is gorilla winch a good winch? is warn worth 2.5X the price?

Started by jschors, September 16, 2007, 02:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jschors

I want to get a lightweight winch for my sportquad. 450ER and I am looking at the warn 1.5 rt/xt and also the gorilla xt2000. The gorilla is $109 and the warn is $258. I plan on giving the winch frequent but light load use.

Any thoughts, or anybody ever have one of these two winches?



Bigscrb15

I have a $39 winch off of ebay. Still workin 2 years later.
"When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Ida_Mann

this is why I ride the 400EX everywhere,,,,,I can lift it out of a hole if I get stuck ;-)

Id@
Id@ M@nn

www.facebook.com/IdaShotMe
'99 Honda 400EX ATP'd (quietly making noise)
'02 Honda Foreman Rubicon
'00 Honda TRX90
8 X 20 Enclosed hauler/camper
"Show me a smooth operation and I'll show you someone who is hiding mistakes, real boats rock."

dgt714

 :)I have  a honda 500 an bigbear, both have gorilla winches .And they work great.

Bounty1

I have Warn winches on my ATVs. I bought a Warn winch in 1999 and it is still working great today. After the hurricanes, we had to cut hundreds of trees out of the way of paths in ONF and drag the trees off the path. The Warn has never slowed down. I bought a superwinch and that winch had less power and fell apart while we were doing the work. It burned up and when I was taking it apart all of the screws were busted. The windings were melted. It could not take it. I went back and bought another Warn winch, I am truly a believer in them. They are great in my opinion.


                    http://www.floridaatvinvasion.com

KB

Do what BigScrub did, or Harbor Freight, or Northern Tool has some cheap ones too, maybe not the best quality, but light weight,
I'm figuring since your putting it on a sport quad you might not need a real heavy duty one.

MadMudder

Well my dads warn came with his polaris and its sees use almost everytime we go out and its usually something heavy. A big downed tree or dragging a buried 900lb polaris out of the mud. Hes had his almost 2 years and yet to have a problem. The line is held up good and the winch still works and pulls like new. On the other hand i have a venom winch on my 250 suzuki and i love it. Its usually underwater or scraping up against a tree but so far so good and ive had it for about 6months now. It was like mabye 100$ shipped to my door with everything needed to mount. So warn is a brand that your not going to have problems with at all but they are expensive so if your looking to save money i would check out venomwinches.com . 
2013 BF650i 4x4
Stock; for now..

Bounty1

Quote from: MadMudder on September 17, 2007, 02:09:47 AM
Well my dads warn came with his polaris and its sees use almost everytime we go out and its usually something heavy. A big downed tree or dragging a buried 900lb polaris out of the mud. Hes had his almost 2 years and yet to have a problem. The line is held up good and the winch still works and pulls like new. On the other hand i have a venom winch on my 250 suzuki and i love it. Its usually underwater or scraping up against a tree but so far so good and ive had it for about 6months now. It was like mabye 100$ shipped to my door with everything needed to mount. So warn is a brand that your not going to have problems with at all but they are expensive so if your looking to save money i would check out venomwinches.com . 
Hey Madmudder, Tell your Dad Medicmudder I am in Salt Springs to stay. Give me a PM.
                                             
                                        http://www.floridaatvinvasion.com