 10.5 city 14.5 hwy...

RE: Miles per gallon- What are you getting? CLICK THE FORUM BELOW
http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_181078/mpage_16/tm.htm

UncleRico

I was running through gas like mad when I bought my new Jeep. Turns out that my Air Conditioning was staying on even in the off position, only I couldn't feel it because my fan wasn't on, and I had the top off. It took about 3 weeks for me to figure it out.  That's one thing you might check based on my experience, only I assume you would notice that it's staying cold in the cab of your truck with the A.C. off.


UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

yunt2ride

Quote from: Can-AmGator on October 08, 2007, 06:56:06 AM
Quote from: AmericanRobster on October 07, 2007, 09:19:49 PM
all I did was cruise @ 70MPH.

For every mile per hour faster than 55 mph, fuel economy drops by about 1 percent. The drop-off increases at a greater rate after 65 mph. The faster you go, the faster the fuel goes.

So your loosing 10% of your fuel economy plus probably another 10% for the 5 miles over 65 MPH = 20% total so now your looking at something like 10.5 city 14.5 hwy...

RE: Miles per gallon- What are you getting? CLICK THE FORUM BELOW
http://www.dodgeforum.com/m_181078/mpage_16/tm.htm

What he said plus all the way through 2007 models the fuel milage was based on 55mph. On the 2008 models you will see a lower fuel milage on the sticker because they are based on 70mph. If you read the fine print on the bottom of the window sticker it will tell you the lowest possible and the highest possible. Also driving habits has a lot to do with fuel milage. Also when you get a wider or taller tire it will effect it.
1997 Chevrolet 4WD extended cab
2005 Polaris 500HO 4X4 Hunter Edition Camo

eldiablo64

I have a 98 ram1500 4x4 sport with the 5.2 and i get better milage than that.
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

greenmachine

Quote from: AmericanRobster on October 07, 2007, 09:19:49 PM
I just bought a brand new 2007 Dodge Ram Thunder Road 4.7 Liter V8 and it just seems like its using more gas then I think it should use. It says that it is rated to get 14 MPG in the city and 19 MPG on the highway. I filled up this morning and drove from St. Petersburg to North Port and back and have just over a half of tank left. I really didn't put my foot into it either all I did was cruise @ 70MPH. I have also heard that with a new vehicle that you need to put a 1,000 or 2,000 miles on it to break it in so it gets the mileage that it says its going to get. I thought I would just put this out there to see what everyone thinks.
How big is the tank? That distance on less than 1/2 tank sounds pretty good. We need some facts. How many gallons to fill up after that trip? How many round trip miles?
Get those answers & divide the gallons into the miles for the exact answer.

ex: 200 miles used 10 g. of fuel. = 20mpg

eldiablo64

you didn't accidently turn off the overdrive did you?mine is a button on the end of the gear shifter.
TAKE IT OUT AND PLAY WITH IT     AT THE  [url="//floridamotoplex.com"]FLORIDAMOTOPLEX.com[/url]

AmericanRobster

I have a 26 gallon tank. I have the stock 20 inch wheels. I didn't have the over drive off either.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Ida_Mann

you also say half a tank,,,,but did you measure how many gallons that was actually instead of just looking at the gauge?

half a tank by looking at the gauge on my truck is actually about 2/3 of a tank used already,,,,that last half goes quickly on the gauge.

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

AmericanRobster

On my over head console it says that I have about 196 miles left. Just over a half a tank. Ida, you are correct about the last half of a tank going quick.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

94Hardbody4x4

If it's a Hemi then don't expect good milage. My friend has one on 35"s(no lift and 35" are a whole lot bigger than stock) and he gets 10mpg. Granted, he does drive like an idiot, but even when he babies it he still pulls off about 12mpg.

And the estimated mpg on the sticker are from testing in a labratory in perfect conditions with a fan infront of the truck. They are nowhere near real-life conditions.
Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!

AmericanRobster

2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

94Hardbody4x4

Still, I've never seen a dodge get great milage. Not sure why, it just how they're made.

Chevy's are the way to go for milage. From the 4.8L to the 6.0L your looking at 300hp and still 15-16mpg in town.
Parting out 2005 Honda Foreman....ASK ME!

AmericanRobster

I have a 97 chevy Silverado and it gets decent mileage.
2006 Acrtic Cat TRV 500 4X4

1997 Chevy Silverado

2007 Dodge Ram 1500 Thunder Road

Ida_Mann

I was able to get almost 22mpg on the highway with my 400EX in the back with my 5.4L v-8 in my F150 ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com