Limited Slip Differentials

Started by digginfool, September 26, 2007, 12:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

digginfool

I've got a 2001 F350 that I put an 8" lift with 37" tires.  The truck came with an open diff on the rear and I want to swap a limited slip.  Currently, running 3.73 but I plan to swap the gears to at least 4.10 or maybe even 4.56.  I definitely don't want a ratcheting locker or anything that's noisy or has a lot of lash to it.  My motor is built up (ball bearing turbo, 90 HP injectors, 5" exhaust, K&N air filter and working on a new custom tune) so it needs to be able to handle all the torque.  I've been looking online but I would like to hear the opinions of people who actually own the product.  I've been looking at Detroit and Auburn but haven't ruled out Eaton, either.  What has worked best for you? 
"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading". --Thomas Jefferson

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves ... a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."

Da_Mtg_Man

Get with SwampDonkey. He's got a fettish for  rearends.
Seriously, He is very knowledgable with the different brands and dependability.
FLORIDA MUD RIDER

MuddFreak77

Diggin,

     Youhave a Sterling 10.5" rear end in your truck.  All 3 of the gear manufactures are high quality, remember you will need to change out the front gears too.
Never argue with an Idiot. They drag you down to their level, and then beat you with experience!


'07 Suzuki King Quad
3k Warn Winch
GPS

2001 F-250 4X4 Diesel, 6 way hand

IXIswamperIXI

I usually call randy  at ---> http://www.ringpinion.com/ they have been very knowledgable when I have been working on rearends and they are good with helping you out on making decisions (for example what gear ratio) I don't know if they have limited slip rear ends or not but it might be a way to go for brand new.

Also I had a '85 Bronco with a 400HP 302 on 11 inches lift (8 supension, 3 body) with 38.5 swampers 4:11 gears were not quite enough... 4:56 gears worked great, I could gas it from a stop and light them up on the road  ;D I know thats a no no LOL that was back in the day
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

IXIswamperIXI

this is a master install kit which i HIGHLY recomend you use if you change the gears (you don't have to use yukon just a master install kit is what i am talking about)
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=337

now this link (below) is suppose to be 10.5 but all the numbers say 10.25 but it gives you the idea
http://www.yukongear.com/PartsList.aspx?SearchMode=Make&MakeID=2&MakeName=Ford+%2f+Lincoln+%2f+Mercury&ModelID=255&ModelName=F350&Side=Rear&DiffID=25&DiffName=Ford+10.5&CatID=10&CatName=Rings+%26+Pinions&CatType=Sub-Differential
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.

Chillinthemost

I put a Detroit Trutrac in my 05 F-350. It works great (both always pull off road, and will leave 2 black marks every time) and has no bad habits. It is a stout unit and has no clutches to wear out, so it should always work like new. Factory and even aftermarket limited slip that use clutches work ok when new but they loosen up as they wear and become almost useless. I think I paid around 450 for mine and I put it in the truck with 500 miles on it and I'm at 40k now.
YFZ  FTR B-Open  #12
Chillin Jr. FTR Super Pee A #12

Other Florida sites of interest: www.PinballShark.com