Looking for a place to ride and campout!!

Started by runfox, October 11, 2007, 10:18:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

runfox

My son just got back from Iraq, and I'm looking for a place to ride and campout for me, my son and his friend. Croom looks like the best option, but everyone says it is crowded, I have never been there, so I'm wondering just how crowded is it? We might see if we could go on a weekday but it will probabaly have to be a weekend. We will have to ute quads and one sport quad so we are looking for trails mainly. Anyone ever ride in OSCEOLA NATIONAL FOREST, in Oulustee Fla? Looks like some possibilities there, but I guess you ride on unnumbered dirt roads. I'm wondering if we would get lost and need a GPS there? Any thoughts would be welcome as my son and I have never been out off our property with my Brute Force anywhere yet.
My the Force be with you, the BRUTE FORCE that is!!

TRX450R_Racer

Thanks to your son for serving our country!

Croom is great. Only the front pit is crowded sometimes. If you go into the woods and you will more than likely not see anyone. It is 2600 acres all fenced in. Don't be afraid to explore the whole place. You can get missed placed but not lost. If you head in one direction you will run into the fence and just follow it around. Have fun!
Member of South East Florida Trail Riders

Life's to short, wear a helmet.
Dress for the crash, not for the ride.
Ripped off by Brandon George.

papahouse

Try Three Lakes WMA in Central Fla. Just north of Yee Haw Junction off 441.

UncleRico

Ocala National Forest is another option for you. Big Scrub and Lake Delancy are the two places to camp.

There's a bunch of information under the "OCALA NATIONAL FOREST" forum on this website.
UNLUCKY #13 RACING  "I want to thank my sponsors, Jack Cass Bail Bonds, The Cleveland Steamer Carpet Cleaner Company, The Rusty Trombone Pub, and Dirty Sanchez's Liquor and Check Cashing."

Paul_S

Quote from: runfox on October 11, 2007, 10:18:44 AM
My son just got back from Iraq, and I'm looking for a place to ride and campout for me, my son and his friend. Croom looks like the best option, but everyone says it is crowded, I have never been there, so I'm wondering just how crowded is it? We might see if we could go on a weekday but it will probabaly have to be a weekend. We will have to ute quads and one sport quad so we are looking for trails mainly. Anyone ever ride in OSCEOLA NATIONAL FOREST, in Oulustee Fla? Looks like some possibilities there, but I guess you ride on unnumbered dirt roads. I'm wondering if we would get lost and need a GPS there? Any thoughts would be welcome as my son and I have never been out off our property with my Brute Force anywhere yet.

We haver a big Halloween weekend camp and ride at the Motoplex in a couple of weeks time.

We have tracks, trails, mud, sand, water and a few hundred )hopefully) cool people to hang out with over the weekend.

http://www.floridaatv.com/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=46&board=52.0

KD 428

we go to croom on weekdays, and are literally the only ones there besides the rangers
HONDA CRF450R

runfox

Yeah Paul_8 I looked at that website, looks interesting. Looks like not too far north of me, Im in central Fla, Deland area.The hours of operation was like 10 till dark, so do you all have camp areas on site or people camp close by or how does that work for overnights.

TRX450R_Racer so at Croom it's the pit that draws a crowd, which I'm asuming is for the sport crowd doing doughnuts and such. We would be looking to trail ride mainly as we have two 4 wheel drives utes and one sport quad. Is there any problem finding a camping spot if you get there fri evenings ?

UncleRico my sons friend Lenny said he has been to Ocala and that they are real strick about no riding in wet lands and if they even see any mud on your quad they want to fine you??? So he doesnt want to go there again, I'm wondering if he just had a bad experience or are they really that bad???
My the Force be with you, the BRUTE FORCE that is!!

Paul_S

Quote from: runfox on October 11, 2007, 08:13:25 PM
Yeah Paul_8 I looked at that website, looks interesting. Looks like not too far north of me, Im in central Fla, Deland area.The hours of operation was like 10 till dark, so do you all have camp areas on site or people camp close by or how does that work for overnights.

TRX450R_Racer so at Croom it's the pit that draws a crowd, which I'm asuming is for the sport crowd doing doughnuts and such. We would be looking to trail ride mainly as we have two 4 wheel drives utes and one sport quad. Is there any problem finding a camping spot if you get there fri evenings ?

UncleRico my sons friend Lenny said he has been to Ocala and that they are real strick about no riding in wet lands and if they even see any mud on your quad they want to fine you??? So he doesnt want to go there again, I'm wondering if he just had a bad experience or are they really that bad???

We have one camping weekend per month.

This month we are having our camping/feature weekend between the 26th and 28th of October.  Admission is only $20 for the whole weekend, camping is free. We have a ton of events going on. Night rides are allowed (all night). We have an escorted one on saturday night, they are a lot of fun.

Prairie Master

Quote from: Paul_S on October 11, 2007, 08:44:21 PM
Quote from: runfox on October 11, 2007, 08:13:25 PM
Yeah Paul_8 I looked at that website, looks interesting. Looks like not too far north of me, Im in central Fla, Deland area.The hours of operation was like 10 till dark, so do you all have camp areas on site or people camp close by or how does that work for overnights.

TRX450R_Racer so at Croom it's the pit that draws a crowd, which I'm asuming is for the sport crowd doing doughnuts and such. We would be looking to trail ride mainly as we have two 4 wheel drives utes and one sport quad. Is there any problem finding a camping spot if you get there fri evenings ?

UncleRico my sons friend Lenny said he has been to Ocala and that they are real strick about no riding in wet lands and if they even see any mud on your quad they want to fine you??? So he doesnt want to go there again, I'm wondering if he just had a bad experience or are they really that bad???

We have one camping weekend per month.

This month we are having our camping/feature weekend between the 26th and 28th of October.  Admission is only $20 for the whole weekend, camping is free. We have a ton of events going on. Night rides are allowed (all night). We have an escorted one on saturday night, they are a lot of fun.

Hopefully I'll make the NOV one if you have one / Can't wait to get back out there
02 Prairie 650
04 Ozark 250
05 Rancher 350
06 Polaris 50 
01 KTM 380
04 Gear Box
03 F350
05 Magnum
76 wife

Little redneck girl

Osceola is good,we were there today.The trails are numbered and easy to figure out.You can get a map at the ranger station or there is a gas station in town and they have free maps.Not many whoops either,thats alway good.
650 CanAM

Busta Nutt

Quote from: papahouse on October 11, 2007, 03:59:44 PM
Try Three Lakes WMA in Central Fla. Just north of Yee Haw Junction off 441.

three lakes is primarily a hunting spot this time of year is not good. yes you could ride your atv on the roads there now but it would be frowned upon by the hunters. The quota hunts are going on/ coming up and you would need a quota pass to get in I believe.

Paul_S

Quote from: Prairie Master on October 11, 2007, 08:58:35 PM
Quote from: Paul_S on October 11, 2007, 08:44:21 PM
Quote from: runfox on October 11, 2007, 08:13:25 PM
Yeah Paul_8 I looked at that website, looks interesting. Looks like not too far north of me, Im in central Fla, Deland area.The hours of operation was like 10 till dark, so do you all have camp areas on site or people camp close by or how does that work for overnights.

TRX450R_Racer so at Croom it's the pit that draws a crowd, which I'm asuming is for the sport crowd doing doughnuts and such. We would be looking to trail ride mainly as we have two 4 wheel drives utes and one sport quad. Is there any problem finding a camping spot if you get there fri evenings ?

UncleRico my sons friend Lenny said he has been to Ocala and that they are real strick about no riding in wet lands and if they even see any mud on your quad they want to fine you??? So he doesnt want to go there again, I'm wondering if he just had a bad experience or are they really that bad???

We have one camping weekend per month.

This month we are having our camping/feature weekend between the 26th and 28th of October.  Admission is only $20 for the whole weekend, camping is free. We have a ton of events going on. Night rides are allowed (all night). We have an escorted one on saturday night, they are a lot of fun.

Hopefully I'll make the NOV one if you have one / Can't wait to get back out there

Hey Prairie, hope to see you and your pops inlaw again. We are having our November feature weekend, the weekend after thanksgiving (30th).

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com